Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#219229 - 05/29/16 10:28 PM a/c problems
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
Got the radiator and water pump issues straighten out and then replaced the tire rod ends and the car is doing good the little we drive it, but now it has a/c problems.

It has always leaked some Freon out slowly over the last years but when we finally got it fixed, it had no Freon in it so I put the machine on it. The car had none so I vacuumed it down and it passed the test so I charged it and it was blowing cold. 2 weeks later and we decided to drive it and I'm assuming the Freon is gone since it is not blowing cold and the a/c compressor is not kicking in. It seems like the leak has just got worse and now isn't going to make it through the summer without having to recharge it.

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas on where it could be leaking and could it be the evaporator core and if so, is that hard to change. Is there a write-up available for that task? If there is, I'm sure Blackarrow will come through.

I've used a leak detector in the past but just haven't got anything to trigger the detector on the outside. I also don't see any signs of oil other than the compressor is oily and that could just be from the car itself.

Don't know and was hoping to get some insight on my problem and see if anybody is still around here. smile
dhp 1.0
#219236 - 10/20/16 07:05 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
Richard Candelario Offline
I had lost this site altogether for a few months recently, thanks to Duff for telling me it's back up.

I would urge towards all the lines and fittings first. honestly, I've never truly figured out the weak points of my system. it's still cold enough...but it's certainly needing a total replacement. sorry I can't be more help.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#219239 - 10/25/16 10:15 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash Offline
yay, a response, lol!!!

I'm not really sure where the leaks, I've tried using a sniffer to see and I think that it might be the compressor but not 100%. I guess the evaporator is inside so it could be that but never detected anything when I shoved it up in the dash but that isn't the evaporator either.

I put some in it a few weeks ago and never had the chance to check it to see if it lasted.

Might could use a blacklight since the oil I put in the system does have dye in it so that might help me also?

Getting winter time anyways so might be a good time to sell it if I can get it working a little bit!
dhp 1.0
#219240 - 10/27/16 09:13 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
I'd use that blacklight, for sure. I'm not quite sure where the evaporator is. A/C is one of the black magic voodoo items I won't mess with. That, tranny, and paint & body. nope nope nope. I sure do wish some of our resident experts were still around, that mysterious masked arrow would surely have you fixed in about 20 minutes and a couple of beers.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#219241 - 11/04/16 02:41 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
FordMan77 Offline
Loc: St. Louis
Check the shrader valves. I had my low side leaking and had to replace it.

The Evap coil is crammed in the dash, just follow where the hard lines pop up near the brake booster and there you are.

If you are going to go through the hassle of replacing that, then I'd do all new lines from the compressor back, new accumulator/drier, condenser and orifice tube so you know everything is good. I went through this on my 00 GT and it ended up just being a clogged orifice tube, which sucks since you have to remove the ABS/master and brake booster off the firewall to get to the stupid thing, lol..

Thought mine was always low too but what was really going on is when it would get warm, I'd top it off. Little by little this overcharge the system, which even if the orifice tube wasn't clogged it would have the same effect. Once the blockage was removed and I refilled it with the proper charge it's cold again.

And yea, I hate A/C issues. With a passion.
#219242 - 11/04/16 04:36 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
That much for a simple runoff tube? It's almost like the engineers WANT the repairers to hate them.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#219244 - 12/04/16 10:21 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash Offline
Yeah, I appreciate the info, just don't have time to mess with the car much with work and the farm. I did check it a the other day when I replaced a tire that was leaking and after recharging it, all the Freon had gone somewhere?

Really need to find me a cheap blacklight somewhere but I'm going to try some stopleak and see what happens!
dhp 1.0
#219245 - 12/21/16 09:20 AM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
That sucks. I really wish I had ideas for ya. What kind of farm are you on?

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#219246 - 12/22/16 08:07 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash Offline
We just have a some land, couple hundred acres in the country, grandpa, dad and another guy went together in the 60's and then the 3rd sold his to my grandpa. After he passed the land was given to my dad and his two sisters. The land is all basically one piece and we keep it up even though it isn't all in our name.

We have about 70 cows on it, about 10 llamas, 10 or so goats and 6 sheep I think over there. Just keep busy because I don't have as much time to work on stuff there since I don't get off until late from my job.
dhp 1.0
#219247 - 12/24/16 10:45 AM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
A couple hundred acres and all of that livestock? That would be a lot of work, even if you had nothing else going on. My father-in-law works on a cattle farm in the middle-of-no-f*-where Texas; he taught me just how exhausting farms can be.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#219251 - 03/30/17 08:19 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Hey there snowcrash,

If you do decide to tackle the evaporator core, here's a write up (of sorts) that may help you: http://www.justanswer.com/pontiac/21vxe-remove-a-c-evaporator-pontiac-grand-prix-1999.html

No pics, but it has an "ask the mechanic" feature if you need more detailed info. Hope that helps, and best of luck to ya!
#219264 - 02/02/18 03:17 AM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
Glover Offline
Have you ever figured it out your a/c issue?
#219265 - 02/02/18 07:07 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
Glover, are you having a/c issues, also?

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#219266 - 02/05/18 02:57 AM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
Glover Offline
Hey Richard. We are looking at a 2003 Grand Prix and the owner mentioned about the A/C acting up.
#219273 - 02/09/18 07:52 PM Re: a/c problems [Re: snowcrash]
and that's all they told ya, huh?

98 L36/MM5
RaC
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >