Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#216888 - 11/30/11 12:40 AM Why is my oil on the floor instead of in the Engine?
225k97gtp Offline
Just wondering where oil likes to leak from on these 97 GTP's? It's real busy where the leak is coming from but its general location is below the alternator, I saw some by the Injector on the top of the engine also. It's like too fricken tight to get my eyes back there but its dripping bad. Is it cheaper to just keep adding or tear it apart? Anyone else have this problem? It's hitting the drive axle on the passenger side so could it be Valve Cover Gasket? Front Seal? Oil Pan? Sending Unit? Junk Yard Time? 1 quart every 400 miles. Car is my wife's 75 mile per day commute car. 240,000 miles, Runs Perfect, 28-30 MPG, no weird noises.
#216889 - 11/30/11 08:44 AM Re: Why is my oil on the floor instead of in the Engine? [Re: 225k97gtp]
Richard Candelario Offline
Lower Intake Manifold gasket or the valve cover gasket. You're going to want to replace that gasket, the injector o-rings, the coolant elbows, and possibly clean the blower. Oil pan gaskets have been pretty notorious as well. All 3 of my L36s needed oil pan gaskets.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#216899 - 12/04/11 12:26 AM Re: Why is my oil on the floor instead of in the Engine? [Re: 225k97gtp]
BlueGTP Offline
i burn alot of oil too but mine burns somewhere and not in the combustion chamber so im lost
#216900 - 12/04/11 08:08 AM Re: Why is my oil on the floor instead of in the Engine? [Re: 225k97gtp]
Richard Candelario Offline
Most likely the valve cover gaskets, especially the front. If not there, then you're possibly burning off what little is trickling out of your LIM. That's actually kind of good news, if I am correct: your LIM hasn't failed...yet. If it is oil seeping out from your LIM then this is your warning to get it done. If it's the valve cover gasket, this is your warning to get it done before you have an engine fire. There's a recall for the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug wire loom for the W-Body L36 and L67. Call up the $tealer$hip and see if your car is covered under that recall. If you decide to do it yourself there are a number of related parts that you should replace while you're there: injector o-rings, coolant elbows, LIM, UIM, valve cover gaskets and possibly the valve covers themselves.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#216903 - 12/04/11 05:06 PM Re: Why is my oil on the floor instead of in the Engine? [Re: Richard Candelario]
BlueGTP Offline
Originally Posted By: Richard Candelario
Most likely the valve cover gaskets, especially the front. If not there, then you're possibly burning off what little is trickling out of your LIM. That's actually kind of good news, if I am correct: your LIM hasn't failed...yet. If it is oil seeping out from your LIM then this is your warning to get it done. If it's the valve cover gasket, this is your warning to get it done before you have an engine fire. There's a recall for the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug wire loom for the W-Body L36 and L67. Call up the $tealer$hip and see if your car is covered under that recall. If you decide to do it yourself there are a number of related parts that you should replace while you're there: injector o-rings, coolant elbows, LIM, UIM, valve cover gaskets and possibly the valve covers themselves.

am i suppose to be able to see smoke or gases coming out of the valve cover hole when i take the cap off i mean i get there is gases in there but idk
#216905 - 12/04/11 10:14 PM Re: Why is my oil on the floor instead of in the Engine? [Re: 225k97gtp]
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
We've replaced the valve cover gaskets once or twice but I don't think we've ever got them to totally quit leaking but I do think the front is fine. The back one might but I think it probably burns off before hitting the ground what small amount it might leak.

When fixing the tranny, we were able to fix the oil pan leak and that worked out great because I longer have drips of oil on the driveway. I can also tell how much oil the car might be using now since I've stopped the leaks.
dhp 1.0