Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#21170 - 12/18/04 02:11 PM just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
He lifted it up on the jack and gave me some answers I wasn't too fond of. I'm not exactly a mechanic so I didn't argue with him, but can you guys tell me whos right?

I bought a R/T downpipe with a 3" outlet, and a Flowmaster Y-Series collecter (3" into two 2.5"). I also have 2 Super 40's and the SLP tips.

Anyway. So he tells me he can put on the downpipe. Eliminate the resonator. He mentioned something about making me tail-pipes, but never really explained what the hell that is (isn't that just the tips?). He told me since the fuel lines are running down the left side of the car, he couldn't use the Y-Splitter and said I had to stay with the stock pipes inbetween the resonator and mufflers.

Whats the deal? I think hes full of it.

As always, thanks guys.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#21171 - 12/18/04 02:28 PM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
The tail pipes are the pipes from the split,In otherwords first you have your DP which is connected to the intermediate pipe then the y pipe or split then your tailpipes then muffs& tips ,he is right the fuel lines is why they routed the pipes to one side but he should be able to use the y pipe you bought and run on both sides just need a couple of inches clearance from fuel lines.
#21172 - 12/18/04 03:42 PM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
ya chico is right there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use the y-splitter.

Also, does anyone know if the 40 series with tips sound loud enough that you can tell there is a mod
?
#21173 - 12/18/04 05:20 PM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
bryanp Offline
HotGTP, from what I understand the answer seems to be a resounding yes.

#21174 - 12/18/04 05:43 PM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
40 series are loud, period.

...and go easy on the F-bombs. What do you think this is, ClubGP? laugh

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#21175 - 12/18/04 08:39 PM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
TexasGP Offline
Loc: Georgetown, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:

...and go easy on the F-bombs. What do you think this is, ClubGP? laugh
lol lol lol
#21176 - 12/19/04 12:18 AM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
bryanp Offline
No need to swear, you're correct.

#21177 - 12/20/04 01:02 AM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
get you a pair of illegal 30 series, then you'll have a nice sound. atleast i think they are illegal in nc
dhp 1.0
#21178 - 12/20/04 02:22 AM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Quote:
Originally posted by bryanp:
No need to swear, you're correct.
Who is swearing im drinking right now cheers i didnt see anything bad

As for wanting to be loud sell your 40's on ebay. Then do straights from the Y back. I did on my 98 sounded great just a lotta interior resonance. But not to loud on the outstide. As for the RT downpipe isnt that a bolt on for the muff guy.?????? \BRAKE LINE!!!! those are at least 18" away! Take it somewhere else,,,,there is a bottle of crown calling my name...............(is that ok)
#21179 - 12/20/04 07:39 AM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
Quote:
[b] No need to swear, you're correct.

As for wanting to be loud sell your 40's on ebay. Then do straights from the Y back. I did on my 98 sounded great just a lotta interior resonance. But not to loud on the outstide. As for the RT downpipe isnt that a bolt on for the muff guy.?????? \BRAKE LINE!!!! those are at least 18" away! Take it somewhere else,,,,there is a bottle of crown calling my name...............(is that ok) [/b]
Not the brake lines the fuel lines you gotto worry about ,Have another drink wink
#21180 - 12/20/04 10:16 AM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Sippin at 2:30am im impressed, thats like something I would do hehe. I had an interesting drink this weekend have you ever tried coconut Malibu with some OJ? Great drink though the B-52 is my fav (grand mariner, kahlua, baileys triple layered) was in Canada at a booby bar (can I say tit on here?) and been hooked ever since. cheers notontopic notontopic
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#21181 - 12/20/04 03:12 PM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
bryanp Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
Quote:
[b] No need to swear, you're correct.

As for wanting to be loud sell your 40's on ebay. Then do straights from the Y back. I did on my 98 sounded great just a lotta interior resonance. But not to loud on the outstide. As for the RT downpipe isnt that a bolt on for the muff guy.?????? \BRAKE LINE!!!! those are at least 18" away! Take it somewhere else,,,,there is a bottle of crown calling my name...............(is that ok) [/b]
Hahaha. That cracked me up.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm goin' for legal.

Actually though, I found a local mechanic that will do the job right. Basically a nearby Valvoline's entire roster told me to go to this guy. He runs a gas station mechanic shop. Seems like a real nice guy too.

He said he's never done an exhaust on my car before. Is there anything he needs to know before hand? How should the split be done? And should I leave the resonator in or take that son-bitch out?

cheers I almost have exhaust. Mwahaha. So close...

#21182 - 12/20/04 05:47 PM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Well if he is a good exhaust man its nothign difficult. And for the legal comment. Mine was perfectly legal. Still had cats and Resonator. Wasnt loud enough to be illegal.

Which downpipe did you get? With or without the cat.....
#21183 - 12/20/04 05:57 PM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
hey bryanp, you did say valvoline, not vaseline,, right.. J/K.
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#21184 - 12/20/04 06:13 PM Re: just took my car to a local exhaust shop, and well, help me out
bryanp Offline
zachd, I thought you meant straight pipes back, no mufflers involved. I have a friend that did that to his Dakota. Misunderstanding. Now that I know what you mean, I'm going to request that.

And yes, I did say Valvoline. Though now that yo.. I gotta run. shocked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >