Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#217671 - 03/30/12 01:30 PM Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools?
zguy Offline
I just finished replacing struts all the way around plus installed new tires. As it turns out I still have more work to do. One of my lower control arms in the front have a bad bushing plus both front hubs are bad. I also have play in one of my inner tie rods. I just got all the parts from Rock Auto. Damn, that place is great. I ordered yesterday using ground shipping and got them today.

Anyway, I am going to install everything this weekend. What specialty tools do I need? I don't mind renting any tools if it helps make my life easier.

Hubs
- Will this work?
Auto Zone Axle Flange Puller

Inner tie rod
- I am guessing I can remove the outer most boot clip with pliers and break the inner clamp off of the boot. During reassembly I can reuse the outer clip but use a zip tie on the inner part of the boot.
- For the inner tie rod can I use the following?
Autozone Inner Tie Rod Tool

Lower control arms
- What do I need to separate the ball joint? This?
Auto Zone Ball joint separator

I would appreciate any suggestions...
#217679 - 03/30/12 04:31 PM Re: Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools? [Re: zguy]
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
You won't need the axle tool...you will need a large socket to remove the axle nut. Then a big hammer to first break the axle loose from the hub, then to get the hub out of the spindle.

Inner tie rod tool you will need, and it looks like you've got that one covered. If you haven't already, I would go ahead and replace the outer tie rods while you're at it. Moog all the way

You can use that tool for the ball joints, or just use a big hammer. That tool will help make it easier though.

Also, anti seize is your friend here. When I do hubs, I always clean the spindle out best I can, then put a layer of anti seize in there. And on the axle, and hub face. Then next time you need to replace the hub (if you have the car long enough, or to be nice for the next guy) it'll just pop right out. Same for the next time for front brakes, the rotor will pop right off.
#217681 - 03/30/12 07:07 PM Re: Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools? [Re: jjcom]
zguy Offline
Thanks. I already did the tie rod ends previously. Any idea what size the axle bolt is holding the hub on? I have a 36mm but it has a little play in it. I am wondering if it is a 35mm?
#217682 - 03/30/12 07:14 PM Re: Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools? [Re: zguy]
zguy Offline
Oh I forgot to add...

I have a 1/2 impact gun. I know you do not want to use it when you put the new hubs in but is there any reason why I can't use it to remove the axle nut?

Edited by zguy (03/30/12 07:15 PM)
#217683 - 03/30/12 09:28 PM Re: Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools? [Re: zguy]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Nope no issue at all. I cant remember the axle nut size. If i remember Ill look in my tool box tonight when I get home from work.
#217690 - 03/31/12 12:04 AM Re: Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools? [Re: zguy]
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Honestly, you can install the axle nut with it... if you have torque limiters or know what your impact torques to. I have an old electric impact lying around that torques almost anything to around 100-120ftlbs, which is perfect for most lug nuts and axle nuts. It's just like installing lug nuts: an impact is just as bad for them if it torques beyond 100ftlbs. Some people have them set so high I've seen them pull studs through the back of the hub.

As for the axle nut, it is a 35mm, but a 36 will work fine. Done it many times. One of the bolts holding the LCA in is torx on one side (the vertical one). Pretty sure it's a T55.
#217693 - 03/31/12 09:51 AM Re: Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools? [Re: RooK]
zguy Offline
I just realized something... I ordered Dorman control arms. I know it isn't Moog but I thought it was still a decent part. I started searching on the web about Dorman and the comments do not look that positive. Looking back though I do not think it was so smart as I put better quality parts on else where so far. KYB struts and mounts, Michelin MXV4 tires, Moog hubs, Moog inner and outer control arms, and Moog stabilizer links.

Anyway, I have to follow through with the repair since I have everything apart but was wondering what folks had to say about Dorman LCAs. Are they going to hold up?
#217695 - 03/31/12 10:27 PM Re: Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools? [Re: zguy]
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
I haven't had any trouble out the Dorman control arms. They're probably not quite as good as Moog, but Dorman is generally a fairly quality name. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
#217696 - 04/01/12 12:32 AM Re: Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools? [Re: zguy]
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I have 2 sets of Dormans. Sorry I can't give any real longevity replies, my Grand Prix hasn't driven more than 1000 miles in the past year. lol

I have a lifetime warranty on them though, so I'm not really bothered by it.
#217722 - 04/02/12 08:54 PM Re: Replacing hubs, front LCA's and inner tie rods - Specialty tools? [Re: zguy]
zguy Offline
Guys,

I have everything done. Lower LCA's, both front hubs, new front rotors and brakes, outer tie rod end and stabilizer links replaced. I can't get the inner clamp on the driver's side inner control arm off. I can't believe I am stuck on that part after replacing everything else. I am spent at this point. I did not order a new boot and I am afraid to rip it. I am supposed to get the car aligned tomorrow morning too. I am stuck at this point unless I want to pony up the $200 the shop to replace one inner tie rod.

???