Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198131 - 03/24/08 11:20 PM Computer geniuses please step in *Update*
20gtp02 Offline
I am trying to capture video from my new canon gl2 onto my comp. I uploaded the cd. It has Canon dvc storage driver, and three still photo programs. The camera can take stills. I look through the manual and the manual for the disk and it all talks about photos, not video really. I called canon, and asked them why the dv cable I was using from the package wasn't working. Well that cable is meant for the still photos. I need a 4pin to pin firewire cable, not included. I don't get why there is this nice digital camcorder playing around with all this photo crap. He said they don't know what type computers all customers have, so they don't supply the cable. Well it is either usb or firewire and firewire is best for video capture, this is my knowledge. So what can't they supply a damn cable. So I checked out device manager and don't see my IEEE 1394 (firewire) port on there. I only have one port. My other computer has 3 ports, and I used the computer once using the firewire ports to capture video with a dinky camcorder. I am lost. Searched internet like crazy and nothing helps me out. I am going to call Canon again tomorrow and probably call my computer company who built the thing. I looked inside and it seems like the port is wired up.

#198132 - 03/24/08 11:38 PM Re: Computer geniuses please step in *Update*
97GrandprixGT Offline
Loc: South KY
Im glad u got the GL2 laugh thumbsup I hope your loving it like i love mine. and how much did you pay?
#198133 - 03/24/08 11:38 PM Re: Computer geniuses please step in *Update*
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Generally, I use a USB->Firewire cord for all my camea stuffs.

I don't have any cameras or anything of my own so this is somewhat alien to me.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#198134 - 03/24/08 11:43 PM Re: Computer geniuses please step in *Update*
20gtp02 Offline
Thanks Luke, I will update my link soon, it is the I got shafted thread. I will update the final cost. Check that link out for info. I just need to figure out how to capture the video to my pc. I haven't had issues till now messing with video to the pc.

#198135 - 03/25/08 03:14 PM Re: Computer geniuses please step in *Update*
20gtp02 Offline
I went ahead and bought a $20 firewire card with 3 ports!