Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#217124 - 01/20/12 01:06 AM I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise
00 GT - Night Train Offline
Loc: Augusta , Ga
I need you guys help on this one. My car has a loud ticking or tapping noise thatdoes it on some mornings and then goes away when the car heats up. It may do it later on that day. My cousin stated that it was my lifters. What you guys think?
I also need an tune up. So i was thinking on get a used engine and sending my head off and transfer to the new engine or fix what needs to be fix

Also when i drive 40 to 60 the car is jumping when i step on the gas and when i let off it goes away. I ve heard it my be my hub or bearings. Is this true? any advice would help. thanks
#217126 - 01/20/12 08:49 AM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Your cousin is probably right in guessing that it is lifter tick. I have heard of some people using that mystery oil stuff and it clears it up.

Jumping? Like, studdering? If it does away when you let off the gas, it probably isn't suspension/wheel related. It is probably misfiring and needs plugs and wires.

What is the history of this car? Mileage? Maintenance?
#217128 - 01/20/12 10:00 AM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
The tapping is the lifters.

My GTP is having a bouncing issue at certain speeds as well and I think it's the axles. Everything else up front is tight and new; hubs, control arms w/ new bushings and ball joints, tie rods, struts and mounts etc.

You would need to jack up the car and hold the tire at 9 & 3, hold the back of the wheel and push the front. See if it has play. That is to check tie rod play.

Hold the tire at 12 & 6 and pull the top then the bottom and so on, depending on amount of play its' a ball joint or hub.

If these are all tight then it's likely an axle.
#217129 - 01/20/12 11:27 AM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
Brought it 06 and it had 68,000 miles on it. now it has 165,000 Had it for 5yrs with no major issue. Regular maintenance tune ups, oil change,

I also have another issue with my pwr steering. I change the pump and when i am turning to park the car it still feels stiff. I've heard that the rack and pinion on these cars are not well built. Any suggestions ?

Edited by 00 GT - Night Train (01/20/12 11:27 AM)
#217138 - 01/22/12 08:53 AM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
Extracheeze Offline
First thing to do is the seafoam treatment, followed with a switch to synthetic motor oil. Hopefully this will stop the ticking as it will clean the lifters. As for the jumping at speed, does it feel like the engine is revving or losing power or is it more like the power not getting to the wheels, might be the tranny filter and fluid need changed or could be a bad sensor somewhere, like the throttle position sensor, usually though a bad sensor will give you a Check Engine light.
#217142 - 01/22/12 06:13 PM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: Extracheeze]
Originally Posted By: Extracheeze
As for the jumping at speed, does it feel like the engine is revving or losing power or is it more like the power not getting to the wheels, might be the tranny filter and fluid need changed or could be a bad sensor somewhere, like the throttle position sensor, usually though a bad sensor will give you a Check Engine light.

At highway speeds it's bouncing on front passenger side. Did a tranny flush mid 2011.
#217143 - 01/22/12 06:28 PM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: r.s.hutchinson]
Originally Posted By: r.s.hutchinson
The tapping is the lifters.

My GTP is having a bouncing issue at certain speeds as well and I think it's the axles. Everything else up front is tight and new; hubs, control arms w/ new bushings and ball joints, tie rods, struts and mounts etc.

You would need to jack up the car and hold the tire at 9 & 3, hold the back of the wheel and push the front. See if it has play. That is to check tie rod play.

Hold the tire at 12 & 6 and pull the top then the bottom and so on, depending on amount of play its' a ball joint or hub.

If these are all tight then it's likely an axle.

Thanks will try
#217149 - 01/22/12 11:09 PM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
Rotate your tires front to back and see if the bouncing follows.

Buy some motor flush and 6 qts of cheap oil,a cheap filter, 5 qts of good oil and good filter.

Add motor flush and let idle according to directions.

Drain oil & remove filter, once oil stops dripping out, pour a qt of oil into engine with oil plug removed. You will be amazed how much more nasty oil comes out.

Fill filter with cheap oil and install it. Replace plug and pour in 4 qts of cheap oil.

