Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198667 - 03/21/08 10:53 AM Re: For people that owns a house or have a valid information on buying houses.
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
You also need to consider PMI(Private Mortgage Insurance) if you don't have 20% down payment. It is required.
Not necessarily. I spent $280k on my house and when I did the math with my mortgage broker, it was cheaper for me to do a split mortgage (80/15/5 ratio) than PMI. I put $14k down, have one mortgage for $224k and a second mortgage $42k. It works out to $2,059.72 a month instead of a single 95% mortgage that was going to cost me ~$2,300 a month including PMI. That's also assuming that you're let out of PMI on time. When you do get your mortgage principal down to 80% of your purchase price, you can petition your mortgage company to drop the PMI, but they're not obligated to do so if you have any blemishes in your payment history.
#198668 - 03/23/08 03:06 PM Re: For people that owns a house or have a valid information on buying houses.
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
[b] You also need to consider PMI(Private Mortgage Insurance) if you don't have 20% down payment. It is required.
I did the math with my mortgage broker, it was cheaper for me to do a split mortgage (80/15/5 ratio) than PMI.[/b]
That's exactly what I did. Too lazy to 'splain it. Thanks for doing so.

http://pdxcgp.com
#198669 - 03/23/08 10:33 PM Re: For people that owns a house or have a valid information on buying houses.
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Well thanks for the info everybody but I decided not to do it because of my supervisor.

He said a very important thing to me, "If you have question then your not ready to buy a house yet"

So I thought about it and he is correct.
#198670 - 03/24/08 12:15 PM Re: For people that owns a house or have a valid information on buying houses.
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
You should always question buying a house. For most people it's the most expensive purchase they will ever make. You may think you've made a decision, but it will be in the back of your head until you pull the trigger even if it's a few years away.

As long as you do it right, then you're all set. My wife and I moved into our first apartment and decided that if we were going to blow money on rent, we should save just as much. Every month we would pay our $940 rent and put $1k into our Emigrant Direct savings account. This did two things: 1) Proved that we could afford our mortgage and 2) provide us cash for when we did buy our house. We put $14k down and then still have about $5k to play with. We've gone through most of that now and we're glad we did it.