Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#219197 - 06/29/14 08:24 PM Repalcing Condenser
keith66 Offline
Ok, its too hot this summer not to have AC. Is there any step by step instruction (hopefully with pics) to replace the Condenser. I had the compressor replaced about 3 years ago, and then i was told the condesener was bad. Do you need to take off radiator, or can I pull it out the front. It looks kinda of tight up there. Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks All.
#219198 - 06/30/14 09:18 PM Re: Repalcing Condenser [Re: keith66]
Richard Candelario Offline
I think I'd try to fiddle around with the radiator for a while. I've never had this issue before.

I want to warn you that this site is a ghost town. You might see a poster or two, but there's like NO one here anymore.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#219199 - 07/01/14 03:07 PM Re: Repalcing Condenser [Re: keith66]
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Here ya go:

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Remove the engine air cleaner.
Recover the refrigerant. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging . See: Service and Repair
Remove the radiator.

Remove the liquid line nut from the condenser.

Position the liquid line aside from the condenser.

Remove the compressor hose nut (1) from the condenser.

Position the compressor hose aside from the condenser.

Remove the condenser.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Install the condenser. IMPORTANT: Lubricate the new O-ring seals with mineral base 525 viscosity refrigerant oil.

Install the new O-ring seals onto the compressor line and the liquid line.
Install the compressor hose to the condenser. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Install the compressor hose nut to the condenser. Tighten Tighten the compressor hose nut to 16 N.m (12 lb ft) .

Install the liquid line to the condenser.

Install the liquid line nut (1) to the condenser. Tighten Tighten the liquid line nut to 27 N.m (20 lb ft) .
Install the radiator.
Evacuate and recharge the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging . See: Service and Repair
Leak test the A/C system. Refer to Leak Testing .
Install the engine air cleaner.
#219200 - 07/02/14 07:00 PM Re: Repalcing Condenser [Re: keith66]
keith66 Offline
Thansk Black Arrow! I am worried worried since I have to remove my radiator, that I will need to replace that too, since it is 18 y.o.! Any advice?
#219201 - 07/03/14 04:42 PM Re: Repalcing Condenser [Re: keith66]
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
You're welcome! My advice: Check the bleeder screw on the t-stat housing, make sure it's not stuck shut. New ones are available from Rock Auto or your local parts store: Dorman Part # 902112 (pk of 2)

To drain the radiator, just take off the lower radiator hose. Don't bother with the drain valve, they usually break anyway.

To refill the cooling system, I always remove the t-stat housing and t-stat, and pour the coolant/distilled water mix into the lower intake manifold. That way, it refills the radiator at the same time, and helps keep air pockets out of the cooling system.

Hopefully your radiator is ok, but at this point it wouldn't hurt to replace it if you have the cash. You'll need to make that call once it's out.
#219202 - 09/01/14 09:26 PM Re: Repalcing Condenser [Re: keith66]
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
it's great to come here and still see blackarrow posting his diagrams which do help a ton and see some other posters posting.

Make sure you change your orifice tube also when you replace the condenser. If you haven't changed the drier/accumulator when you had the a/c compressor changed, you probably want to change that out also. That way you pretty much have a brand new system and want be putting trash into the other components.

You can just change the condenser but depending on the price, you might want to just do it all if you are doing it yourself. Also, make sure you vacuum the system down to check for leaks before adding freon. Check or replace your o-rings also so you know they are good when putting the connectors back together.

If doing it yourself, you'll probably need to go to your parts store and pick up a set of disconnect tools so you can pop the lines off where they connect.

Never changed this stuff on a car but been doing it on my uncles drumptrucks which is the same thing, just more room to work in.
dhp 1.0