Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211684 - 03/04/09 09:10 AM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Richard Candelario Offline
Doubt it. They have technique. It would be cool if they came into it KNOWING that it was a shoot-house training event.

When I was stationed at FT Campbell, KY, I was on the brand new loop just south of Hop-town, pulled to the light. A cop pulled uip next to me, revved, smiled and waved forward as in "after you, kind sir". I took him off the line, but after about 1/8th mile (most likely sooner) he had me all the way to the next light, a mile off. That's the first time that happened, and as of yesterday, only time that had happened.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#211685 - 03/05/09 01:43 AM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
Doubt it. They have technique. It would be cool if they came into it KNOWING that it was a shoot-house training event.
Um...of course. I don't want to get shot because they thought it was real. lol But I still say that back when we knew the school's layout really well, if we had planned out some sort of a game plan, we would have stood an even chance.
#211686 - 03/08/09 12:15 PM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
jlindahl2571 Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
Palsut, I don't think you've ever been in the backseat of a police car, so let me tell you, it's cramped. A Crown Vic isn't very spacious. I'm 6'2", and I had to sit sideways.

However, here is a side-by-side comparison between the Crown Vic & G8 for interior room. Also, I included the Dodge Charger, which I have heard cops say is way too cramped.

MSN Comparison

*EDIT* Plus, the Crown Vic is grossly underpowered, both as a V8 and as an "interceptor." It makes less power than a stock GTP.
Actually there is a ton of room in the front and backseats of the new Chargers. I've been in a couple as a police intern and I actually had a ton of space in the backseat. And I'm 6'1".
#211687 - 03/08/09 03:39 PM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Acefighter Offline
Really? Interesting. The Crown Vic I rode in had several inches in the back removed cuz of how the plastic seat and the separator was designed. Maybe the Charger was different. But I'm 6'2" and I could not sit with my legs forwards in the Crown Vic. Not even close.
#211688 - 03/10/09 09:34 PM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
jlindahl2571 Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
Well it the Charger's that I was in the back of were the unmarked/undercover ones so I'd assume the police versions would have a little less room, but I still there there would be enough room to sit straight.
#211689 - 03/11/09 01:41 AM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Acefighter Offline
Did they have the panel separating the backseat from the fronts? If they did, then I doubt the police model would be any worse.
#211690 - 03/13/09 08:09 PM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
How about this cop car in Ft Worth Texas.

1998 B4C Z28, auto trans, 3900 pounds
400 rear wheel HP (Dyno verified before NOS)
12.6 at 108 before NOS
Roll cage
Remington 870 Shotgun

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0507htp_1998_z28_camaro_police_feature/index.html
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#211691 - 03/14/09 03:07 AM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Acefighter Offline
Oh...my...god! That is awesome. That is EXACTLY what I want to do. Except I want to do it in a G8. lol Get a car, modify it, and make it a cop car. lol

I'm not sure which mod I like more, the nitrous or the Remington. lol lol lol

Man, I am SO jealous right now...
#211692 - 04/21/09 07:54 PM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Doug in CT Offline
Loc: CT, USA
Gee...the only time I was in the back of a cop car, I wasn't thinking too much about my personal comfort. Anyway, fast-forward 15 years, and I have a few cop friends that would probably be willing to do a short race with their Crown Vics. Unfortunately, I only have a GT, but if anyone wants to let me borrow their GTP or G8, I'm sure I could arrange something. wink
Sadly, my Uncle's squad car is directly across the street almost every night, but he's very "by-the-book". frown
#211693 - 04/22/09 03:29 AM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Acefighter Offline
I wish I knew a cop personally. Even if he wasn't willing to do a short street race, which I would understand completely, I'm sure I could convince him to go to the drag strip sometime...lol
#211694 - 04/23/09 07:02 PM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by 72chevman:
How about this cop car in Ft Worth Texas.

1998 B4C Z28, auto trans, 3900 pounds
400 rear wheel HP (Dyno verified before NOS)
12.6 at 108 before NOS
Roll cage
Remington 870 Shotgun

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0507htp_1998_z28_camaro_police_feature/index.html
Is that car really in service as a cop car? If so I think police are kind of abusing their money on these kinds of things.

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#211695 - 04/24/09 02:27 AM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Acefighter Offline
Did you read the article? The department didn't spend the money on it. He bought the car himself, and got sponsors to pay for the rest. Hence, the decals in front of the driver's door.
#211696 - 04/26/09 01:00 AM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Doug in CT Offline
Loc: CT, USA
Quote:
Is that car really in service as a cop car? If so I think police are kind of abusing their money on these kinds of things.
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but around here some police departments have nice show cars for the DARE program. Usually they just bring them to community events, but sometimes they drag them. The cars they use are usually acquired through drug related seizures and then modded by local tech schools. No tax payer money involved.
Of course, I've never understood how showing kids nice cars drug dealers had will keep the kids from becoming drug dealers too.
#211697 - 04/26/09 09:48 AM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
Yeah, my local area have "DARE" police cool looking cars. My local area have 1985 Camaro, mustang, old corvette, and more of them I couldn't think. It is kind stupid to ruin nice cars with "dare" decal on it.
#211698 - 04/26/09 06:10 PM Re: Pontiac G8 Cop Car?
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug in CT:
Quote:
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but around here some police departments have nice show cars for the DARE program. Usually they just bring them to community events, but sometimes they drag them. The cars they use are usually acquired through drug related seizures and then modded by local tech schools. No tax payer money involved.
Of course, I've never understood how showing kids nice cars drug dealers had will keep the kids from becoming drug dealers too.
I've never understood that either. They might get the message that Hey, if I'm a drug dealer, I'll get one of those cars too! Then again, they might think that then it'll get taken away by the cops. lol

Some departments have a "beat the heat" program where they have a department dragster, and take it to the local drag strip sometimes. It's supposed to encourage people to race on the track, not the street. Pretty cool idea, IMO.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  AustinGTP, Chew, HercMan(Rob), Redshift