Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196989 - 07/30/06 08:11 PM Buy a GTO or not?
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Okay, my finances are good right now:

I have two established credit card accounts, both paid off in full.
I now own my grand prix and my beater sentra.
My current insurance cost is $90/month for full coverage.
Current monthly bills total out around $2300-$2600 (friggin expensive Cary, NC rent...)
Current monthly income is $3300
I keep my savings up at $4-5k and usually $1k in checkings for bills and whatnot.

Now, as great as it all seems I fear putting myself financially into a rut. But, any of my family and my wife will say I am overly frugral and worriesome about finances.

Should I finally get the car I've been craving? I just saw a super-hot red '06 with the black accents and some nice aftermarket wheels and have been wanting one for quite awhile.

If I should get one, where at? I'm going used, no sense in paying $34-35k new when a 6 month old car goes for $26-28k. Unfortunately, I only seem to be able to locate a good variety through Carmax and auto trader. Anyone here have good or bad experiences with Carmax?

Thanks for any feedback guys!

edit: I will be keeping the GP as a daily driver. My SE is going to be driven until it falls apart and explodes. Period.

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#196990 - 07/30/06 08:34 PM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I say keep saving and wait for that new Camaro smile
#196991 - 07/30/06 08:40 PM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
umm...if you have to ask other peoples opinion that you dont really know all that well about purchasing a new car, then you probably should sit on the money until you can come up with a clear decision on your own. no sense having someone else talk you into buying a $28,000 vehicle.
#196992 - 07/30/06 09:40 PM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
cheers
#196993 - 07/30/06 09:47 PM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
ShawnGP Offline
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Quote:
u like the new camero? its okay but the fronts to big, it looks like a new mustang then a chevy! lol, they screwed up big time on it, but its not to bad. 2009 baby! :p
#196994 - 07/31/06 05:50 AM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Buy the GTO anyone that does'nt realize the collectors potential for a car that had a 3yr production run is not awake,Carmax is a pretty reliable outfit as far as I know,the GTO is a quick tight handling rear wheel drive with a proven power train the interior is great and the potential is unlimited of course I'm a little biased .Chico.
#196995 - 07/31/06 07:05 AM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
DoberManJT Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by brown:
umm...if you have to ask other peoples opinion that you dont really know all that well about purchasing a new car, then you probably should sit on the money until you can come up with a clear decision on your own. no sense having someone else talk you into buying a $28,000 vehicle.
Actually, over the past two years I've gotten tons of great info and advice from these guys. Are they the end-all of my decision - no. But I value their opinions and insight.

However, Herc and Jizz, I have to admit I really am not flipping about the new camaro... it just doesn't do it for me.

#196996 - 07/31/06 07:35 AM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
Buy the GTO anyone that does'nt realize the collectors potential for a car that had a 3yr production run is not awake.
Yeah, like the Cadiallac Catera or Lincolm Blackwood. Ok, bad examples.
#196997 - 07/31/06 09:54 AM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
The GTO will be back. The first run of the "new" GTOs was to get them on the market. One year hiatus until the plant here in the states is upto speed producing new ones.
#196998 - 07/31/06 09:56 AM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Well since your not into the new camaro.

What kind of lifestyle do you live? What are your hobbies? Will a $400 payment plus insurance cut into your fun?

If not I say go for it. You only live once.
#196999 - 07/31/06 10:39 AM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
black97 Offline
Loc: ohio
My father bought a brand new gto last fall for $27,500 they have been having one hell of a time selling them. The dealership in dayton we bought ours from was telling us how difficult they have been to sell so maybe you could get a new one. Just a thought. My father loved his but thought it was a little dissapointing in how fast it was. But it is a very road worthy car. It is heavy and you can feel that it is heavy. It feels heavy,solid and as if it will do anything you ask of it. Its a cool car and it doesnt feel like an amrerican car when you drive it. (good reason for that,being built in australia). He sold it about a month ago with 5k on it for 25,500 and is waitng on the camaro with the LS7!
#197000 - 07/31/06 01:20 PM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
DoberManJT Offline
Quote:
The GTO will be back. The first run of the "new" GTOs was to get them on the market. One year hiatus until the plant here in the states is upto speed producing new ones.
I did not know they were following through with a new version of the GTO -- any legitimate specs/photos available? Or is it just the current GTO style taking a hiatus and coming back relatively unchanged?

#197001 - 07/31/06 03:18 PM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
From what I've read it'll be on a new platform. I haven't seen pics or such yet.

Keep your eyes on
http://gminsidenews.com/

Check out this tease

Taken from GMI future product news

Pontiac GTO: The Goat will go on a 24-48 month hiatus starting in 2007. While on hiatus, a new GTO will be in the works to arrive in 2008. It will share components with the Camaro, but insiders assure us that they will not share any sheet metal.
#197002 - 07/31/06 08:11 PM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
ButtFuzzy Offline
Loc: Cattaraugus county, NY
What're you waiting for? You only live once, you know. Buy the car cause you might not get another chance to after this. Besides, look at that 'sneakpeak' up there - Can you say 'ugly car'?
#197003 - 08/01/06 02:36 AM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I hope the new GTO is not like that, very ugly. But I'm saving up to get me a new camaro or gto in 2008-09 depend on what looks better and engine choices which they probably will be the same. But as of now Im driving my se until the wheels fall off.
#197004 - 08/01/06 02:46 PM Re: Buy a GTO or not?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
I love GTO's...

I wonder what the new gen will look like..

If your heart is in it, go for it.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >