Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#216893 - 12/01/11 10:46 PM Wish me luck...
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
I just found a 2003 Grand Prix SE near me...with less than 50,000 miles on it! Looks excellent in all the pictures, if I have time I'm going to look at it tomorrow. If all checks out, then it will replace my 01 Monte SS. I've decided it's time to part ways, rack, wheel bearings, tierod ends, ac compressor, fuel pump, and a few other things already placed and it needing new struts, mounts, and brakes made that decision for me.
#216894 - 12/01/11 11:34 PM Re: Wish me luck... [Re: jjcom]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Struts mounts and breaks is way cheaper then another used w body. Just think what you replaced already. That used w body os gonna need the same things in a year or two if not sooner.
#216895 - 12/02/11 12:03 AM Re: Wish me luck... [Re: jjcom]
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
Mine also (as I just learned because the hazard switch and HVAC control head went bad) a lot of chopped wires. I couldn't believe what all had been done behind that dash when I got to looking in there. And for some reason, the cigarette lighter has a random jumped wire going to it from another fuse. The wire is just shoved in with a fuse under the dash. Security light randomly comes on, but will never store a code or do anything else. The lights/alarm started acting weird and some other signs pointing at the BCM going out. The braking issue is front brakes, ABS issue on top of that, seems like the ABS pump is going out on me. Also the intakes are leaking, so it needs lower intake gaskets, and an upper intake. Oil pan gasket also decided to start pouring too. I've got more down time than up time with this car, and I just don't trust it anymore.

Granted, I can do almost everything, but still parts aren't cheap for that stuff. Struts and mounts all the way around is pricey, plus the BCM, and what exactly is wrong otherwise with the brakes. Randomly one of the brakes won't release enough and drag, but as soon as the car is turned off, it's fine. I'm suspecting ABS pump...which is also pricey. I purchased this car with the intent of parking my 96 Grand Prix and slowly restoring it. I've put about 17k miles on it since and 14k miles on the Monte Carlo. The darn thing is broken so often I haven't been able to follow that goal.

I find this funny in a sad way...but the Grand Prix is at over 204,000 miles now and is 10x more reliable. The Monte is about 120k.

Edited by jjcom (12/02/11 12:05 AM)
#216896 - 12/02/11 10:44 AM Re: Wish me luck... [Re: jjcom]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Sounds like some one tried a sterio install and butchered it. Ok Ill give too many nightmares there. I thought you were talking normal.wear stuff.