Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212178 - 12/23/10 10:41 AM The passing of the torch has come
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Earlier this week, a cylinder head went to lunch on my son's Montana mini-van, and with 176K on the clock and the lack of funds right before Christmas, we decided its run was over.

After some extensive internet shopping, and finding very little in as good condition as my car is, we decided to sell the Grand Prix from father to son.

So just as in the comic books, the mantle of the Bat was eventually worn by Dick Grayson, so the Thunderbat is being handed over to the next in line as well.

The first car I gave him lasted 100K miles after he received it, for a grand total of 275k...and I feel the GP has the potential to do the same. Maybe since he is paying for this one he will take a little better care of it as I am more than willing to help with labor as long as he will purchase his own parts.

I will ecourage him to join the board since I'm sure it will be as much a resource for him as it has been for me. I wish to extend a hearty thanks to one and all here. I joined this community before I purchased the T-Bat myself, and this group has been a wealth of information and support. It has been a vehicle for fun as well as education, and the friends I have made both virtual and in person will be cherished.

I still plan to stay in the Pontiac family, and I am presently looking at a 2004 Bonneville SLE, but nothing is final as of yet.

Thank you one and all for every contribution, and I'll still be dropping in since the SLE still packs the venerable 3800.

Its been a ride I will never forget!

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#212180 - 12/23/10 12:08 PM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Lucky kid.

As for the bonnie why an SLE? Why not an SSEI? As for the GXP the Northstar scares me.
#212181 - 12/23/10 01:04 PM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
I've read too many horror stories about the Northstar, so a GXP was a non-starter. As for the SLE, it was more about availability. I searched for 6cyl Bonnes on autotrader and this particular SLE is close by, a one owner car, sold here in VA new and then spent its entire life in North Carolina before being bought by the used car dealer at wholesale auction.

You can tell the car has never been up north by lack of rust and clean wheelwells. Given the condition of the paint and interior, it may well have been a garage queen, that and 89k miles is low for a 6 year old car.

I never ran across a decent condition SSEi the whole time I was shopping. I certainly wouldnt have been opposed to one, but I wasnt holding out for one either. It came down to an 06 GP GXP down in Carolina (most expensive choice) an 03 Chrysler 300M Special in PA, and this 04 SLE less than an hour away.

#212182 - 12/23/10 06:07 PM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
The 300M isn't that the rounded one similar to the cloud cars? If so never cared for the looks of it.
#212184 - 12/23/10 09:38 PM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
I figured that you were going to be giving it up at some point.

Hope you still pop your head in every once in a while. Good luck with your search.
#212185 - 12/23/10 10:53 PM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
The 300M is part of the LH family (Intrepid, Concorde, Vision) but it was the most performance oriented, lighter, shorter overall, and more power.

It looks like the Bonne is the prime candidate for now.

I told my son tonight to join up, and one pic of the car will be his calling card. He's not a real blue-blood gearhead, but he is trying to learn how to take care of the car.

#212189 - 12/24/10 11:34 AM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
its good to know your car is going to someone that you know will take care of it! It sucks that i wasnt able to pick it up like we had discussed. Does he have any plans for it as of now, such as lowering it again?

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#212193 - 12/25/10 12:38 AM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Sorry to hear about the car. Sounds like it will be in good hands though.

It sounds like you have your mind made up on the Bonneville but I suggest you do a little research first. True, they do have the 3800 which is one the most reliable motors ever built, but the Bonne's overall lack severely in quality. I have heard of people having nothing but problems with those cars, which is unfortunate because I've always liked the way they look.

Not saying the one you're looking at isn't as great as it sounds. Just saying the overall track record of the Bonneville isn't great.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#212194 - 12/25/10 01:25 AM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
I've done quite a bit of reading over on the Bonne forums, in much the same way I researched the GP right here before I bought the T-Bat, and most of the issues seem to be with the 2000-02 models. Things such as leaking door seals and trunk leaks were thing I looked the car over for, and the carpet and trunk mat appear to be unstained.

Rear window regulators are another problem area, but the board has a how-to on a modded repair to solve that issue.

I know exactly where youre coming from, and I do appreciate the heads-up because I had read and heard the very same warnings, but I'm hoping for some 04 evolution to have solved some issues, and hoping a well cared for one-owner car will have already had some things addressed.

I strongly considered a GP GXP, but the extra purchase cost combined with my doubts that the LS4 would get any kind of mileage at 70mph cruise speeds made me rule that out. I know I would love the exhaust note but I might hate it at the gas pump, with the 3800 Bonne, you get a sexy looking body style, and as you pointed out, a solid engine. (plus I still have mod parts)

Josh is still on the learning curve when it comes to cars, but he wants to keep the car in good shape and is willing to do his best, so I think he is more into maintaining as opposed to modding at this point. I'm sure we will be working on the car together most of the time so it will be sharing experience and chance for him to learn as he goes.

Edited by ThunderBat (12/25/10 01:29 AM)

#212196 - 12/25/10 08:59 AM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
Oh man, Timmy. I hate to hear you're getting rid of the GP, but at least you're getting another Pontiac.

I'm glad you, Jon and I got to meet a few years ago at our mini London meet! Maybe we can do it again soon.

You've got to post some pics of the new ride once you get it!

Don
#212197 - 12/25/10 10:52 PM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
Here are a couple of shots from the dealer website...really looking forward to a photo shoot of my own.

#212199 - 12/26/10 12:58 PM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
nice pick up! now, slap a turbo kit on it! lol

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#212215 - 12/28/10 09:17 PM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
The Bonne is home in the driveway but too dark for any pics. The ride home was fun with the L36 seeming to make way more power than it should. I'm lovin all the toys, and the power seat can keep you busy for hours.

A few LEDs in the switches are out but nothing major. My wife gives high marks to the dual zone climate control and heated seats.

#212216 - 12/28/10 10:04 PM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Congrats on the new addition!
She looks good.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#212217 - 12/29/10 10:49 AM Re: The passing of the torch has come [Re: ThunderBat]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Congrats.