Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#215384 - 08/09/11 10:37 PM Found the Problem with my AC
GTPJack Offline
Loc: Hoover, AL
I have replaced the climate control unit thinking it was my problem, it wasn't. I don't have the dual control unit just so you know what I'm talking about. The middle control dial that goes from hot to cold would only sometimes blow a little cool, so I would go from hot to cold hoping that would help. I knew my air should blow colder. I found that the blend door actuator under the dash on the driver side is my problem. I manually with a nail in the little notches turned the end of the shaft coming out of the actuator counter clockwise and that did the job. The actuator has little hash marks next to the shaft, once I turned the shaft they lined up perfectly, the air is blowing super cold. I guess the door wasn't opening or closing all the way. I am not going to touch that dial becuase I know its going to go back to hot air. Tomorrow morning on the way to work I am going to stop by the stealership and grap a new one, which is in stock. I hope that's it and not a vaccum problem.

Next: 3" down pipe, SD Ram Air Hood,
#215394 - 08/10/11 10:13 PM Re: Found the Problem with my AC [Re: GTPJack]
GTPJack Offline
Ok, I change the actuator and it worked, I only had to remove a few things out of the way to get to it, kinda snug area to work in but before I put everything back I started the car and moved the dial from cold to hot and back to cold, I could see the end of the shaft turning and the air is working great. I wanted to take some pics, but once I got started I just wanted to get it over with. Nice to have the air working back at its Max cooling capacity.

#215399 - 08/11/11 11:06 PM Re: Found the Problem with my AC [Re: GTPJack]
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
I wished you would have took pics of what you had to do to get to it! I took one out of junk gp to replace mine with incase I was going to have to go that route and had the hardest time trying to figure out what to remove to get it out.

Pretty sure that I probably couldn't have got it back in though after getting it out the way I did. Now I have 3 of those blend door actuators laying around incase I ever need to use one.

Congrats on getting your air fixed though because I know you're loving that cold AIR. I know we did once we added some freon to the car and that fixed our issues at the moment!
dhp 1.0
#215406 - 08/13/11 01:22 AM Re: Found the Problem with my AC [Re: snowcrash]
GTPJack Offline
Sorry and I wish I had taken pictures. I can give a description though, you remove the grey carpeted cover and the plastic cover under the dash, then there's a black metal bracket right under the steering column, which was only a couple of bolts, then its just trying to find the right position to get the actuator out. Man talk about being on your back head down on the floor board, awkward position to be in. Just have patience whenever your time comes and you'll get it. It's better than letting the stealership rob you blind. The guy I bought the part from I guess was trying to get some business for the mechanic by telling me the actuator would need to be programed by their service dept, not at all true. I just made sure the notches on the shaft of the new actuator lined up in the same position as the old one, which is important because the screw holes on the actuator were lined up without any problem. Just put the screws back in, and everything else in reverse order then you're done.