Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202919 - 06/01/10 01:37 PM Tyler Shipman memorial carshow July 23-25, benefits cancer research.
Burgundy2003GT Offline
Loc: Owatonna, MN
Hi everyone, I was lucky enough to be one of the guys who helped build Tyler's car for him. This carshow is close to my heart, I'm not sure if it's ok to post here, but I hope so. If you have any questions you can post them, or email: black85gt@gmail.com
or: synssins@gmail.com
thanks for looking.

Open to all makes and models, all proceeds will be donated to the MeritCare Foundation, Roger Maris Cancer Center research.

In October 2009, a Pontiac Fiero enthusiast by the name of Tyler Shipman was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of cancer.
He was 18 years old.
Posting on Pennock's Fiero Forum (www.fiero.nl), Tyler asked for some assistance from the community to finish some work on the car.

The Fiero community responded in force. A soldier serving in Iraq saw Tyler's plea, and stepped up to the plate.
3 weeks after Tyler posted on the forum, 25 people from the Fiero community arrived in Tyler's home town of Frazee, MN.
Supported by literally hundreds of people from the Fiero community, the community of Frazee, MN and the surrounding area, these 25 people, along with countless others rebuilt Tyler's car in a marathon 23 hour rebuild.
The entire build was broadcast publicly on the internet with full video, audio and live chat on www.tylerstoy.com. Needless to say, the chat room was hopping at all hours of the day. All of the build videos are still available on that site, along with news stories.
Tyler has since moved on to the Great Twisties in the sky. A genuine car enthusiast, a genuine person, he will be missed.
Help the Pontiac Fiero community and the town of Frazee, MN celebrate the life and memory of Tyler Shipman at the First Annual Tyler Shipman Memorial Car Show, July 23rd, 24th, and 25th in Frazee, MN.
All proceeds will be donated to the MeritCare Foundation, Roger Maris Cancer Center research.
Help us spread the word!

July 23rd
9PM ~ 1AM Frazee Street Dance

July 24th - Times are subject to change
9AM Registration & Parking Opens
11AM Show Starts - All Vehicles Welcome!
3PM Trophy Presentations

July 25th
Frazee Turkey Days Parade (Time TBD)
including show cars

Flyer here:
http://www.chalnet.net/images/Tyler/...ow_2010_v2.pdf
or here:
http://www.chalnet.net/images/Tyler/...ow_2010_v2.jpg
#202920 - 06/01/10 04:37 PM Re: Tyler Shipman memorial carshow July 23-25, benefits cancer research.
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Wow that is really cool story. Frazee, MN? Is that close to the twin cities at all?

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#202921 - 06/01/10 09:32 PM Re: Tyler Shipman memorial carshow July 23-25, benefits cancer research.
Burgundy2003GT Offline
Loc: Owatonna, MN
Frazee is about 3.5 hours northwest of the twin cities on hwy 10.

Here is a little bit more about Tyler:

Tyler Shipman, an 18-year-old High School Senior in Frazee, Minnesota, had been diagnosed with Synovial Sarcoma, a very rare and aggressive form of cancer that primarily affects young adults. He could no longer walk.

Tyler Shipman, posted a wish on an Internet chat forum geared to Fiero fanatics. He told them he'd been slowly rebuilding a 1986 Pontiac Fiero, the second he'd owned. "I sit at the hospital with cancer and they can't treat it," Tyler wrote. "(They don't know) how long I'll be here; they say could be till spring or longer, or shorter ... I'm just trying to find some way to get it restored before I pass."

At 9:30 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 22 his wish came true. After traveling to Frazee and working through the night at Frazee Auto Body, which donated the shop and tools, 20-plus members from Pennock's Fiero Forum unveiled the masterpiece to the crowd gathered in the high school parking lot. As the hearty rev of an engine rolled, a garage door opened and a fog machine puffed out a heavy cloud. A canary yellow Fiero, rebuilt from tip to tail, emerged from the haze; it's speakers rocking out one of Tyler's favorite songs.

His smile was as bright as his car. At first Tyler admired it from afar, allowing the 100-plus people who came to witness the unveiling to have the first up-close glance. His parents, teachers and friends will tell you that's just part of his character, to put himself second. "Tyler is the kind of kid that any parent would be proud of. He's giving, always respectful, kind; just an all-around-good kid."

After the crowd parted, someone asked Tyler if he was going to take it for a spin.Without hesitation, Tyler said yes. His family helped him into the driver seat. His father, Jay, was the first to go for a ride. Tyler shifted into drive and slowly inched forward through the parting crowd. Rolling into the street, Tyler hit the gas as his 10-year-old brother and two sisters, 8 and 21, cheered and his mother, Daneele, wiped tears from her eyes."This is the only car that has ever made me cry," "For the past few weeks the car is all Tyler has talked about," she said.

The makings of a dream began across the globe when Andrew Weigle, a U.S. Sgt. with E Company's 1-150th Assault Helicopter Battalion read Tyler's post. Even though Andrew, a resident of East Berlin, Penn., was serving in the Iraqi War, he knew he had to do something. Cancer had touched his family, so he knew the power of a smile during rough days. At first, the mission was to get Tyler a new bumper. But the generosity of Pennock's Fiero Forum members quickly expanded it into a full-blown rebuild weekend. Chris was in good company, besides the volunteers and community members who stopped by to keep them fed and in good spirits, there was an online following of people who watched the rebuild via webcast, many of whom stayed until the mission was complete. From Iraq, Andrew was able to watch the build and the unveiling via a webcast provided by KARE-11 Twin Cities. The TV station attended the build and through the web-based communications tool, Skype, was able to give Andrew a front row seat for the big moment. Andrew, also arranged for an honor flag, which was flown in an Iraqi combat mission on a Blackhawk helicopter, to be given to Tyler for his honorable battle with cancer.

In Italian, Fiero means very proud, in Spanish, it means fierce; both are perfect words to describe the historic effort that was a tribute to humanity and goodwill towards men. "God bless them for what they've done," Daneele said. "They will never know how much it means to my family." • by Barbie Porter

Tyler Shipman (18), lost his battle with cancer at his home in Frazee and went peacefully to meet his Heavenly Father on February 14, 2010.Tyler was a very active young man who loved life. His favorite hobbies were snowmobiling, fishing, hunting, riding his ATV, and hanging out with his friends. One of his favorite past-times was fishing with his dad and brother Carter. He also worked very hard with his dad building up their business, Shipman's Tree Service. Tyler loved cars, especially Pontiac Fieros, and was fortunate enough to see his pride and joy fixed up to pristine condition in the last months of his life. His life was made better by the friends and family who surrounded him, and we will be forever changed for having Tyler as a part of our lives.
The story of Tyler Shipman moved us all, and now the crew who gave Tyler his last wish are hosting a car show this summer to raise money for the center that took care of him.
See tylerstoy.com
#202922 - 06/01/10 10:05 PM Re: Tyler Shipman memorial carshow July 23-25, benefits cancer research.
00grandprixgt Offline
Loc: Wall Lake Iowa
that is very sad, i send his family my regards.

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
soon to come: projectors,exhaust work, 3.4 setup.