Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194655 - 09/07/08 08:00 PM Unusal Races
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
What are some unusual races you guys have seen (or taken part in lol ), either at the track or on the street. Could even just be an unusual outcome.

I ask because I saw one today. It was a Mazda (Protege, I think) and a older domestic motorcycle. Not a big Harley, but almost certainly a domestic. I was about to turn left when the guy on the bike revved his engine at the Mazda. I'm thinking "This I gotta see." So I stay straight, and after they start accelerating, I punch it. I'm kinda thinking I'll ride right up behind them, but surprisingly, with me getting about a 1.5 second late start, the three of us were exactly evenly matched. eek The moment we hit 100, they braked, and I turned around (not at 100, of course lol ) and continued home.

I'm thinking I probably didn't have the pedal at WOT though, because I'd first seen the Mazda when he floored it around a truck, and the smoke coming out of his ricer exhaust was what caught my eye. I punched it behind him, matched him, then realized the pedal was about .5" from all the way down. I pushed it down the rest of the way, and started gaining, till he let off at 85 or so. I probably did the same thing the second time. The reason is, when I'm just cruising, I had my foot resting near the bottom of the pedal, so when my foot hits the floor, the top of the pedal doesn't. Regardless, that Protege was NOT stock, to match a GTP. Impressive, really. Kudos to the middle aged guy on the bike, too. Didn't expect him to try and race the Mazda when we passed him. lol

What are some unusual races you guys have seen?

*DISCLAIMER* I don't condone street racing, but just for the record, this all happened when we happened to hit a very long, straight, flat piece of road that was completely devoid of traffic.
#194656 - 09/07/08 10:32 PM Re: Unusal Races
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
I raced my friend of his streetbike, a 93 Kawi Ninja 500. From a dig he can beatme, but from a 20+mph roll I pwn him, heavily.

"Mr. Mom"
#194657 - 09/07/08 11:02 PM Re: Unusal Races
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I seen a brand new Toyota tundra with the 5.7 liter engine race a new porsche boxer and the truck did better than I thought but didn't win of course.
#194658 - 09/08/08 01:10 AM Re: Unusal Races
Acefighter Offline
When you said the truck did better, I started to get worried. lol I've raced a number of idiots in trucks, but that was discussed in another thread. lol
#194659 - 09/08/08 06:17 AM Re: Unusal Races
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Many years ago, not long after I had gotten out of high school, I clearly remember an eye opening night I spent at the drags. I had a pit pass that night since a co-worker of mine was racing and I was helping on cool down between runs...but when the street brackets were up I would wander over to the lanes and check out the action. There were plenty of what we now refer to as musclecars in attendance that night...Challengers, Trans Ams, Camaros and Mustangs as well some of the lesser known two door sedan. Needless to say there were many healthy sounding big blocks that were ripping off low 13 and high 12 second passes.
But much to my amazement there was one very unassuming in the lanes...an orange volkswagen karmman ghia...equipped with slicks and a pissed off bumblebee exhaust note...and to the shock of all who watched, this angry little insect of a car sent all comers packing. Some cars redlighted trying to beat him while others he just plain embarrased. I finally wandered over to him in the pits to get a look at this giant killer. Sure enough it was packing an overbored VW 4cyl with double downdraft carbs...proof positive that with a skilled driver, "Light makes Might!"
Without a doubt the baddest VW I've ever seen.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#194660 - 09/08/08 02:00 PM Re: Unusal Races
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
A buddy of mines dad runs a VW shop, and as an advertisement for the shop he runs an 80 rabbit. The car runs some mid-high 12's with a little 4 banger. They suprised the hell out of a new 05 mustang gt with bolt ons. The guy wouldnt even get out of his car in the staging lanes after.
#194661 - 09/08/08 04:31 PM Re: Unusal Races
Acefighter Offline
I don't understand that. Personally, I'd respect the guy that could beat me with a little 4 banger. It means he knows what he's doing.
#194662 - 09/08/08 04:42 PM Re: Unusal Races
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
A buddy of mines dad runs a VW shop, and as an advertisement for the shop he runs an 80 rabbit. The car runs some mid-high 12's with a little 4 banger. They suprised the hell out of a new 05 mustang gt with bolt ons. The guy wouldnt even get out of his car in the staging lanes after.
A couple months ago I was watching Pass time and they had quite a few bugs that would get upper 9s low 10s and bunch that ran 12s.

