Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194284 - 12/20/07 10:58 AM saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Loc: southwest Michigan
Hi all. I'm new and I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Rebecca. I'm 28 and live in southwest Michigan. For the past nine years I've worked at a small independent used car dealership. We have maybe 10 cars at a time, and it's just the owner and myself, so I'm the office manager and whatever else needs to be done. I also have my own business on the side designing websites and selling things for people on eBay. I have two cats and a horse. In my free time I enjoy horseback riding, singing in the church choir, Civil War reenacting, and spending time with my family, friends, and boyfriend.

Just before Thanksgiving, after saving up for probably nine or 10 years, I bought a 2006 Grand Prix with 84,000 miles and the 3800 V6 engine. (My boss, the owner of the dealership, found it for me and got me an awesome deal.) In my opinion, the 3800 V6 is one of the best (if not the best) engines GM ever made and I don't know why they don't put it in all their vehicles. I love everything about my GP!! It's the newest vehicle I've ever owned, as my other "daily drivers" were all more or less hand-me-downs that were at least 10 years old by the time they became mine. I also have a 1995 Camaro Z28 that is currently sleeping in the garage for the winter.

savewave Hello!
#194285 - 12/20/07 11:11 AM Re: saying hello
Richard Candelario Offline
hey, welcome aboard. About the only thing missing from your intro is that you love long, romantic walks on a beach at sunset, that you love lil puppies, and you wish for world peace. just messin with ya, Rebecca.

Since I wasnt there, I cant say whether you did or not, but I think I woulda thought long and hard on a one/two year old car that had damn near 100k on the clock.

But thats not the important part. Whats important is that you got yourself a really nice car that you really seem to enjoy, and that you didnt get caught up with The Other Site.

BTW: I own a 3rd Gen F-Body. Not nothin fancy, an 85 Firebird SE with 2.8L V6 and 700R4 A/T.

Again, welcome aboard. You've found some great people and excellent information. Enjoy your stay.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#194286 - 12/20/07 11:13 AM Re: saying hello
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
congrats on the pickup i couldnt agree more about these cars, and you happen to come accross one of the best gp forum if not the best cheers

brings back memorys of those cars doesnt it rick haha want race again??
#194287 - 12/20/07 11:39 AM Re: saying hello
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
Since I wasnt there, I cant say whether you did or not, but I think I woulda thought long and hard on a one/two year old car that had damn near 100k on the clock.
You see them from time to time. It's a fleet vehicle that probably seen all highway miles.

Welcome to the site!
#194288 - 12/20/07 11:54 AM Re: saying hello
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Welcome.
#194289 - 12/20/07 12:46 PM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
You see them from time to time. It's a fleet vehicle that probably seen all highway miles.
That is indeed what it is. I've seen the build sheet and it looks like it was ordered for someone at Do It Best Corp. Could that be right? The title said Emkay leasing, and my boss bought it in the lease lane at an auction, so I know for sure it was a lease car.

I'm not worried about the mileage. For one, I don't put that many miles on a car in a year, a few thousand at most I'd say. And for two, I know the 3800 V6 will last a loooong time. Back in the early 2000s my boss had a 1990 LeSabre with the 3800 in it, and it had 205K on it and was still running well when he sold it to a college student for like $1500.
#194290 - 12/20/07 12:47 PM Re: saying hello
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Welcome aboard!

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#194291 - 12/20/07 12:48 PM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
and that you didnt get caught up with The Other Site.
What's the Other Site?
#194292 - 12/20/07 01:02 PM Re: saying hello
theone2043 Offline
we dont speak of it.. wink
#194293 - 12/20/07 01:13 PM Re: saying hello
Quote:
Originally posted by theone2043:
brings back memorys of those cars doesnt it rick haha want race again??
wanna lose again? I know you aint got the, uh, uh, STUFF to pass on the shoulder. Chicken. lol.

