Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#215679 - 09/07/11 09:29 PM Re: Bonnie gots new talons [Re: Richard Candelario]
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I was originally looking at a '97 Z28 that needed a lot of front end parts (it'd been wrecked). However, the same guy recently acquired a '00 Camaro with 3800 and an M5. We've already agreed on me taking possession of it, but he has to find a replacement ride before I can. So it's a waiting game until he finds another vehicle (he's got a couple deals on 240sx's hes trying to buy).

It's got 175k miles and needs a lot of interior work. Rear left quarter is a bit banged. I drove it and it appears to be mechanically sound, just needs some TLC. The manual transmission and 3800 sold me on it. I've missed banging gears ever since I totaled my Stratus.

New project car cometh. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up buying an L67 or L32 for it, strip the block down and use it as a basis for a turbo build. That's a long time off though. Right now I'm just focusing on getting the interior restored, rear quarter fixed, and removing all the christmas lights off the dash. If I'm not mistaken I can tune it with my PowrTuner too.
#215680 - 09/07/11 09:50 PM Re: Bonnie gots new talons [Re: ThunderBat]
Richard Candelario Offline
Thanks, Corey! $120 for tips? sweeeet...

Yes, you can, Rook. I've read DTCs, cleared DTCs, done a few scans. If you need, I have the OE .bin for the 4.1 FBod L36/MM5.

Unless I'm mistaken, the 00 had the Borg-Warner M49 tranny, right? My 98 MM5 is a M49. Eventually I plan on using a T56 with a (presumably) one-off bellhousing.

What christmas lights are you talking about? Are there that many idiot lights goin ape on ya?

What you'll find, also, with these cars is that the two-piece driveshaft is GARBAGE. Get a 44" (or was it 48"?) driveshaft. Also look for poly mounts for the engine (two each) and for the tranny (one each. it's going to take a bit of fabrication to fit right. ask and I'll get you a pic), and make DARN sure the rubber bushings for the forward end of the torque arm is there. There's the requisite checks to be made for the L36 that are common to the GTs here.

Ask and I'll blast all the links I have for Shianne. Biggest clearing house, though? LS1Tech.com . Register. Yeah, it's not nearly as friendly there as it is here, but they KNOW their stuff. Granted, not nearly as much about the L36 as we do here, but the rest of car...there's not much of anything they haven't done. And they're sponsored by some BIG industry names.

Otherwise, I SURE enjoy driving this car, regardless of my messed up line-of-sight due to my height. It's a fun car with TONS of potential. OH! and I also knock down at least 20mpg in town. With tons of issues with the engine, I was able to get 24mpg going from here to the other side of Nashville and back. Most of that was taking it easy (as I would on a long roadtrip), but the last 25% was done at an aggressive 80mph (my daughter's school had an emergency early-release...and I had her booster seat!). What's my current highway mpg? No clue, but it has GOT to be at least 27mpg.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#215681 - 09/07/11 11:10 PM Re: Bonnie gots new talons [Re: ThunderBat]
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I don't want to thread hijack so I'll leave it after this...

From what I understood its a T5 tranny. M49 a derivative or another model altogether? Also, I think this one has a one-piece driveshaft, they apparently did away with 2-piece in the last few years. I KNOW for a fact the tranny mount is gone (shoulda seen the gearshift bobbing when I test drove it). It's one of the first things on my to-do list. The A/C works though!

As far as christmas lights... I noticed ABS Inop, Check Engine, and Check Gauges light... I have yet to understand what check gauges might be coming on for, except the fuel hand doesn't want to work. Anyway, it runs and I'm getting it for almost nothing on my part. The GP will probably evolve into my DD and I'll get rid of my Malibu.
#215699 - 09/08/11 11:19 PM Re: Bonnie gots new talons [Re: ThunderBat]
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
Rick... Just buckle down and put a few phone books on the seat... :P

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2