Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#215692 - 09/08/11 08:45 PM tire dilemma
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
This may sound like el-cheapo corner cutting, but budget constraints can work on you this way.

For starters, I'm surprised I'm having balancing issues with the new wheel/tire combo on Bonnie. My local shop guy (who has extensive experience with this)has now tried 3 times to iron the problem out. The car is absolutely fine until you reach 65mph and then the seats start to shake. One back wheel took quite a bit of weight to balance, and the vibration is more annoying than anything else, but with the stock rims/tires the car was plank smooth to 80mph or above...so why not now?

My feeling is that the tire is bad, but the eBay store I ordered them from (buywheelstoday) wont take a return if the tire has been mounted (so how the heck do you know if its bad?)

I sent them a stern discontented email, but I doubt it will change anything. I'm considering swapping the tires to the convertible and see if the issue remains, but that also means I need another set for Bonnie.

I've noticed several sites that sell used tires, and I began to wonder if it would be worth getting some second-hand high-end tires,(like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S)

The high UTQG rating still offers long treadwear, and as long as they have no patches or plugs they should be good.

Part of me feels like this is splitting hairs, but the most inexpensive set the local shop offers is over $700/set (and thats for a low end tire) Pilot Sports retail for around $240 each when new, so a price of less than half that doesnt sound bad.

I guess mostly I'm just hacked off right now that I spent the bucks for the wheel/tire set-up I've got and it looks like I'm eating at least one of them for lunch...and that tastes like crap.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#215693 - 09/08/11 09:15 PM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Depending on the place, you can get some really good used tires. Either from cars that were just wrecked not long after hitting the road with a fresh set, or people dumping stockers for huge aftermarket rims.

All I can say is shop around, and if you see a really good deal, try it.
#215695 - 09/08/11 09:22 PM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
Richard Candelario Offline
That's pretty much what my Soldiers do if they're that deep into a payday and NEED tires to satisfy the POV inspection deficiencies. They'll head off to any one of the used tire joints around here and snag a tire or few that'll fit (treadwear and pattern notwithstanding) and come back for reinspection. Frustrating? Yep. Safe? Not REALLY, but better than being here in Tuckasee with bologna skins. Legal? Unfortunately, yes.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#215696 - 09/08/11 10:21 PM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
I agree Rick that throwing on whatever you can grab aint a good idea, as opposed to looking for a lightly used high quality tire that has light wear.

Any visible damage makes things a no-go, severe scrapes that indicate curb rash or an impact, the aformentioned patches and plugs, as well as cupping or uneven wear.

Rook hit the idea I think, if you can find take-offs from tire swaps thats probably the best bet.

#215717 - 09/09/11 10:43 PM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
macus1305 Offline
Loc: mass
if u got aftermarket rims make sure they have hub centering rings other wise they will always shake
#215721 - 09/10/11 07:06 AM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
I ordered a set of centric rings today. I hope that helps, but that one back tire has a ton of weights on it.

#215764 - 09/12/11 07:20 PM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
I found a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, no patches, plugs or repairs, 6-7/32 tread left (9-10 new, so about 65% tread life left) They are 500 UTQG and Y speed rated.

Tire Rack sells them new for $243 each, and I got the entire set for $350. I think I'm going to move the Nexens to the Sebring since that car doesnt get as much hi-speed cruise time, and I'll put the Pilot Sports on Bonnie.

Maybe these plus the centric rings will smooth her out.

#215767 - 09/12/11 07:56 PM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
RooK Offline
Try the centric rings before you have the tires swapped. I'm really curious if that alone will fix it.
#215772 - 09/13/11 09:16 AM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Didn't you have issues with tire balance on your GP as well?
#215783 - 09/13/11 10:39 PM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
No balance issues as I recall. I think the heavy weight of the 18in Bullitts contributed to the front hubs wearing out, but no fitment or balance problems.

I did go through several different wheels when I was sizing down to the 15 inchers, having issues with brake caliper clearance.

I do plan to try the centric rings before I make any other moves, but the Sebring was going to need tires before next years inspection anyway, so this will work out.

If the centric rings do solve the issue then I'll move the Nexens to the vert with confidence. If not, then once they are mounted on the vert I'll be able to truly isolate the problem as a tire vs wheel.

I contacted Buy Wheels Today and they confirmed that the shop I deal with is an authorized Nexen dealer, and if I find that a tire is bad in this case he can warranty a replacement.

If I mount the Pilot Sports on Bonnie and the issue still persists even with the centric rings then I'll be certain I have a wheel problem rather than a tire.

A lot of juggling to be sure. Thank goodness this guy at my local shop is so good to work with on things like this.

#215785 - 09/13/11 11:33 PM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
RooK Offline
You had vibration issues on the GP. I do remember that. Whole thread devoted to it and you trying to find the culprit, but I can't remember what it was exactly.
#215794 - 09/14/11 10:14 PM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
The vibration problems I had with the GP were after I had installed the lowering springs, which was more related to axle angle instead of wheel balance. I tried the shorter dogbones, new mounts and eventually new axles. The problem got better but never went away until I took the lowering springs off.

#215834 - 09/17/11 03:27 AM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
The centric ring arrived Thrusday afternoon, and I got them installed today. Its hard to believe how sucha slight piece of metal can have such an effect, but they certainly cured the problem. Bonnie is flat smooth all the way past 70-75mph.

The Michelin Pilot Sports also arrived and I couldnt be happier with them. I think what Rook had suggested was the source of this set of tires as two appear to have some scrub marks on the outside treads as though the car took a hard slide...otherwise they are flawless. No patches,plugs or scuffed sidewalls, and plenty of tread left. Hopefully I can get the tires all swapped around this coming week, then both of my cars will be happy smile

#215877 - 09/18/11 12:32 AM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
RooK Offline
Good to hear!
#216056 - 09/23/11 04:44 AM Re: tire dilemma [Re: ThunderBat]
ThunderBat Offline
Will try and get the Pilot Sports mounted this week...then I'll have to upgrade my sig pic smile

(I feel a photo shoot coming on...but I do need to get my exhaust tips on before I do that)