Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202608 - 09/27/07 09:58 PM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
HMMWV is the military designation for the Hummer H1. The term Humvee came from HMMWV.
#202609 - 09/28/07 12:07 AM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
Richard Candelario Offline
High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle

Light Medium Tactical Vehicle

Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles

and some that I havent mentioned, but you may have heard else where:

MTV: Medium Tactical Vehicle

HEMMT: High Mobility Expandable Tactical Truck (Hem-it)

PATRIOT: Phased Array Tracking to Intercept Of Target

The Hummvee was indeed the precursor to the H1, and was being called the Hummer before GM released the greatest off-road pick-up ever to the civilian market. The Hummer H1 that yall know of is pretty much the same thing as the Hummvee, except the H1 is much prettier, safer, comfort-minded, and quiet than the military version ever hoped to be.

Another tidbit of info most dont know: Chrysler, Ford, GM, and AMC all cooperated in the development of the Hummvee. Ford had the original frame, GM had the power train, Chrysler had the interior layout and wire routing, AMC had the body. AM General ended up getting the rights to all portions of the Hummvee and is now the sole owner of the Hummvee fame.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#202610 - 09/28/07 01:08 AM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
Baas140 Offline
Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
my dad told me when he was in the Navy, they used to call a mop bucket a cadillac... the officer would ask the crew "who here wants to drive a cadillac?"... the new guys on the ship would raise their hands... needless to say, they got to drive the cadillacs all over the deck of the ship while mopping haha...
#202611 - 09/28/07 01:39 AM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
PATRIOT: Phased Array Tracking to Intercept Of Target

The Hummvee was indeed the precursor to the H1, and was being called the Hummer before GM released the greatest off-road pick-up ever to the civilian market. The Hummer H1 that yall know of is pretty much the same thing as the Hummvee, except the H1 is much prettier, safer, comfort-minded, and quiet than the military version ever hoped to be.

Another tidbit of info most dont know: Chrysler, Ford, GM, and AMC all cooperated in the development of the Hummvee. Ford had the original frame, GM had the power train, Chrysler had the interior layout and wire routing, AMC had the body. AM General ended up getting the rights to all portions of the Hummvee and is now the sole owner of the Hummvee fame.
I knew what a Patriot was, but I had no idea it actually stood for something...lol

Interesting fact about the Humvee, Richard. I would love to own an H1 (other than the MPG, anyway) but the H2 and H3 need to be taken off the roads and used for target practice or something... wink

Oh, and has anyone had any experience getting any FNG forms? I haven't, but it's one that I've heard about on a number of occasions...don't know if it's used in the military or not.
#202612 - 09/28/07 12:40 PM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
lol, gonna hafta use that. FNG isnt really used that much anymore in the Army. lol, where'd that Private run off to? hehe...

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#202613 - 09/28/07 01:18 PM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Surplus H1s can be found on ebay for about 30k. Comfortable they are not but diesel powered go anywhere FTW.

And AM General was bought out by GM.

Plus civilian H1s are no longer produced. Only military versions are.

H2 is a blended frame suburban rear tahoe front.

I wouldn't mind an H3. Better suited for off road duty then it's bigger brother the H2.
#202614 - 09/28/07 01:54 PM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
But neither of them look as good with a .50 on top. crazy
#202615 - 09/28/07 02:59 PM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
I wish I had one of the surplus, but I dunno if it'd fit in the garage. eek

I guess I could park it in the backyard, but I wouldn't want to spend the $100 to get to work and back home everyday. It'd be a purely recreational vehicle. smile

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#202616 - 09/28/07 03:35 PM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
If I was to get an H1 thats all it would be used for. plain fun.
#202617 - 09/28/07 04:21 PM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
What I wanna do one day is go to DRMO and pick up a used M998 or one of the heavy variants without the shop on the back and use THAT as a fun truck. With some of these things being modified from the 6.0L to the 7.5L TT I/C, there is no END to the heights I could climb.

BTW: the 6L Hummvee engine is said to make 150 whp, BUT something like 300-400 whl torque.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#202618 - 09/28/07 05:10 PM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
D Bold Offline
Loc: Warwick, RI
haha that guy at autozone must have had a good laugh when he asked for elbow grease. Imagine that..."Hi I was wondering where I can find elbow grease?" "Uhmm hmmm (trying not to laugh) check Aisle Five it should be right next to the blinker fluid."
#202619 - 09/28/07 05:34 PM Re: n00b asks for elbow grease
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
At my first job (working at a book & literature distribution center) I had a job packing orders. One order came through and I packed the box full, with several items to spare that would not fit. My supervisor told me instead of sending another box, to simply find the "box stretcher" tool and expand the box enough to fit the extra items.

Needless to say, I wandered all over the complex asking various people if they had seen the box stretcher!

I got owned for sure, but it was hilarious!!

'97 SE with alot of mods
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2