BTW: Street racing is neither legal nor safe at all. Do not participate in street racing. It's bad for the driving record, mmkaay?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#194294 - 12/20/07 01:15 PM Re: saying hello
Quote:
Originally posted by Rebecca:
Quote:
[b]and that you didnt get caught up with The Other Site.
What's the Other Site? [/b]
Theres another, larger, Grand Prix website that tends to be mean, full of drama, and otherwise not nice.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#194295 - 12/20/07 01:23 PM Re: saying hello
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
It's full of negative nancies. laugh

Welcome. I wonder if my pedestal as the only long-standing female here will be threatened?
#194296 - 12/20/07 01:37 PM Re: saying hello
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Welcome.
We shalln't speak of the darker place!
#194297 - 12/20/07 01:42 PM Re: saying hello
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Welcome!
#194298 - 12/20/07 01:52 PM Re: saying hello
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Welcome aboard! cheers
#194299 - 12/20/07 02:35 PM Re: saying hello
RooK Offline
I'll briefly speak of the other place: ClubGP. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Arc, how could anyone challenge you? You gave us the ultimate car exterior detailing how-to!

Rebecca, mine is a fleet vehicle... and it's pink, if that rings any bells. wink
#194300 - 12/20/07 02:55 PM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Arcxnus:
I wonder if my pedestal as the only long-standing female here will be threatened?
Shouldn't be. This is only my first day! You'll always be the female who has been here the longest.
#194301 - 12/20/07 02:56 PM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Rebecca, mine is a fleet vehicle... and it's pink, if that rings any bells. wink
Ding! smile
#194302 - 12/20/07 02:58 PM Re: saying hello
theone2043 Offline
rick you were brave id have to admit that. that road is 9 x out of 10 full of cops you just got lucky... wounder how that person's hood is taking it? haha and arc like rook said you have a specail place here no one can take it, just keep up with the good work and i might have to send my sad looking gp down south for a lil clean.. it disappoints me seeing the mud, salt, and road grime on her from this *cough, cough* beautiful weather
#194303 - 12/20/07 03:12 PM Re: saying hello
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Quote:
[b] brings back memorys of those cars doesnt it rick haha want race again??
wanna lose again? I know you aint got the, uh, uh, STUFF to pass on the shoulder. Chicken. lol.

BTW: Street racing is neither legal nor safe at all. Do not participate in street racing. It's bad for the driving record, mmkaay? [/b]
I passed on the shoulder once...I was trying to get in front of a Camaro that I couldn't pass not because he was faster than me, but because of traffic...so, I went to the far right, passed a car on the shoulder so close I could have touched her mirror with my hand, and then the Camaro was behind me. laugh

However, x2 on the whole illegal and dangerous part... lol

Welcome to the site, Rebecca!
#194304 - 12/20/07 04:44 PM Re: saying hello
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
Howdy!!! Welcome to GPN.....YEEEEEE HAWWWWW !!!(felt like being cowboy-ish today)

#194305 - 12/20/07 05:09 PM Re: saying hello
Quote:
wonder how that person's hood is taking it? haha
What surprised the hell outta me is that there were very few rocks and such on that shoulder. And I did notice from running through the range roads of FT Indiantown Gap that the fenders/rear fascia of the 07 GP prevented anything from gettin spit UP from the tires. Man, those are some nice cars. The 06+ GPs seem to have found a few more ponies to massage out in that Series III mill. Rebecca sure has a nice ride.

BTW: Im to assume from the "code talkin" between you and Rook that yours is a pink paint as well? Wonder how you're gonna sharpen that Panther's claws?

Also, do you allow others to call you Becky? That sure is a long name to type out.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#194306 - 12/20/07 05:18 PM Re: saying hello
Acefighter Offline
Oh, by the way, post some pics of your car! We loves pictures here. smile
#194307 - 12/20/07 05:23 PM Re: saying hello
RooK Offline
AFAIK, the pink GPs ended with our body style. New ones ('04+) just get a pink MK badge.
#194308 - 12/20/07 07:18 PM Re: saying hello
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Arcx is defintely the long standing female among us...you can learn much from her (especially detailing...check out her thread)...but the rest of us will be glad to chime in our knowledge and opinions (maybe more than you like sometimes lol )...glad you dig your new ride and as was said previously, we are some serious picture whores on this site...so post up that new ride and welcome thumbsup (we all like to see what you start with before the mod bug strikes)

