Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211651 - 06/09/05 07:55 AM Re: GXP Review
rayainsw Offline
Loc: atlanta
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR:
Anyone with another GXP (or any technical background):

I have the remote and auto dual zone. The manual states that after remote starting the system will cool or heat depending upon what I set last. I had an aftermarket and this basically turned on all accessory power so if I left the AC in max it would come on.

Now, when I remote start, no accessory power comes on, but the fans do blow but not very cold air. The radio and dual climate temps do not come on. Does anyone else have this problem or is it designed not to fully use the AC? I haven't tried setting the controls to auto, but have left them in manual.

Also, I get static from the monsoon speakers when the radio is off or muted and also when I open the doors to get in the car (after ~10 secs, it stops). A sound person said the amps aren't turning off and picking up interference. Anyone else have this? It's really faint so the only time I hear it if it's quiet outside.

Thanks
I have an appointment to drive (and possibly buy) a GXP this afternoon.

I will try to check on both these issues - and will let you know anything I learn.

- Ray
Heard of both these 'issues' before. . .
#211652 - 06/09/05 06:54 PM Re: GXP Review
rayainsw Offline
I bought a GXP this PM.

More later, but for now:

After driving it for a quick eval. / shake-down in the west NC mountains, buying it, and driving back home - I am very, very pleased with the car and with my decision to travel (125 miles each way) to another state to buy it – as the buying experience was simple, honest and straightforward in every respect.

Black. XM. Premium Audio. Leather / Suede (Heated) Front Seats. Dual Zone A/C. Sunroof.

MSRP: $33,000.

Torque.

Exhaust.

Yum!

More impressions, etc. when I have more time . .

- Ray
GXP owner (finally!)
#211653 - 06/09/05 07:00 PM Re: GXP Review
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Congrats!
They are sweet.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#211654 - 06/10/05 07:19 AM Re: GXP Review
rayainsw Offline
Link to 1 pic - taken a few miles from the Dealer - in the mountains of west NC - before it rained . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rayainsw/P1070229test17x.jpg
#211655 - 06/13/05 02:53 PM Re: GXP Review
rayainsw Offline
Impressions, as promised:

Again (skip if you don’t care about background) I have been driving RWD or AWD cars the past 5 years or so. MSRP on my last 3 has been approx. $38 – 42K. I have enjoyed each of them. I will refer to at least 2 other cars here, 1 – The 2003 Lincoln LS V8 Sport that I traded in, and 2 – The 2006 M45 Sport that I test drove 3 times, and did not buy. (Details below, in case anyone cares.)

Given that the GXP is FWD. And given that the MSRP is $33K with everything available except NAV and side airbags. And given an actual transaction price of something just below $27K (my paperwork is in the car) this qualifies as a ‘screaming bargain’, in my book. OK, a ‘deep, throbbing, rumbling, V8 rapping exhaust’ bargain???

The FWD advantages are well publicized. The downsides, particularly for a high power / high torque application (torque steer, front weight bias) have been addressed so well in the GXP that I do not see them as significant.

My experience and observations (in somewhat random order) so far:

Upon arrival at the dealership in NC (previously only in touch via email and telephone) I was able to take a quick evaluation / shake-down run. Alone. I could have driven longer, but having driven 3 previously, I really just wanted to make certain that there were no issues with this particular example. I did quickly find a tightly twisting side road just off US 441 / 23 (in Dillsboro, NC) to check the steering response and handling (at 6 tenths or so – unfamiliar road, no runoff areas or shoulders) under those conditions. Very nice. Fun.

Then I drove home. Trip is about 125 miles, generally south and then southeast, starting with typical NC / North GA mountain (tall hill?) area road conditions. A lot of up then down grades – as much as (posted) 7%. Not great for gas mileage. Some road construction. Some small towns with lowered speed limits. Generally well maintained roads. Then a 50+ mile run down I985 to I85 back toward the north side of Atlanta. Ran at 65 to 75 most of this leg. A couple of blasts over 80. Just because I wanted to . . . Traffic was building as I approached the I985 / I85 split, so I took Satellite Blvd for several miles – see below.

Then I drove my typical commute into Mid-Town and (and back) . . Fuel mileage: Based on a VERY limited sample (1 tank, details on the mileage thread), I expect that the 27 MPG highway estimate could be achieved in an “open road, light traffic, steady 70+ mph” scenario. And that is what I was hoping for. For such a performance level, for a car with a (relatively speaking) big honkin’ V8, for a car that I drive to enjoy, I am quite satisfied – and will continue to be even more satisfied, if I can achieve 26 or 27 mpg on long, primarily highway trips!

The ride is excellent under almost all conditions. Overall I rate it (surprisingly) actually slightly better than my Lincoln LS. It is clearly better when traversing a set of RR tracks I drive over several times each week. It is as good an my LS in a few other areas, and not quite as good in only a couple. (Fortunately, the ride in not any worse in any circumstances I encounter regularly! Worn concrete surfaces, like long, slightly bowed upward, bridge deck sections, with ridged expansion joints between the slabs, for example, it handles just a bit worse. It starts to set up a slight harmonic that I’d likely find quite annoying if I experienced it very often. And the tires do transmit some ‘thump’ over any short, sharp bump, like on broken pavement. Often, this is as much perceived as noise, rather than much wheel / tire motion pass through. And any such abrupt motion is quickly smothered by the Bilsteins.)

Now, I am not suggesting that there is no impression that you are turning fairly hefty sized front tires (255 / 45 x 18) supporting a large percentage of the total vehicle weight. Just that it is an awareness without any real attendant downside. . . The GXP goes where I intend, it deals with application of power while turning with surprising grace. It always feel tied down and very well damped.

