Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#218562 - 07/30/12 07:56 AM ABS and traction control light
dirtdriver11 Offline
I got a 99 grand prix gtp. The ABS light and traction control light is on and the cruise control stopped working. I scanned the car and got a few codes, B08896, B0450, B0550, P1571. I went ahead and cleared them to see if they would come back and they did. Could these be the speed sensor in the hub? The last time I cleared these codes off the lights stayed on. I am assuming the cruise control won't work with these lights on? Any suggestions?
#218565 - 07/30/12 07:53 PM Re: ABS and traction control light [Re: dirtdriver11]
Richard Candelario Offline
The B means that the problem is in the Body Control Module. Iirc, the only folks who have the ability to really read the BCM is the dealer$hip.

P1571 Traction Control System PWM Circuit No Frequency

I couldn't find the fault narrative covering those trouble codes, sorry.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#218567 - 07/30/12 11:27 PM Re: ABS and traction control light [Re: dirtdriver11]
dirtdriver11 Offline
Ya, I tried googling the codes but couldn't find anything. Thanks anyways.
#218569 - 07/31/12 05:39 AM Re: ABS and traction control light [Re: dirtdriver11]
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
DTC P1571 Traction Control Torque Request Circuit

Refer to Antilock Brake Sytem Schematic ABS Schematic References

Circuit Description

The traction control system uses the antilock brake system in conjunction with the PCM fuel and ignition controls to limit drive wheel slippage during acceleration. The PCM controlled portion of the traction control system reduces engine torque by any or all of the following methods:

• Retarding spark timing.
• Altering air/fuel ratio.
• Altering boost PWM (VIN 1).
• Shutting OFF up to three injectors.

To determine the amount of torque reduction required, the PCM monitors the TCS Desired Torque PWM signal from the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module (EBTCM). The PCM also provides a TCS Delivered Torque PWM informing the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module (EBTCM) how much torque is being produced by the engine. The Desired Torque display on the scan tool indicates the amount of engine torque requested by the EBTCM. With traction control not active, Desired Torque should vary between 99% and 100%. The Desired Torque display on the scan tool is not the PWM duty cycle.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• Desired torque signal PWM duty cycle is less than 5% or greater than 95%.
• The conditions exists for up to 10 seconds

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The PCM will not illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).
• The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Fail Records data only. This information will not be stored as Freeze Frame data.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
• DTC can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear Info function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed.

Diagnostic Aids

An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation or a wire broken inside the insulation. Check for the following conditions:

• Poor Connection or Damaged Harness.
Inspect PCM harness for an open or short to ground in the desired torque PWM circuit, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal to wire connection, and damaged harness.

• Intermittent Test
Using a scan tool, observe Desired Torque display while moving related connectors and wiring harness. If the failure is induced, the displayed value will change. This may help to isolate the location of the malfunction.

Reviewing the Fail Records vehicle mileage since the diagnostic test last failed may help determine how often the condition that caused the DTC to be set occurs. This may assist in diagnosing the condition.