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#194309 - 12/20/07 08:20 PM Re: saying hello
snowrider900 Offline
Loc: Owatonna mn
Welcome!
#194310 - 12/21/07 10:49 AM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
The fenders/rear fascia of the 07 GP prevented anything from gettin spit UP from the tires. Man, those are some nice cars. The 06+ GPs seem to have found a few more ponies to massage out in that Series III mill. Rebecca sure has a nice ride.

BTW: Im to assume from the "code talkin" between you and Rook that yours is a pink paint as well? Wonder how you're gonna sharpen that Panther's claws?

Also, do you allow others to call you Becky? That sure is a long name to type out.
Thanks. I spent a lot of time as I was saving up considering what I wanted to buy. It had to be something with an engine with longevity, and it had to be a V6. Four cylinder cars are better on gas, true, but they are so anemic! And it had to be a sedan because sometimes I need to put something in the back seat or have people ride with me. And then of course I wanted something that looks sharp, is comfortable, and is fun to drive. And all this had to be American.

Working in used cars, I had many chances to sit in and drive various vehicles. My boss has had a few Bonnevilles lately in the past year or two as his personal vehicle, so I had a chance to drive those and I liked them. That's how I fell in love with the steering wheel radio controls, which my car also has. I'm not sure how I went from liking the Bonneville to wanting a Grand Prix, except that I like the look of the Grand Prix better. They are basically the same car, if you think about it, because they have a lot of the same options and share the same engine.

So mine is "liquid silver metallic" with alloy wheels and ebony interior. The interior has some leather and chrome accents and, like I said before, it has the steering wheel controls for the stereo. (Sliced bread only wishes it were that cool.) It also has the five-button Dash Info Center (DIC) and factory remote start. No sunroof, but I don't really care about that. I love everything about it and probably won't change anything. I'm not really into making mods on cars. My Z28 has Hooker mufflers, but that's only because some critter put nuts in the original mufflers and subsequently I had to replace them. I've seen all the headaches that my brother and others go through in making mods to their cars (my bro has a 70 SS Nova) and trying to get them to run properly after doing so, and I just think all that hassle is for the birds. My GP runs fine just the way it is!

I said "ding" about Rook's pink car because I know that means it was a Mary Kay car.

Some people do call me Beckie, yes. You may call me that if you want. As my Dad says, just don't call me late for dinner! wink
#194311 - 12/21/07 11:23 AM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
LOL, you guys are not alone in being picture whores. I'm on some other forums, and the other one that I'm on the most is one for horsey people. We're all big-time picture whores over there. Every time a new person joins we're always saying "post pictures of your horse!!"

Here is a picture of Silver (like the Lone Ranger's horse) when I first saw her in the garage at work. I don't have any other ones yet because it's wintertime here in Michigan and that makes it kinda cold for outdoor picture-taking.

The sign taped to the window is from my boss and it basically says thanks to me for everything I do at work, here is the perfect car. I've worked for him for nine years now and in addition to being my boss he is my good friend and mentor too. The car was a total surprise to me. I knew he had been looking for one for me, but I didn't know that he had found one. He was out of town the weekend before Thanksgiving and he asked me to go to the car lot and check on the heat in the garage to make sure the pipes didn't freeze. The whole thing was just a ruse to get me there to see the car. Best surprise I've had all year!
#194312 - 12/21/07 12:02 PM Re: saying hello
hot damn, sharp lookin car. mayhaps some rims, tint, and a conservative sound system, you'd be all set. good find.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#194313 - 12/21/07 12:53 PM Re: saying hello
theone2043 Offline
rick couldnt say it any better.. the only i dont like on the new ones are the driving lights ... or also know as fogs they are retarded
#194314 - 12/21/07 02:21 PM Re: saying hello
Acefighter Offline
Very nice, Rebecca! And it sounds like you've got a great guy as a boss, too. smile
#194315 - 12/21/07 03:07 PM Re: saying hello
Arcxnus Offline
It was more of an allusion to the females that turn up, and then leave. smile