Sleepers.

You just never know what you line up against.
#194663 - 09/12/08 12:42 AM Re: Unusal Races
Acefighter Offline
I had one tonight, but it wasn't so much the race that was unusual as the circumstance that led to it.

I happened to turn into my apartment complex behind a Civic that I didn't recognize. No big deal, there's lots of cars I don't know here. I'd noticed him behind a truck revving his engine. It sounded like something was wrong with it. Pretty sure it was stock, it didn't even have a coffee can exhaust. Anyway, I happened to follow him through the complex, and apparently he took it the wrong way. He was almost idling through, and I was looking for a spot to safely pass him (not an easy thing to do). He suddenly swerved right and stopped. I went left around him, and he hooked a U and sped away. I thought, "Hmm, that's odd." Since the complex is a circle, I kept going, and got behind him as he left the complex.

I passed him on the road, just doing the speed limit (he was going 15 below, trying to get me to pass him). After I got in front of him, he pulled in behind me. After a minute, he swerved into the next lane and tried to fly past me. You could tell, because when his engine revved high, it made a really funny noise. Needless to say, he failed. I saw him try and do a ricer fly by, and waited for his front bumper to match my rear bumper, then floored it. Despite him doing 15mph or so faster than me, he never broke even, I pulled away. We got to a red light, and he pulled up next to me. Dropped it into second, green light, left him like he was standing still. Let off at 60, and as he pulled up close to me, I turned suddenly into a neighbor hood, so he couldn't keep trying to race me.

He never did return to my complex, as far as I know. The fact that he didn't return, and that he acted suspicious, mixed with the fact that he looked like a thug makes me wonder what he was doing there. He acted in the complex like me being behind him spooked him. Hopefully, I scared off someone who shouldn't be here. And smoked some rice at the same time.
#194664 - 09/12/08 11:34 AM Re: Unusal Races
20gtp02 Offline
Last week I was coming up to a Red light and caught what I believe a V6 camaro, 90s gen, with like 18s and exhaust. My windows were up, so he couldn't see in. But his were down. I saw his little gf in the passenger seat. I decided to power brake a little to get my exhaust tone going. He looked over and smiled. Then he looked at his chick, they did some bickering, and then I heard his exhaust. Well he took me for a few inches off the line, I had maybe 15% throttle and broke the tires loose, let off and then just smashed it. Blew past him. I stopped at around 60 when he decided to come back up and try to fly by. I hit it again taking it to 90 and smoked him! Oh yah, the speed limit was 45mph.
I am assuming he had something done to the car, it wasn't dog slow like I assumed. Maybe a cam or something he had in it.

#194665 - 09/14/08 08:48 PM Re: Unusal Races
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
i raced my friend who is a livonia police officer, he was driveing a dodge magnum cop car. lights going siren everything.
couldent hardly hear it over my open dopwnpipe smile smile
i WON smile

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#194666 - 09/25/08 01:39 PM Re: Unusal Races
Acefighter Offline
Dude, that's awesome. lol I've wanted to race a crown vic, because I think I could take one in a stock GTP, at least up to the speed limiter. Don't know a cop though, and I don't feel like getting arrested just to try. lol
#194667 - 09/25/08 01:45 PM Re: Unusal Races
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 2fast4u:
i raced my friend who is a livonia police officer, he was driveing a dodge magnum cop car. lights going siren everything.
couldent hardly hear it over my open dopwnpipe smile smile
i WON smile
Was it a V8 or the anemic V6?
#194668 - 09/25/08 11:32 PM Re: Unusal Races
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
livonia only buys the v8's

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#194669 - 09/26/08 12:19 AM Re: Unusal Races
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
The Virginia state police chargers here are all v8's that I seen, they use v8's here because we have alot of rich people here that have exotic cars, especially in DC. I seen a yellow 360 modena running from the cops one time when I was on break, never heard a engine scream so loud before.