Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#215690 - 09/08/11 06:33 PM FBod chat
Richard Candelario Offline
Since we now have our own lil L36 ClubCam.Net here, might as well start this thread. Not likely to last beyond a few days, but why not, right?

First up, Rook's post from another thread (start of original thread)

Originally Posted By: RooK
I don't want to thread hijack so I'll leave it after this...

From what I understood its a T5 tranny. M49 a derivative or another model altogether? Also, I think this one has a one-piece driveshaft, they apparently did away with 2-piece in the last few years. I KNOW for a fact the tranny mount is gone (shoulda seen the gearshift bobbing when I test drove it). It's one of the first things on my to-do list. The A/C works though!

As far as christmas lights... I noticed ABS Inop, Check Engine, and Check Gauges light... I have yet to understand what check gauges might be coming on for, except the fuel hand doesn't want to work. Anyway, it runs and I'm getting it for almost nothing on my part. The GP will probably evolve into my DD and I'll get rid of my Malibu.

Nah, the T5 is one type (or model number?) of tranny, while my M49 is yet another.

That tranny mount? LOL, that's why I used to call my gearshift selector my car's "happy stick"! Mine was broken in two. Also, during a rather spirited round of city driving, the broken tranny mount had put so much stress on my exh system that I had severed the pipe just aft of the cat. It was funny, man. Exh Guy: "This thing's only a V6, how'd you EVER get enough power to break the tranny mount AND totally rupture the exhaust pipe?!" Me: "It's a Chevy L36, man. That right there is the legacy of the Grand National, man!" Summit has those polyurethane mounts in stock. Trust me. Get em.

Have you noticed if your headlights dim intermittently when those dash lights pop on? For me, that was all part and parcel of a bad coil pack (2/5 in my case).

When I bought mine, I also got rid of my 85 Firebird (Belen...I'm actually missing that POS, man...such a cool lookin ride!) and the 4 T/A rims that I bought from TireRack. The rims cost me $640. The Camaro was being offered for 2500. I walked out of there with a $1500 receipt from my debit card and a 98 Camaro.

I'm more than certain that there'll be no love lost between you and the 'Bu, but it'll be nice to see your Panther get more and more time on the prowl.

Edited by Richard Candelario (09/08/11 06:36 PM)

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#215691 - 09/08/11 06:51 PM Re: FBod chat [Re: Richard Candelario]
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Ha, this car has an exhaust leak too, you can hear it plain as day every time you shift. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the culprit. I can't comment on the lights, I've driven it once in the daytime and and heard it started up a few times. Those dash lights are ALWAYS on.

My first plan of attack is to fix the tranny (heh) and motor mounts if they need it. Then remove the fuel pump and try fixing the sending unit, followed by a new fuel filter. Then I'll delve into the dash light issues. From there, who knows? It probably could use a good seafoaming and odds and ends along with a tuneup. I've got to put a stereo in it too. Find or create a replacement liner for the trunk (totally missing). The first toy I'll install is probably a Pro 5.0 shifter.

Get this... you try starting it after its been sitting, first time it won't start. 2nd time, it always starts. I know when he got it, it wouldn't start and he put a used pump from a buddy's parts car in it to get it working. I'm pretty sure he didn't replace the fuel filter and I'd wager its being overly restrictive. If I get the sending unit working, I'm probably gonna grab a walbro to put in it. Those pump assemblies are over $300 at a parts store.
#215694 - 09/08/11 09:19 PM Re: FBod chat [Re: Richard Candelario]
Oh, man, I was changing my clutch about 2 years ago, right? The auto crafts shop on base was closing soon, so I had to start slapping my car back together. When I was torquing the passenger d/p back onto the manifold, I had broke the bolt into the bracket on the manifold, thus keeping the exh from sealing. I started to make the joke about my car being the only John Deere-powered Camaro in existence. These cars sound like CRAP when running open manifolds.

If you can find it, you can run a USB cable from behind the HU into the glove REALLY easily. I did with mine. Problem with most HUs? They can only recognize so many gigs of storage and data.

OH! and you're gonna wanna buy a short-throw shifter. I can't tell you how many times I miss shifts because of the huge row between gears. I understand Hurst makes a REALLY good unit.

Speaking of sending unit: I have no idea why, but I've gone through a number of oil sending units on Shianne already. Might as well get one, and its tool, now while it's not an issue.

The fuel sending unit? Is the unit $300 regardless of brand, or is the Walbro the expensive one? How does it compare to Federal Mogul stuff?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#215697 - 09/08/11 10:23 PM Re: FBod chat [Re: Richard Candelario]
RooK Offline
No idea if the clutch in this has been replaced, but I did some low rpm, 5th gear pedal mashing and I saw no slippage. The clutch pedal felt really good too. However, everytime I shifted the exhaust would growl at me from under the car. It was somewhat amusing.

All fuel pumps just for this car come in the sending unit assembly. You can take the assembly apart and install a walbro for $60-100. Depends on if my sending unit can be fixed.

The reason I need a stereo is it doesn't have one. Speak from right door is missing too... lol I think the old owner just ripped the stuff out, with remnants of amp RCAs still running to the back.
#216042 - 09/22/11 07:48 PM Re: FBod chat [Re: Richard Candelario]
RooK Offline
Ok, just an update and some info. Might be getting it this weekend if a car deal goes through for a 240sx he's buying.

In other notes, it is an M49. T5 is the transmission model, M49 is the GM tranny code. And just for you, T56 on a 3800 looks extremely plausible with this... http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/item/3838217/4803441.htm I'll probably be going that route at some point.
#216043 - 09/22/11 07:57 PM Re: FBod chat [Re: Richard Candelario]
Really? According to the RPO print-out for my VIN, MM5 is the RPO for the manual. M49 is the RPO for the Borg-Warner M49 5-speed transmission.

EDIT: I just looked at that adapter. Intriguing indeed. I sent an email to that address they listed, but he's away for now. It won't be until the 25th for him to respond. Thanks a ton for bringing that up to me, though!

Edited by Richard Candelario (09/22/11 08:04 PM)

98 L36/MM5
RaC