Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#214861 - 07/09/11 11:18 PM Worth it?
kamaan1994 Offline
So i was originally planning to put a bunch of my money that i earn this summer into my 2003 GP GT, but i was wondering if im going to end up losing it in a couple of months to a year. It has about 140,000 miles on it, but before i bout it, it was sitting in a shop for around a year, not sure if it was driven during that time. Also, im pretty sure the previous owner didnt treat it very well, or at least never had it checked out. When we got it, the check engine, abs, and tc lights were on, also, whenever i put the pedal halfway down, or when im cruising over thirty, theres an almost violent shaking of the car. I was looking through the other threads and im assuming that its a cv joint problem, or maybe a mount is loose? i wanted to get a supra possibly, but this is what my dad decided i was gonna have. would it make sense to put money into it, or should i just wait it out?
#214863 - 07/10/11 12:29 AM Re: Worth it? [Re: kamaan1994]
Caesar Offline
Loc: Michigan
I would try to save the car if it isn't too expensive to fix.

Before spending any money, you can do some free checks first. First thing to do is to get your car scanned. Most auto parts stores have scanners you can borrow if you don't have one at your disposal. After getting the list of codes, write them down, then clear them out. Investigate using the knowledge of this site and the internet to help pinpoint what the problem(s) is/are.

For the ABS and TC lights...jack the front end up and remove the front tires. Look around the hub on each side for broken wires. You can solder the wires back together if they were separated. If the wires on both sides are still connected, you most likely have a hub problem.

If you are handy at all around a car (or know someone who is), replacing the hubs are no big deal. A good size air compressor makes this easy.

After that, take a look at the radiator and the fluid. The Dexcool (Orange stuff) tends to clump and clog radiators if not serviced regularly. If it looks milky, you probably have leak issues (such as leaky Lower Intake Manifold).

The LIM is fairly easy to do. I have done it twice on my car and once on a 3.1 GP.

No matter what, don't get discouraged if you do have some problems to fix. These Grand Prixs are good cars.

I like to start off with fresh fluids and filters on my new to me cars so I know that proper maintenance been performed. Don't forget air filter, cabin filter, and pcv valve.

Good luck!