Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22024 - 06/08/07 07:07 PM hood dilema
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I'm just about ready to go for my ram air hood but I am having some issues deciding. I know my first choice is the WS6 hood from ASCD...but I talked to the owner a couple weeks ago and he informed me that he had just taken repossesion of the shop. It seems that he had handed over the business to one of his long time employees only to have him run things afoul. He said it would take him about a month to get things up and running once again as they should be.
I also checked with my local body shop and he is a guy I trust since he has tons of experience with Corvettes so I'm confident of his fiberglass skills. He gave me a ballpark quote of about $350 to paint and install the hood provided it only needed minor blocking and sanding...if it requires major work it could go as high as $500...there is also the issue of shipping. ASCD is in Maryville TN and could get there in about 6 hours which would give me a chance to see the hood first hand before taking delivery. If I have it shipped it has to go straight to the body shop or the shipping charge is $80 higher.
I have considered the PFYC 4 vent as an alternative as it is about $40 cheaper and I havent heard anyone complaining about their quality. (dont anyone take this personal) but they seem to be everywhere...nothing wrong with popular and I'm sure not saying they look bad...I guess I'm in the same place as I was with the rear spoiler. I wanted something different but had to settle for whats out there...plus from a practicality standpoint I could do a lot of other mods for over $1000 (ie...powerlog,L26 intake,struts/springs, tranny cooler...I hate to say it but those Lund fake scoops dent my wallet a lot less...I welcome your input on this subject cuz I realize that I'm getting frustrated.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#22025 - 06/08/07 07:14 PM Re: hood dilema
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I've got this crazy thought that's been going through my head since I took my hood off. There are GTX-like hood scoops (vents?) you can buy, but I've lost the vendor at the moment. Anyway, cut two holes in your hood, have them riveted/fiberglassed in and a coat of paint. Might not cost as much as full hood, cheap shipping, and you have a custom look.
#22026 - 06/08/07 07:49 PM Re: hood dilema
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
which hood is that? any links pics?
#22027 - 06/08/07 08:10 PM Re: hood dilema
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I like both of those hoods!
The 4 vent (SD hood, right?) is my fav.
About your comment of them being too popular.... I've only seen one in person once in my life. Can't really consider the internet being flooded with them as an effect, in my view.
I saw just the hood scoops somewhere recently but I can't remember where. Maybe cgp classifieds.
Go for it though!
#22028 - 06/08/07 08:58 PM Re: hood dilema
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
x2 with zuul. I have never seen a GP with that hood in person.

I only say do it if the WS6 hood doesn't work out, because if you decide not to get it and go with the SD, you will probably think, "Man, I wish I would've gone with that WS6," and then you won't be happy with it. So do what you can to get that WS6 hood, but if it doesn't work out, then that SD hood would look sweeeet too.
#22029 - 06/08/07 09:54 PM Re: hood dilema
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I hear ya TBat. Hoods really make these cars look badass. Unfortunately I haven't been able to afford one yet. I keep finding power adders that I want instead.
#22030 - 06/08/07 09:54 PM Re: hood dilema
ThunderBat Offline
if I get the SD 4 vent then Redgie the Wedgie is gonna send me a nasty PM about doin the copycat thing...SD spoiler, Bullitts and now this...I may be in deep Bat-Guano shocked blush

#22031 - 06/08/07 10:15 PM Re: hood dilema
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
There are 4 cars in the PDX Club with the SD Hood.... 2 CF and 2 Fiber Glass.......

Any after market hood will require fitting. It's just a matter of aligning it, but it just seems like it never gets perfect, and I've spent a lot of time trying. Some are worse than others from what I hear.... The SD's I've worked on were OK, but not perfect.
They all come ready to paint... I've never heard of a hood needing any more than a scuffing in order to paint. Make sure the shop has intentions of painting both sides if you want it to look good with the hood up.

http://pdxcgp.com
#22032 - 06/08/07 11:09 PM Re: hood dilema
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
I've seen two GP's with the SD hood in my town alone. In the entire local club, I would venture to guess there are 7-8 of them. Go for the F.1 hood! It looks great and not as many people have them!

'97 SE with alot of mods
#22033 - 06/09/07 12:26 AM Re: hood dilema
ThunderBat Offline
whats up with the double post thing (glitch) confused ...I do like the F1 hood but its even more expensive than the Ws6 so I dont think thats gonna fly...I'm with UMfan on the fact that there are lots of other functional mods I feel like the car needs more than a hood. I was surfing online here at work tonite and found a site that offers the Dodge Rumble Bee truck hood scoop in a bolt-on...for $189 unpainted that dont sound bad...dimensions were like 27 wide at the back, 21 wide in front, 31 long and 2 high...I'll have to break out my tape measure when I get home this morning...this might have possibilities.

If the truck model is too big they also offer the hemi charger hood scoop as well.

#22034 - 06/09/07 12:31 AM Re: hood dilema
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
I was surfing online here at work tonite and found a site that offers the Dodge Rumble Bee truck hood scoop in a bolt-on...for $189 unpainted that dont sound bad...dimensions were like 27 wide at the back, 21 wide in front, 31 long and 2 high...I'll have to break out my tape measure when I get home this morning...this might have possibilities.
Paintshop it if you can. I'm open to alternatives as well. smile
#22035 - 06/09/07 01:37 AM Re: hood dilema
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
whats up with the double post thing (glitch) confused ...I do like the F1 hood but its even more expensive than the Ws6 so I dont think thats gonna fly...I'm with UMfan on the fact that there are lots of other functional mods I feel like the car needs more than a hood. I was surfing online here at work tonite and found a site that offers the Dodge Rumble Bee truck hood scoop in a bolt-on...for $189 unpainted that dont sound bad...dimensions were like 27 wide at the back, 21 wide in front, 31 long and 2 high...I'll have to break out my tape measure when I get home this morning...this might have possibilities.

If the truck model is too big they also offer the hemi charger hood scoop as well.
I'm curious how the hemi charger scoop would look on a GP.
#22036 - 06/09/07 01:44 AM Re: hood dilema
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
get a air grabber hood scoop that you can open and close at the flip of a switch lol
#22037 - 06/09/07 01:51 AM Re: hood dilema
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
T-bat hows your body shop skills? There are plenty of good scoops that can be fitted to your stock hood http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250123325018&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015.Chico.
#22038 - 06/09/07 02:45 AM Re: hood dilema
ThunderBat Offline
I had looked at those and considered them as well...but my body shop skills arent good enough to install and make it look clean...black paint is very unforgiving like that.
I will do a little PaintShop and post up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >