Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19293 - 07/18/05 04:17 AM Just a few I guess stupid questions?
Cynthia Offline
Loc: Spring, TX
Alright, so I guess pretty much everybody knows about my car.. But I have a few questions, I guess they are stupid but I am new at cars still and I am just thinking of some..

1) Why does my car key sometimes not want to get out of the ignition? I know it has to do something about the shift but..

2) How am I suppose to learn about my car, if I don't know where to begin to start?

3) Is there anything that anybody sees wrong with her?

4) When I was driving down the highway, I got to 85 and something smelt a little funny. I asked the person in the car with mee if they smelt it as well, but they said that they didn't. To me it smelt like burning, but I don't know.. Does anybody know where it came from or what it is?
#19294 - 07/18/05 06:23 AM Re: Just a few I guess stupid questions?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Well Pontiac kinda messed up with the wiring for the shift interlock and iirc the only way to fix it is to have it rewired. It's a fairly common nuisance problem that these cars have. As for question 2. You start with what ails you the most and go from there. Your on the right track. You can also take a look at my website there is lots of good info in there for you to use. Question 3. Not that I can see.
As for number 4 hard to say it could be anything or it could be nothing.
#19295 - 07/18/05 08:32 AM Re: Just a few I guess stupid questions?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
What kind of burning smell is it? Rubber? Electrical?
Check the belts and see what they look like. Make sure to look at both sides of the belts.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#19296 - 07/18/05 11:38 AM Re: Just a few I guess stupid questions?
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
could be a valve cover leaking a little oil on the exhaust or something. probably nothing to worry about though!
dhp 1.0
#19297 - 07/18/05 12:40 PM Re: Just a few I guess stupid questions?
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Don't ever worry about asking a stupid question.

We get people that say they know their car like the back of their hand and mention something wierd like "I replaced my spark plugs on my diesel with spitfires and now I got 20 extra horsepower!"

The joke is diesels don't have spark plugs.

Hey you're new. How else are you going to learn if you don't ask? We don't bite.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#19298 - 07/18/05 12:46 PM Re: Just a few I guess stupid questions?
TastyBake Offline
I learned about cars by having my dad open up the hood and go through the basics.
Then I pointed to stuff and asked "whats that".

Unfortunately, my dad never uses lamen's terms so I was COMPLETELY lost.

Going over the basic maintenance like tire pressure, oil changes, e.t.c. and why are they required helps. Getting hands-on with the basic maintenance and checks is really helpful so you feel more protective and responsible with the car.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#19299 - 07/18/05 02:17 PM Re: Just a few I guess stupid questions?
Cynthia Offline
Loc: Spring, TX
Hercman: Okay I will go check out your site, and also study my car more, and look up things on the internet. So do not worry about the ignition and key thing? My dad told me to mess with the shift button because it somtimes gets stuck and then after a while of messing with it, it comes out. That isn't bad for my car is it?

Austin G T P: Well, it kind of smelt like rubber burning, but I do not know. When I get somebody over here that knows more about cars then me, I will check out the belts and see if it is them. Thank you!

Snowcrash: I hope it is nothing to worry about.

TastyBake: Alright... I know that I am new here, but I still feel stupid being sixteen and knowing nothing about my car, even if I just got it. But I will ask any questions that I feel I need to now. I would ask my dad, but he kinda.. Isn't here.. o.O But thank you for the ideas, I will ask my sister to help me out, she knows more about cars than me.
#19300 - 07/20/05 11:42 PM Re: Just a few I guess stupid questions?
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
...The joke is diesels don't have spark plugs.
so what do you call it if you have a diesel and it doesn't have glow plugs, a fire plug? confused
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#19301 - 07/21/05 12:50 AM Re: Just a few I guess stupid questions?
TastyBake Offline
Some engines don't have glow plugs (ex. Cummings diesel doesn't have any). The computer just retards the engine when its too cold in order for fuel to ignite. The Cummings uses an electric heat grid. Some diesels don't even have that.

Also note glow plugs are only used to assist in cold starts. After that, they aren't used and the compression handles the rest.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel2.htm

[GONE]
#19302 - 07/21/05 01:42 AM Re: Just a few I guess stupid questions?
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Tasty: I am aware of all this, with the not having glow plug/ retard engine principal, (that's what block heaters are for) I was just getting at if the engine doesn't have glow plugs, then what exactly are they called. If you look at the heavy equipment industry, many engines quit having glow plugs years ago. example: the 50 ton haul trucks that I used to load with a loader, all of which were at least 20 years old, did not have glow plugs in any of them, yet all had some kind of a spark-type plug, otherwise the engine would have never ran in the first place

also, the cummins has a coil heater in the intake that heats the air at a very rapid pace, until the engine warms itself to a certain point (at least that's what my Father-in-law's 12 valve 97 3/4 ton cummins has in it)
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come