Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206787 - 06/19/05 09:48 AM Bad Ride
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
It seems like everytime I get out on the trails with the dirt bike, something goes wrong. Last time I sunk forging a pond and had to drain absoultely everything. What a mess, it didn't run for two weeks.

This time, we unload the bikes off the trailer and get into the woods to get ready for the ride. My buddy keeps kicking his CR250, but it's just not starting. Finally he gets it going, but somehow in our travels, his throttle cable got pinched and he's stuck at WOT. We can't get it undone, so he attempts to ride it out and maybe it will take care of itself. We were on a long straight away so he just lets it go and he goes shooting off. Then, it stops. He blew his top end.

We got back to his house and tore it apart, took the whole engine out, and inspected everything. The piston and cylinder wall were perfect. So we removed the cylinder and got to the crank. He had gotten water in his bottom end from that stupid pond that I ditched my bike in. The water in his crank case had gotten into his bearings and ceased the crank. Instead of $200 top end, he's now looking at rebuilding the bottom end, something that we've never done before. This should be a good project....
#206788 - 06/19/05 09:58 AM Re: Bad Ride
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
OOOOOO a new bottom end that's a PITA.
#206789 - 06/20/05 12:46 AM Re: Bad Ride
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
put an L67 in her azz! lol

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#206790 - 06/20/05 01:24 AM Re: Bad Ride
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
oo that sucks... good luck with that though

bill
#206791 - 06/20/05 06:58 AM Re: Bad Ride
GtCombination Offline
Loc: New York
Well stuff like that will always come up at the most un-expected times devilgrin Any questions feel freeeeeeeeeeeeee.

K.c.

" A true REAL mod takes longer than 1 hour to install"
" Dont like it then smile like a donut "
#206792 - 06/20/05 10:54 AM Re: Bad Ride
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Kinda ruined the ride and the wallet...
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#206793 - 06/20/05 02:03 PM Re: Bad Ride
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
We were gonna tear down both of our engines this winter anyway. It just sucks that the bike will be out of commission for a little while.

K.C., thanks for the info. I think the only factory part we will using is the piston. Other than that it will be all aftermarket. What do you recommend for crankcase oil?

Sorry, but we're not that crazy about the RM's. I don't think I'd ever buy one. If it means anything to you, the group I ride with all have Gixxers. I'm the only one with a Honda. The guy who blew his dirt bike has an '04 Gixxer 1k.