Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203355 - 11/06/06 07:50 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
20gtp02 Offline
Thank god Geoff is in Michigan and I am in Florida. But I convinced my parents (well really my mom) because my dad had two rays back in the day that he always talked about. Well I got him to purchase me an 89 corvette during my senior year of high school. I sold a wrangler (toooo slow) to get this vette. One night I picked up a friend in the vette and drove to a baseball game. I was making a left on a two lane divided road US 1 and it was at night and a long straight away for a few miles. I turned the corner and stomped on it. I passed one car and let off about 110 (in a 45). I did not check for cops nor did I see any. About three miles down the road I was doing about 60 and behind a car I just about swerved and took off again but I looked in the mirror and on my ass was a cop with lights on. I was like @$%#. First thing he says is "I can take you to jail for going that fast!" However, he never told me my speed and I believe he never even radared me he just saw me flying and caught up to me. I would of left him if he wasn't inches from my ass. He gave me a ticket for "Not obeying the traffic control device. $78.00." I got off nicely. My parents found out but never knew how fast I actually was going.

#203356 - 11/06/06 08:23 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
Geoff Offline
Loc: michigan
thats a nice vette!
#203357 - 11/06/06 08:30 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
Geoff Offline
lol i need to clarify a bit, i think you guys got the wrong idea. i have gotten about 10 tickets in the 40 some pull overs. ive just been very lucky and had the cop not show up to court or a connection to get out of it. i had 3 points for a careless but they went off after 2 years just a few months ago, but other than that i've never recieved any other points.

and i just wanna say i dont care what anyone says, if you get a ticket for anything take it to court! you have nothing to loose and people would be suprised how often cops dont show up to court. and if your just nice to them in court they will wipe the points or lower the ticket.
#203358 - 11/06/06 09:04 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Some states are going with if the cop wrote the ticket the cop doesn't have to show. Basically the ticket is all the witness needed.

A couple of years ago a buddy of mine was pulled over for doing triple digits in a 65. The LEO wrote a court date on the ticket for about a month later.

Buddy went to court and sat through about ten hearings for similar acts and all had the book thrown at them. At the end of the day the judge asked if anyone there was to appear and hadn't yet. My buddy was the only one whe wasn't seen yet and just at that time the ADA through the case out because the LEO failed to file the ticket until the morning of the hearing. So he got off scott free.
#203359 - 11/06/06 10:03 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
I'm not sure if its state wide in michigan, but quite often all hearings for traffic violations are held on one day for that cop. That way he doesnt have to make several trips a week. The days of the cop not showing up are becoming fewer. They may let you off with just paying more so you dont get the points, but tickets are just a source of revenue for the state and cities. They really dont care about points. If you're willing to pay more, they're happy to charge more.

oh, saginaw...you're a complete idiot "cops arent anybody, they have a 2 year degree and get crap pay and a lousy life" Cops do more than just pull people over, and they're not employed to soley harass idiot drivers like yourself. Their job isnt the most glamorous but their job is an important one. Cops may not have to get a masters degree in order to get a badge, but they know the law and they have to put up with people like you on a daily basis, and for that alone they diserve much more than what they're paid.
#203360 - 11/06/06 10:24 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
20gtp02 Offline
True, my best buddy is a cop, and when I rode along with him a few times, I could not believe how rediculous people drive and the stupid things they do when you actually look for it. You don't even have to look, they do it right in front of you.

#203361 - 11/06/06 10:33 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I still had my temp tags on and I was doing 85 in a 45 and cop was sitting in the middle of the parkway which at night there no light except lights you see with other cars passing you. So couple miles away I see a reflective thing beaming off my headlights and it sure was the cops and I slam on my brakes but it was to late but and I was pulled over. He only gave me a ticket for speeding 19mph over the limit and he gave my a break because 20mph over any speed limit is reckless driving. So the next day I told my friends and they said the cop gave me a break because I have a sticker on my car that says fraternal police member.(lol)
#203362 - 11/06/06 10:35 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
20gtp02 Offline
Fraternal Police member???

#203363 - 11/07/06 10:38 AM Re: Speeding Tickets
Geoff Offline
if they dont show up in court, you dont get the ticket. although they have i think it's 10 days to come back on you but they never do. i was paranoid about that happening one time before but it rarely happens.

as far as cops go, i know all kinds of cops. there's a way to do things and a way not too. if there an honest good cop then i have no problem. cops tend to think there above the law and forget that good people make mistakes and shouldnt be treated like criminals.
#203364 - 11/07/06 03:08 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
brown Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
cops tend to think there above the law and forget that good people make mistakes and shouldnt be treated like criminals.
you do realize cops are normal people everyday people right? The ones with the attitude of being better than people, are probably just fed up with dumb people.
#203365 - 11/07/06 06:06 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
Geoff Offline
yeah brown i agree with what you said 100% but they need to decide if your one of "the dumb people" before they treat you like one.
#203366 - 11/08/06 09:25 AM Re: Speeding Tickets
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
You guys need to come to NY and get a speeding ticket. There are only two days you can go to court for a speeding ticket. Wed and thurs, if you get a ticket then 5 month later you ahvet o show up. and you bet your ass that the cop is going to be there b/c they come together and for the highway 2 cops in NY if they don't show up in court there days pay gets taken away. and they get yeild at by there CO. And these NY cops think there above the law and in most cases they are. B/c even if they mess up on the ticket and put something down wrong like you plate # car type as long as they say yes that was the guy buy looking at your face the judge will give you a fine and points. My firned got caught doing a 85 in a 50 the judge gave him a $700 fine and 8 points on his linece. they have no mercy...

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#203367 - 11/08/06 11:39 AM Re: Speeding Tickets
Geoff Offline
thats insane, im pretty sure the cops lose their pay here too if they dont show up for court.
#203368 - 11/08/06 02:33 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
Baas140 Offline
Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
hey 1997grandprixgtpsaginawmi
im goin to school to be a cop, and your stereotype of cops is nothing but shit... most cops today have a 4 year degree from a university, which is what im getting... the police are out there to protect and serve, not drive around looking to dick with people... obviously there are the power hungry dickheads who have nothing better to do, but thats a select few... think about this world without police to enforce laws... itd be an absolute shithole... its to bad that police, who are trying to protect the community, get negative crap thrown at them from people like you...
#203369 - 11/08/06 03:48 PM Re: Speeding Tickets
brown Offline
ok...enought backlash for what 1997saginaw says. We can all just ignore it from now on. Anyone else have any speeding ticket stories?