Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212745 - 02/14/11 10:51 PM is there a fix for my wipers?
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
Not sure what to call it, but the thing that the wiper arm attaches to on our car, I believe the splines are stripped out and I was wondering if there is anyway to fix this without having to repair the whole assembly?

I think I screwed it up when I tried taking the wiper arms off 4-5 years ago due to the floods that occurred in the passenger side floorboard. I didn't know know there was a clip or release button to get it off and I pretty much used a puller or something to get it off cause I thought it was stuck on there. With the ice we had last month, it started slipping on the splines again and running them in the rain, it will sometimes get out of sync and kind of wipe past the windshield.

Just wondering if it can be fixed easily or is it a major fix. Never seen it discussed on here so I thought I would ask. I haven't looked at it in a while but it seems like the spline was part of it assembly so not sure if it could be fixed. Always could jb weld it or something but then couldn't get it off and probably would need to soon after.

Also, it seems like the board switched over to the new format, there are less people posting on here.
dhp 1.0
#212746 - 02/14/11 11:14 PM Re: is there a fix for my wipers? [Re: snowcrash]
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
As long as it isn't completely ripped apart, which normally they're not, this isn't too bad of a fix. Take the wiper arm off and clean everything off really good. A right angle o-ring pick works great for removing all the little metal filling from the splines. A little brake parts cleaner on a rag helps too for the final wipe down. Now put it all back together and generally it will work just fine. When you go to tighten the nut back down, make sure you hold onto the wiper arm for the final tightening or you risk breaking stuff underneath the cover and then it gets expensive.
#212759 - 02/15/11 03:45 PM Re: is there a fix for my wipers? [Re: snowcrash]
stoveguy Offline
Loc: minnesota
my driver wiper arm came loose today. the nut was finger tight. took off arm and the female bore is smooth. no splines. is that right? the male splined shaft has some spline material left. so its not totally wasted. could take off pass side to see what both parts look like. as far as splines go.
#212766 - 02/16/11 01:45 AM Re: is there a fix for my wipers? [Re: snowcrash]
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
I just did one of these today. The wiper arm will not have splines, the male part on the car will. The splines are probably still there, just the cracks are filled with the metal from the wiper arm. An o ring pick works great for removing the metal.
#212769 - 02/16/11 10:36 AM Re: is there a fix for my wipers? [Re: snowcrash]
stoveguy Offline
Loc: minnesota
took off pass side arm. there are splines on bore. not very deep but they are there. driver side seems tight. at least arm moves ok. but the wipers bounce at bottom of stroke. wonder if wiper linkage is getting loose? its new car to me so i am just finding out issues now. will check car #2 to see how wipers move.
#212798 - 02/18/11 11:12 PM Re: is there a fix for my wipers? [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash Offline
thanks for the tip, i'll try and look at it good this weekend!
dhp 1.0
#213775 - 05/15/11 03:59 PM Re: is there a fix for my wipers? [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash Offline
Just wanted to update my situation.

We did some work this weekend on it with the struts and I decided to look into the wiper problem since it has been raining a lot lately.

Pain in the ass really to take it off as there should be a better way when they designed it but got it and off and thought the splines were gone but took a little wire brush and started to find them. Then took a little flat blade screwdriver and clean the splines out the best that I could. I did notice that it looks like the hole in the wiper arm is wore out a little bit but I put it on as tight as I could get it and hopefully that will fix it for a while. It does seem to not want to move on the splines if you try to move it but I didn't want to really force it.

Thanks for the help!
dhp 1.0