Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#219052 - 03/23/13 06:12 PM Repalce Sway Bar
keith66 Offline
Hello, I have a 1997 GTP and will buy the Doorman Swaybar for 70..Is there any instructions anyplace for GP? I just watch a video for another GM and he said for GP you will have to move the motor? Im thinking from reading on here its pretty easy, just need a few jacks.
thanks for help in advanced!
#219053 - 03/23/13 10:59 PM Re: Repalce Sway Bar [Re: keith66]
7475ih Offline
Loc: ohio
Support the car so that you can drop the rear of the subframe 3 inches, remove rear two bolts only on sub frame and using a jack to lower it. I've seen some I had to remove the tie rod to gain clearance but it will snake out of there.

Edited by 7475ih (03/30/13 08:43 PM)
#219054 - 03/24/13 09:41 AM Re: Repalce Sway Bar [Re: keith66]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
You don't need to unbolt or lower the subframe at all.

Jack up car and remove front wheels

Unbolt the end links from the control arm. The bolts will likely snap if they are rusted.

Unbolt the 2 bolts on each bracket holding the sway bar to the subframe and remove the brackets and bushings.

Then it's just wiggling it out, turning it whatnot til it comes out. It helps if you have another person on the other side helping cause it can get stuck and wedged between things. It also really helps when re-installing the new one.

Re-install in reverse order. It can be a pain to get them out but it's not difficult, nor do you need to lower the subframe.
#219055 - 03/24/13 11:17 AM Re: Repalce Sway Bar [Re: keith66]
keith66 Offline
Are the 97 -03 all pretty much the same? What about when you tighten back up? Is there a sequence that needs to be done? Is a wheel alignment needed after? Thanks for all help in advanced!
#219056 - 03/24/13 12:36 PM Re: Repalce Sway Bar [Re: keith66]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yes, the sway bars are all the same through the years. There are solid and hollow aftermarket versions but whatever you get will work just fine.

When you tighten it back up I find it is helpful to spray the inside of the midpoint bushings with WD40 before slipping them over the bar so you can move the sway bar side to side to align it. Also spray the outside of the bushing after it's on to help slide the bracket over the bushing.

Then start all the bolts but don't tighten them down yet. Tighten the endlinks down first on both sides and make sure the bar is centered, then tighten the midpoint bushings.

If you tighten the midpoint bushings first it makes it hard to align the endlinks and tighten them if the bar is not centered.

No alignment is needed afterwards no. I would check for loose balljoints, front control arm bushings, tie rods, wheel bearings and strut mounts while you have it jacked up though. If any of those are bad, an alignment is needed after you replace those parts.
#219061 - 03/30/13 03:01 PM Re: Repalce Sway Bar [Re: keith66]
keith66 Offline
Ok i have the Doorman bar on, but it is over the tie rod end on the passenger side, under on drivers side. The drivers side is ok. I have read that some people said you to remove it on passenger side. First is it possible to take the tie rod off but just taking the cotter pin out and unbolting on bottom? or do I need a special tool...Thanks for your help in advanced..I really feel there is not way to get this on with out unbolting one of the tie rod ends, which I have never done..Plus will I need a wheel alignment after?
#219062 - 03/30/13 06:24 PM Re: Repalce Sway Bar [Re: keith66]
keith66 Offline
Im all set, went and bought pitchfork, and remove Tierod, and put sway bar into place,,,overall a pain, but prob, saved $200...tomorrow I will tighten down. I dont forsee any problems..boy did i just jinx myself...