Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#216774 - 11/15/11 01:05 PM Coolant Level?
rambisetr Offline
Loc: WI
Can someone tell me how much coolant should be in the reservior tank when cold and hot? The manual has a crappy picture that doesn't help at all. Is there a line on the tank I am not seeing? Can you put too much coolant in? I keep checking the reservoir tank and when cold or hot there is barely any in the bottom. I'm also having issues with the heat only blowing hot when I accelerate. Any help appreciated.
#216775 - 11/15/11 01:46 PM Re: Coolant Level? [Re: rambisetr]
Digitallyphoenix Offline
Loc: Daytona beach, Fl
there should be a cold and hot level mark molded into the tank. you deff should not be seeing the bottom of the tank. if your engine has low coolant then that would explain the heat issue as there isnt enough coolant to flow thru the heater core unless you are stepping on it and the pump is pushing more coolant.

you need to fill the system up at the radiator and find where the leak is.

you can use the coolant level as an indication of how high the leak is off the ground... as the coolant level will be just under the level of the leak.

Edited by Digitallyphoenix (11/15/11 01:49 PM)

96 Z34 (3.4L DOHC RIP PB 14.81@92.2): www.cardomain.com/id/z34phoenix
L36 swap SD header, 2.5" exhaust, HV3, PowrTuner, Wideband, topswap w/ ported heads to be installed
#217033 - 01/02/12 02:06 PM Re: Coolant Level? [Re: rambisetr]
jrprattjr Offline
Loc: Troy, Michigan
I just finished with the same problem. You are leaking coolant out of the plastic coolant elbows. They are located at the bottom of the belt tensioner bracket, and go into the water pump and lower intake manifold. You have to remove the belt, alternator, and belt tensioner. The two elbows were $4.24 at a NAPA auto parts. It took about 2 hours because I dropped a couple sockets and had to retrieve them. Overall not very hard.
#217034 - 01/02/12 02:17 PM Re: Coolant Level? [Re: rambisetr]
jrprattjr Offline
Loc: Troy, Michigan