Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205116 - 12/21/07 08:13 AM Q for photography buffs
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I've been wanting a digital SLR for quite some time now. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Olympus E-500 for about $340. The only thing that appears to be wrong with it is the owner lost the battery charger. That's no big deal, I can get a batt & charger for about $50.
Does anyone have any input or personal knowledge with this camera?

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#205117 - 12/21/07 09:13 AM Re: Q for photography buffs
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
No personal experience, but Olympus is usually pretty good, plus I think instead of adopting the other manufaturer's SLR systems, they developed their own. Later used by other camera manufacturers. laugh

That price is really ridiculously low for a 700-900 dollar camera. I don't know how much cameras depreciate, but I'd definitly make sure the battery pack isn't the only problem.

I'm jealous, I need a new camera. frown
#205118 - 12/21/07 11:29 AM Re: Q for photography buffs
Rebecca Offline
Loc: southwest Michigan
I agree, check to make sure there is nothing else wrong with the camera. Perhaps bring it to your local photography store and have them check it out. Even if you have to pay for that service, it can't be more than a few dozen dollars, but it would save you $340 in the long run if they find something seriously wrong with the camera.

If the missing battery charger is really the only problem, and you can get another one (from eBay or whatever) for a reasonable price, then it might be nice to go for it. Olympus is a good brand.

Another one to consider is the Canon SD Powershot ELPH series. I bought the SD1000 model this past year and IIRC it was around $250. Compact, easy to operate, and takes great pictures.

Depends on what exactly you want in a digital still camera.
#205119 - 12/21/07 12:31 PM Re: Q for photography buffs
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
Bobby,

Here's a review of the Olympus E-500 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/

Be aware that the Olympus uses a 4/3 sensor and a 2.0 crop factor. Nikon uses a 1.5 and Canon uses a 1.6 crop factor for 35mm equilavent lenses. i.e. if the Olympus lens is 50mm, on the E-500 it would be a 100mm lens.

The viewfinder is rather small for a dSLR also.

Finding batteries and chargers won't be that big of a deal for you. SterlingTek I think this is the charger you'll need for the Olympus. I've bought several batteries and chargers from them before ... a good company and quick shipping, plus a year warranty on the products!

Another thing you might want to consider, is the price of lenses before you make the swap to a dSLR and especially the 2.0 crop factor of the Olympus system.

Hope this helps. thumbsup

Don
#205120 - 12/21/07 03:56 PM Re: Q for photography buffs
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
I own an Olympus...here's a pic of it

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/specification/1341/show.html

I mean it's not fancy schmancy, but it is a great camera for a college kid that goes to parties and stuff like that. Small, Compact, Good Quality. It's what I use to post pics on here. My g-ma is a photographer and she loves the Canon!

#205121 - 12/21/07 05:51 PM Re: Q for photography buffs
AustinGTP Offline
I'm looking more at the digital SLR's. Trying to upgrade from the point-n-shoot type camera's.

Don, it looks like you're fairly knowledgeable with dSLR's, what would be your recommendation? I'm trying to stay in the $300 range so I figure for a dSLR I'll need to stay with used, which I don't mind at all.
I've got a 35mm Canon EOS, but unfortunately I got that camera at the tail end of the film camera's life span. Shortly after that I started buying digital point-n-shoots. It's a nice camera that's not worth near what I paid for it.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#205122 - 12/21/07 08:33 PM Re: Q for photography buffs
northtnguy Offline
Ah, that helps knowing that you've got the Canon. What kind of lenses do you have for the 35mm? The lens/lenses you have should work OK with a digital Rebel.

I checked the prices of the Digital Rebel XT 8mp via amazon and you can get get the body for around $400 or with an 18-55mm (28.8-88mm digital) lens for $460 which is a pretty good price.

The next step up would be the XTi 10mp for $520/body or $600/kit lens.

I also checked the prices of used equipment at KEH and found out you probably wouldn't save but about $50 going used.

I've done alot of research in the past year since I've been considering moving up to a dSLR from the Sony prosumer line of cameras. After Canon made the specs available in September, I took the plunge and got the Canon 40D as soon as they became available with the kit lens and also bought the 17-50 2.8 Tamron lens, a battery grip (something you might consider getting since the XT is a smaller camera) and a 580EX II flash.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number and we'll talk more about this.

