Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198207 - 12/14/06 12:19 AM fix a flat problem
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
I bought a can of fix a flat, the aerosol sealer for air leaks in tires, cuz my rear right tire has a slow leak in it. I was putting the sealant into the tire when I started hearing a hissing coming from the can and I figured that the there was a little air leak in the hose, no biggy. Well it turned out to be a problem. I continued to spray the stuff into my tire and POP, the hose that was hooked to the tire blew up and the stuff went all over the side of my car. I went to a car wash and tried my best to get it off, but I can still see spots on the it where there is residew. I tried my best to get it off but its a pain. I couldnt work on it long because I had to go to work. Any suggestions on how to get it off?
#198208 - 12/14/06 08:24 AM Re: fix a flat problem
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
It was your cars way of telling you to stop putting that junk in the tires. That stuff will jack around with the balance of the tire.

You may need to wash with some liquid dish soap, then you'll need to wax after that since the dish soap will remove any wax that's on the car.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#198209 - 12/14/06 10:10 AM Re: fix a flat problem
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Wow, thats nasty... try why Austin said... hopefully it didnt eat into the clearcoat
#198210 - 12/17/06 06:27 PM Re: fix a flat problem
20gtp02 Offline
Try to get some money out of that company. LOL

#198211 - 12/17/06 07:09 PM Re: fix a flat problem
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
In the future, don't use the stuff lol. I've been told by different mechanics that it's a bad idea to use the stuff in a tire. When you get new tires, the people putting on the tires won't have an easy time doing it.

It's pretty cheap to get a leak fixed in a tire...had a to have a valve replaced one time on a tire, it was only 5 bucks or something, probably less than the can of fix a flat.
#198212 - 12/18/06 08:17 AM Re: fix a flat problem
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Fix-A-Flat is recommended for tires that will be replaced within 100 miles or so. Since all the gook will be drawn to the leak, you'll be way out of balance. I had a buddy that put it in not knowing this and was lucky enough to get the dealer to clean out his tire for a nominal fee so he didn't have to get a new one.

Bobby is right about the dish soap, I'd say it's your best bet. Get some wax on it after you're done.