Drive this for a day or two and repeat steps except use the good oil & filter.

FYI Use 5W-30, Purolator, Bosch or Fram tough guard filters. Look up filter for a 2000 S-10 4.3liter 4x4. It is 1" longer for more filtering capacity.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#217158 - 01/23/12 11:51 PM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 72chevman]
Originally Posted By: 72chevman
Rotate your tires front to back and see if the bouncing follows.

Buy some motor flush and 6 qts of cheap oil,a cheap filter, 5 qts of good oil and good filter.

Add motor flush and let idle according to directions.

Drain oil & remove filter, once oil stops dripping out, pour a qt of oil into engine with oil plug removed. You will be amazed how much more nasty oil comes out.

Fill filter with cheap oil and install it. Replace plug and pour in 4 qts of cheap oil.

Drive this for a day or two and repeat steps except use the good oil & filter.

FYI Use 5W-30, Purolator, Bosch or Fram tough guard filters. Look up filter for a 2000 S-10 4.3liter 4x4. It is 1" longer for more filtering capacity.

thanks chevyman. will try that
I have another question. Do you think EGR valve would cause my engine to jump then the car is in park?
If so could i get one cheaper than $200.
Could the EGR valve cause my service engine soon light to flash while driving?
#217159 - 01/24/12 12:37 AM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
Your service light is flashing? That is BAD! Stop driving it and get it fixed. You are doing damage. Drive that car to autozone like a grandma and get it scanned and let us know what code or codes they find. Why all of a sudden are you asking about an EGR? You can take them off and clean the crud out, but that may not be your issue. Again, flashing light is BAD and needs to be fixed NOW!

You can get a OEM EGR valve with gasket from amazon for $102 with free shipping.
EGR valve at Amazon

Edited by 72chevman (01/24/12 12:43 AM)
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#217172 - 01/25/12 08:59 PM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Flashing SES is probably just a misfire. Replace the plugs and wires.

Where in the world did the EGR problem come from?
#217173 - 01/25/12 11:09 PM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: ordonez1307]
Originally Posted By: 72chevman
Your service light is flashing? That is BAD! Stop driving it and get it fixed. You are doing damage. Drive that car to autozone like a grandma and get it scanned and let us know what code or codes they find. Why all of a sudden are you asking about an EGR? You can take them off and clean the crud out, but that may not be your issue. Again, flashing light is BAD and needs to be fixed NOW!

You can get a OEM EGR valve with gasket from amazon for $102 with free shipping.
EGR valve at Amazon

Ok will do. The

Originally Posted By: ordonez1307
Flashing SES is probably just a misfire. Replace the plugs and wires.

Where in the world did the EGR problem come from?

Ok. I forgot to post it when posting the other problems. It started back in December. 3 months before i purchased a EGR from the junk yard. Could not afford new one. Then that when the light started flashing. 2 weeks later I was able to get another from another junk yard. I waiting on imcome tax to fix everything
#217177 - 01/27/12 11:42 AM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
Went to autozone and got the code. P0306 cylinder 6 misfire
I knew I needed tune up anyway.
Price set of 6 spark plug wires @ 60.49 includes tax.
the wires are from XACT for 19.99
My spark plugs are from NGK- Iridium IX Series; TR55IX
w/ .060 Gap for 36.54.
What do you guys think? What do you guys use?
#217182 - 01/27/12 06:04 PM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
Richard Candelario Offline
You have a GT, so you did good by getting the iridium plugs. If you were blown or boosted, you'd want to go with a cold plug, but you're not so you don't. I would have bought Delco/Delphi wires, but it's your money and thus your decision.

Be aware that the flashing code MIGHT be a bad coil pack. That happened on my Camaro and had me chasing faults all OVER that freakin car.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#217183 - 01/27/12 06:58 PM Re: I need help!!!!!!! loud ticking or tapping noise [Re: 00 GT - Night Train]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
If it was a coil pack id imagine hed have the other cylinder mis firing as well. Or have p0300 code instead.