Coming back from NC, I drove it down a stretch of Satellite north of Pleasant Hill Rd. in Gwinnett County (North of Atlanta, GA) to further evaluate the handling and ride. This is not a challenging stretch because of broken pavement or because you can explore the outer limits of the handling envelope. You can’t, and I would not on public roads, anyway. And there are rather high curbs and no shoulders for the entire length I drive. The challenge here is more because at even the speed limit and a bit above (45 – 50 mph) the almost continual varying radius turns combined with rolling elevation changes and many areas where the pavement has settled, developing sharp dips and longer amplitude drops and rises stresses up / down and side to side damping. This combination really tests the total suspension tuning of any car I have driven here. The GXP again felt extraordinarily well damped and controlled without significant harshness. Kudos.

The seats are quite comfortable. Lumbar support adjustability is excellent – the ability to move the support up and down as well is appreciated. And the seat bottom front raises / rear lowers = excellent support when I want it for my thighs. I expect that the wide range of seat adjustability will be useful on long drives, minimizing fatigue.

Aside: 1/2 of lumbar adjustment (up / down, I expect) goes away for 2006 – 4 way becomes 2 way . .

The instruments and displays are clear and arranged logically. The controls are arranged sensibly and work well – mostly intuitive. I do not find the trim quality offensive. It is not an Audi interior (another thread) but it appears well screwed (welded, snapped, glued) together and nothing strikes me as misaligned or mis-fitted. Overall build quality is acceptable to me. I have noticed no body / chassis flex and no squeaks or rattles - so far.

The engine lights almost immediately. I happen to find the mechanical sound of the starter grinding as the motor turns over somewhat irritating . .

The TAPShift manumatic function works very well, resulting in excellent (quick but well damped) up and downshifts when requested. This is a key point for me, and I am quite pleased. Amazingly, I would place shift response and execution above the 5 speed manumatic in my LS. Downshifts would be a bit better if the GXP has the really trick ‘rev match on downshift’ that the M45 does have. Oh, well. They are still well done.

I enjoy the big torque low down style of power delivery. A very personal preference, clearly. And I also prefer the low RPM at cruise. 2,000 rpm is over 70 mph. Just a bias - one of mine that is not entirely logical. At steady cruise, the exhaust fades into the general background noise, and is covered by the stereo even at low volume.

The brakes are powerful and linear in response. Confidence inspiring.

Outward visibility is excellent. The inside and outside mirrors are placed and sized nicely to allow me to deal with Hot-Lanta area (NUTS!) traffic.

Oh, did I mention that I enjoy the acceleration? The ‘lunge’ in first or second gear is entertaining. And the exhaust tone / volume is just right. For me. (Such a childish pleasure, for one so old – sigh.) It certainly does feel quicker than my LS. And the smooth, strong, immediate power delivery leaves me with a feeling of effortlessness. And it feels like the quickness is right up there with the M45, once rolling, though the GXP is likely more of a challenge to launch - if absolute, maximum timed acceleration is required. I will be interested to read additional instrumented tests, when published. . .

And I am enjoying XM. This is my first experience with Satellite Radio. I will be buying a subscription, for several reasons.

Bottom Line. For me, at this point in time (with GMS pricing) this GXP is the ideal compromise for what I need – and what I want. There is no significant flaw – for me. And the value proposition is valid, again - for me.

I was thinking while stuck in traffic on Friday evening that one thing I really appreciate (as a [very] long time computer programmer, systems analyst, and IT manager) is the complete systems approach taken in the GXP. They did not just increase the HP and TQ. They devised an exhaust system that convincingly mimics a true dual system sound, and featuring low restriction. They also developed a thoroughly improved braking system, and completely revised suspension that works very well with the much larger wheel / tire package. They cleaned up the front & rear fascias. Etc. Etc. A systems approach. Works for me. (Obviously.)

Yes, I expect that the depreciation on the GXP will be steep. It was on my ’97. It was on every car I have bought recently. That’s just the way it is. And assuming I pile on miles as I have recently, I will be out of the original GM warrantee in around 2 years. Trade or buy MasterGuard extended warrantee coverage??? A decision for another day . .

Just my opinions . .
- Ray
Truly sad to see that GM has such problems, when SOME of their products are exceptional!!!

= = =

My 2003 Lincoln LS V8 Sport. I drove this car just over 25,000 miles in 17 months. It is documented at roughly high 14s at 96 mph in the quarter. RWD. 3.9L V8, HP / TQ = 280 / 286. Weight approx. 3800. Shod with 235 / 50 x 17 Michelins (not very sporty – I would likely have replaced them with Pilot Sport A/S, had I kept the car much longer . .)

The 2006 M45 Sport is quite a car. If I decided to buy a car in this price class, this is what I’d buy. It ** IS ** , however, in the $50K (or more) price range. With possible discounts to $1,000 / $1,500 over Invoice, if one is willing to travel. Point is: Much, much more expensive than a GXP. I in no way mean to say or imply that this car is a direct competitor to the GXP. At very low 14s to very high 13s, it appears a bit quicker than the GXP. I decided on the GXP largely due to the fact that (for me) the GXP delivers 90% or even 95+% of the enjoyment of a $50K car, for something like 60% of the cash . . . And I can always find other things (including more $$s to my 401(k) ) to do with the difference!
#211656 - 06/30/05 02:17 PM Re: GXP Review
rayainsw Offline
"dual climate temps do not come on. Does anyone else have this problem or is it designed not to fully use the AC? I haven't tried setting the controls to auto, but have left them in manual."

From GM:

P/N: 12603159
CVN: 0000993D
Description: New software to address A/C performance during remote start.

- Ray
Hoping to have this addressed at first service . .
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  AustinGTP, Marc Harbison, Redshift