Hope this helps.
Don
#205123 - 12/21/07 11:16 PM Re: Q for photography buffs
AustinGTP Offline
The current lenses I have are the Canon Ultrasonic 22-55mm and Canon Zoom Lens EF 80-200mm.
I think I would rather stay with the Canon line, especially if my current lenses will work with the dSLR body.
I'm going to do some more looking around. I've got your number and I'll try to give you a call sometime next week. I'm going to Abilene tomorrow for Christmas with the wifes mom and that side of the family. We'll be heading back on Sunday then her dad is due in town and he'll be spending Christmas Eve with us.
I'll be checking in here when I can, I'm just not going to have the time to be able to sit down and carry on any lengthy conversations over the phone within the next few days. If I find something before then that I can't pass up, I'll be sure to call you first and see what your opinion is.

thumbsup

#205124 - 12/22/07 12:55 AM Re: Q for photography buffs
northtnguy Offline
I don't think you'll have any problems with those lenses working with an XT or XTi. That would give you pretty good coverage from around 35mm-320mm.

I'll be on vacation after Christmas until around the 10th of January, so just give me a call whenever you get the chance.

Have a safe trip and a Merry Christmas! cheers

Don
#205125 - 12/22/07 05:49 AM Re: Q for photography buffs
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
my wife had a canon eos rebel 35mm which is exactly why went with the digi rebel as well so all her lenses were still useful. I've been stunned lately at how much the price of the xti has come down under what I paid for hers. (ouch!)

you might want to check out B&H photo video pro...the have a monster store in Manhattan and they are THE place for anything photography...they ship free countrywide and have an outstanding selection...they also take trade ins and my well have some used digis that might fit your price range. Always have had great service from them...Merry Christmas!

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#205126 - 12/22/07 11:40 AM Re: Q for photography buffs
northtnguy Offline
Tim ... it's about time you jumped in here!

Bobby, if you can wait a few more weeks, I think you'd be able to get the XTi for even less. The life cycle for Canon announcing new products is every 18 months. The XT was announded Feb. 2005, the XTi announced Aug. 2006, so, the next one in this lineup would/should be Feb. 2008. This doesn't mean that the other cameras in the lineup are inferior, it just means that there's more features in the next addition and LOWER prices on the existing models.

Here's something else to think about when considering between the XT and XTi. The XT has a 1.8" LCD. The XTi has a 2.5" LCD. There's more differences than those, but I used that as an example. Also, and this is personal preference, the XT feels more .... plastic and more like a toy compared to the XTi. I'd suggest going to Circuit City or Best Buy and just playing around with it to see if it feels good in your hands.

Tim made a good suggestion about B&H. I've heard nothing but good reports on B&H. I think Adorama has used cameras also. Sometimes you can get good deals through Dell with their stackable coupons on cameras (but they're as slow as a 90 year old woman in rush hour traffic to deliver when they say they will). laugh

So, there's a few options for you when you get ready to buy ... KEH, B&H, Adorama, Dell.

I'll keep my eyes open if something pops up that I think you might be interested in.

Don
#205127 - 12/23/07 07:11 PM Re: Q for photography buffs
AustinGTP Offline
I just bought this...
http://www.expecam.com/products.asp?product_id=13478

Canon XTi body for $299.
I hope I did good and I hope I'll be able to use my current lenses with it, if not I'll be lens hunting soon.

#205128 - 12/24/07 01:14 AM Re: Q for photography buffs
northtnguy Offline
Bobby, let's hope for the best, but I dunno about this company. They have a 0.0 rating from reseller ratings for the past six months. cheers

Don
#205129 - 12/24/07 01:28 AM Re: Q for photography buffs
AustinGTP Offline
Well crap. I'm calling them first thing in the morning to see what's up.

#205130 - 12/24/07 02:24 AM Re: Q for photography buffs
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I'm afraid I might have to go with Don on this one Bobby...that camera is actually a step up model from my wifes and if it includes everything like he says it would be a steal...I just bought a spare battery for my wifes rebel and it was $69...I hope for your sake Don is wrong (and I know he does too) but I wouldnt be surprised if he is right...keep your guard up and I hope it comes thru for you.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >