Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#213936 - 05/26/11 11:28 PM Motor Has Been Pulled
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
Haven't really posted here in awhile, but thought i would give a "Small" update on the car...

Monday:
I was getting off the highway,and all of a sudden it sounded pretty bad... so i babied it home and took this vid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pBBXHvZTH4

Tuesday: Crawled under the car, took off the plastic cover for the flexplate and found the flexplate cracked. So i knew then it was that. Time to pull the motor.

Today (Thursday):
Got the motor pulled out thanks to a few friends helping me out. This is the first time the motor has ever been out of the car so it was a little tight on some of the bolts. Flex Plate is definitely broke in a few spots [8D] Pulled the Trans pan off.. found quite a bit of clutch material, and i mean A LOT. So the trans is going to get rebuild to while its out. Nothing major, just a simple rebuild kit.

Plans while everything is out: (Keep in mind, going the cheapest route I can as I don't have much money)

Motor:
Replace the Flexplate with a low mile L67 flex plate
XP Cam
90# LS6 Springs
Modded Retainers
New Stock Chain and Dampner
All new gaskets obviously and clean up the motor a lot and maybe do a little paint work.

Trans:
Picking up a GT TQ Converter Possibly depending on price.
Doing a full clutch pack rebuild including new 4th gear hardened shaft.

Hopefully I can get everything all put back together soon. With the way money situation is going, its gonna be tight.

Little picture process...

Edited by BoostenGTP (05/26/11 11:29 PM)
#213937 - 05/26/11 11:28 PM Re: Motor Has Been Pulled [Re: BoostenGTP]
BoostenGTP Offline

And of course, have to have the famous standing in the empty engine bay picture.. YES I know the Arrow on my shirt should be pointing up [;)]
#213939 - 05/26/11 11:34 PM Re: Motor Has Been Pulled [Re: BoostenGTP]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

My daughter has the same chest of drawers!!!
#213940 - 05/26/11 11:36 PM Re: Motor Has Been Pulled [Re: HercMan(Rob)]
BoostenGTP Offline
Originally Posted By: HercMan(Rob)

My daughter has the same chest of drawers!!!

LOL, I've had those for quite a while now. Probably as long as I've lived in this house.
#213949 - 05/27/11 08:39 AM Re: Motor Has Been Pulled [Re: BoostenGTP]
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Looks like you've done this once or twice before. wink Hope you get it running right. I lost 3rd gear in mine last week, so I'm going to have to pop for a built trans at some point. Have it tuned to use 1,2,4 instead, it's not too bad. Less shifting is kind of nice LOL. I think I'd rather lose 3 than 4, for mpg purposes.

Careful lifting by that drivers side bracket. That one gave out on me when I tried using it.

Edit: On the other hand, I was pulling both engine and trans, it's probably safer with just the engine. smile

Edited by Zalfrin (05/27/11 08:40 AM)
#213977 - 05/28/11 10:31 PM Re: Motor Has Been Pulled [Re: BoostenGTP]
BoostenGTP Offline
Motor is on the engine stand, time for clean up. Got the XP cam yesterday, waiting on my springs and retainers. Then headed to ZZP to get my gaskets and timing chain/dampner. Hoping to have it back together within the next two weeks.

And the garage space that a lot of people get jealous about that i have lol.