Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#218951 - 12/17/12 05:16 PM Need help, Car dies after a few minutes of running
Revvo Offline
Hey, I've recently got this issue with my car, I live in Ontario and winter just hit so the issue could be weather related. Early last week my battery light was coming on in the morning but shutting off by the end of the day, then it would stay on whenever I would drive, no matter how long I was driving. The car was acting normal with it on so I didn't think much of it, but then about mid week last week, I had let the car warm up for about 5 minutes before leaving for work, I noticed the radio had shut off by it self,(aftermarket radio) so I tried turning it back on and nothing, at first I figured the cold got to it, so I left for work anyways, as I was leaving the drive way, I noticed all the dash board lights were getting really dim, once I stepped on the gas, the car had barely any power, I kept going figuring I only had a 10 minute drive, about 5 minutes later, I hit a red light and boom, car died. Someone tried helping me boost the car but it didn't work. We eventually pushed the car to the side. Later that day I came back with a booster pack and the car started fine with it, drove it home with no problems. Charged the battery and started it up at home and while it was running, disconnected the positive on the battery to see if the alternator needed to be changed, but the car idled with just the alternator fine. So I replaced the battery with a brand new one and everything was fine up until this morning when the radio died and the lights dimmed out again. I didn't try to go to work with it like that again so I just shut it off. When I got home from work today, I started the car, ran fine for a few minutes, and I noticed right after the radio died this time, there was a whining noise, on and off, from behind the drivers side of the engine up until it eventually died about 3 minutes later.. sorry for the long story, trying to give you as much info about what happened.. any ideas anyone?
#218952 - 12/18/12 07:34 AM Re: Need help, Car dies after a few minutes of running [Re: Revvo]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
The radio turns off and dash lights dim, ABS light probably comes on as well, because they are not getting 12 volts any longer. The car is running off the battery and draining it. Then when it's that low the battery can't provide spark and the car dies.

Boosting it wouldn't work because with a dead battery and a dead alternator there won't be enough power to start it or anything to keep it running.

Anyways, the alternator needs to be replaced/rebuilt and recharge the battery. Hope the battery isn't too old, otherwise 2 drains may have killed it for good.

I want to say it is caused by bad diodes but I don't know for sure what causes them to charge intermittently when they go bad.

Where abouts in Ontario are you? I am in Belleville/Kingston, I could help you out if you're close and need a hand.

Also, my parents Grand Prix had this same issue for about a week last winter. Then the alternator crapped out entirely and left them stranded.
#218954 - 12/18/12 06:55 PM Re: Need help, Car dies after a few minutes of running [Re: Revvo]
Revvo Offline
If its the alternator, wouldn't the car not be able to run just on the alternator? Because I tried it and it ran fine.
#218955 - 12/19/12 08:31 AM Re: Need help, Car dies after a few minutes of running [Re: Revvo]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
The alternator working is intermittent, until it fails for good. The alternator must have been working when you had removed the battery cable.

I am speaking from first hand experience on this same issue as well, it would charge on and off while driving until it didn't start charging anymore.

Next time you have the battery light on and the lights dim, radio off etc, disconnect the battery (or just NEG side) and I bet the car will die.
#218956 - 12/19/12 11:10 AM Re: Need help, Car dies after a few minutes of running [Re: Revvo]
Revvo Offline
Ok, thanks for the help, and I live near Ottawa but ive got a friend who can help me, also bought myself a 97 gtp awhile back so I'll switch the alternators and see what happens.
#218957 - 12/19/12 04:12 PM Re: Need help, Car dies after a few minutes of running [Re: Revvo]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
97 alternator won't fit 99+ if that's what you have. They have different cases so it physically won't even bolt up.
#218958 - 12/20/12 10:48 AM Re: Need help, Car dies after a few minutes of running [Re: Revvo]
Revvo Offline
Oh ok, that's good to know. Thanks