Not that I'm lonely or anything.
#194316 - 12/21/07 09:25 PM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
It was more of an allusion to the females that turn up, and then leave. smile

Not that I'm lonely or anything.
Nah, I'm not much of a flash in the pan type. I may sometimes be more of a lurker than a poster, but I'll probably stick around.
#194317 - 12/21/07 09:39 PM Re: saying hello
Arcxnus Offline
Oh, no, I wasn't saying I thought YOU were, just commenting on how-

Ah hell, no matter which way I put it, it still comes out looking the same way, so I'll just go do something else.

lol
#194318 - 12/22/07 09:41 PM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
-a lot of other chicks show up and then disappear rather promptly?

It's OK. I'm sure a lot of chicks don't stay around. How are you to know if I'm any different?
#194319 - 12/22/07 11:12 PM Re: saying hello
Arcxnus Offline
Quote:
Oh, no, [b]I wasn't saying I thought YOU were. [/b]
Also, a couple of girls have stayed around for quite awhile. It sounds like you're putting words in my mouth, but to avoid sounding argumentative, I'll just apologize if you took it in a way that I didn't intend.
#194320 - 12/26/07 04:55 AM Re: saying hello
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Welcome aboard and it's nice to see girls that take an interest in nice cars,I will say that if you hang around here you'll be tempted to start modding wink .Chico(pops)
#194321 - 12/26/07 11:51 AM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
Also, a couple of girls have stayed around for quite awhile. It sounds like you're putting words in my mouth, but to avoid sounding argumentative, I'll just apologize if you took it in a way that I didn't intend.
No, I wasn't offended, so don't worry about it.
#194322 - 12/26/07 11:53 AM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
I will say that if you hang around here you'll be tempted to start modding wink
Probably not, because I enjoy driving my cars much more than I enjoy watching them sit in the garage half taken apart and not running. banghead
#194323 - 12/27/07 12:26 AM Re: saying hello
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Yeah, but wouldn't you enjoy just a little bit more power? With our great advice you'll get the most out of your money and it will be a cinch smile
#194324 - 12/27/07 08:19 AM Re: saying hello
HercMan(Rob) Offline
An open cone intake freed up a couple of MPGs on mine smile

I hear power logs and a DP add a couple more smile
#194325 - 12/27/07 09:01 AM Re: saying hello
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
An open cone intake freed up a couple of MPGs on mine smile
Same here. wink

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#194326 - 12/27/07 10:49 AM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Hmmm, better gas mileage... tempting...........

No!! Must resist!! Must be able to drive car!! Must not take apart!! banghead
#194327 - 12/27/07 11:28 AM Re: saying hello
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Very easy DIY job too.
#194328 - 12/27/07 11:55 AM Re: saying hello
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
and costs very little.
#194329 - 12/27/07 12:00 PM Re: saying hello
Arcxnus Offline
And won't take more than an hour, at most. Even if you put a box around it.
#194330 - 12/27/07 05:57 PM Re: saying hello
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
i have 2 right ups that you can use PM me if you want them
#194331 - 12/27/07 08:42 PM Re: saying hello
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
quote:
Originally posted by Rebecca:
Hmmm, better gas mileage... tempting...........

No!! Must resist!! Must be able to drive car!! Must not take apart!! hammer
#194332 - 12/28/07 04:44 PM Re: saying hello
Rebecca Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 4drgt:
i have 2 right ups
What is that?
#194333 - 12/28/07 04:53 PM Re: saying hello
he meant write-ups. They're instructional posts on how to do...whatever they're writing up. do a search on here using keyword: write up. you'll find a few tasty lil nuggets spread throughout. hubs, brakes, top swaps, suspension, exhaust, sound and A/V, whatever.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#194334 - 12/28/07 07:01 PM Re: saying hello
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
sorry for the improper grammer lol .... one is extreamly easy and one takes a little more time ... they would bolth work great though.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >