Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19830 - 01/02/03 05:09 PM Gear noises?
Brian N. Offline
Loc: Sheboygan, WI
I've had my '99 GT for about 9 months now. I absolutely love it! Too bad I can't afford a GTP! mad

Anyways, just recently, I noticed that my gears are making noises they shouldn't be making. I sure know it isn't the RPM making the noise.

I noticed it due to accelerating and actually having my music more on the "soft" side. So I decided to stop and shift to 1st gear. You accelerate, and you hear a whining noise at maybe 3200RPM+. You put it into 2nd and accelerate, you'll hear it also. You hardly notice it in 3rd or D. I checked it out with one of my brothers friends who also owns a GP GT ('99 or '00) and his doesn't make the noise. I know this isn't due to being cold, because the engine was hot when we tried it out again.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this, or have a solution?

To add:

Milage: 31100
Year: 1999
Model: GT

I never had to have any service done on it, other than the brakes and rotors. (1 was warped)

Before I bought the car, I had gotten a CarFax report on it, making sure it wasn't in any major accidents. I was never in one, nor nothing noted as happening to the vehicle. It was owned by a business who traded it in and no signs of abuse.
#19831 - 01/21/03 03:56 PM Re: Gear noises?
Corey Smith Offline
Loc: Greenville, MI
I have a 1997 GT automatic w/ close to the same problem. There is a whine or a hum while going down the road, it is worst between 50-60mph, but no one had been able to tell me what is causing it. If you hear anything, let me know. Thanks
#19832 - 01/23/03 10:37 AM Re: Gear noises?
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
Where does the whine actually come from . I have increased the pressure of the A/T and it has a little whine. The higher the pressure of the transmission lines the higher the pitch of the whine is. That is one suggestion.
#19833 - 01/27/03 01:31 PM Re: Gear noises?
Corey Smith Offline
Loc: Greenville, MI
The noise in my 97 GT is comming from the front drive terain. Right between the front wheels.