Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22340 - 01/09/09 01:45 AM Re: harsh vibration is back
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Know how you feel T Bat. I finally gave up, ended up with a Bonnieville GXP. Comes with a lovely noerthstar V8, all the toys and a 3 year warranty....What really kicked me in the groin is the complete lack of interest in the GP.....I did sell the CF hood, spoiler and GXP seats....Since then Ive tried to sell the car....not a single call....and its not as if Im asking an outrageous amount...maybe its the time of year...I was weary of the constant breakdowns..I love pontiacs and so far the bonnie has delivered nothing but a huge smile on my face, however when the warranty runs out....Im thinkin Ill be back in the market...in spite of it all...when I walk by the GP seein her sittin covered in the barn...it still strikes me as a pretty darn good looking ride...
#22341 - 01/09/09 01:18 PM Re: harsh vibration is back
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I know I do a lot of griping about the car when it breaks but when I finally get it fixed it feels like wound has been healed. (it also makes a good excuse to mod further lol )

When I look at the car after I've cleaned it up it strikes me as just hawt...if I ever lose that "romance" with the car I'm sure it will be gone soon after.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#22342 - 01/09/09 01:46 PM Re: harsh vibration is back
20gtp02 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
What wheels are you riding on now? ones in sig still?

#22343 - 01/09/09 03:03 PM Re: harsh vibration is back
ThunderBat Offline
yup...no wheel change as of yet. I'm gonna have to get up under the car and check these control arms. I drove the car over to Richmond last night and couple times coming up to stoplights I got a pull to the left once or twice. Accelerating turning to the right vibrates less than going left or straight. Hi-way cruise is smooth and hard braking has no pulling at all...even with your hands off the wheel. confused

I found some control arm units on eBay that have new bushings and ball joints for $198 (for both sides)

In reference to crimpton's post, I have considered the solid rubber mounts from ZZP but I dont know if it will transmit more vibration than wht I'm trying to get rid of now. My sense is I need to get this problem sorted out...if it turns out that the replacement mounts I installed are allowing too much movement then I'll install the solid rubber mounts.

#22344 - 01/25/09 09:17 AM Re: harsh vibration is back
rocketman Offline
Loc: Rockledge, Florida
I'm starting to get a lot of front end vibration in my '98 GT as well (nearly 200k miles). In my case, it also happens when the car is in park, so I'm looking at replacing the dogbones and trans mount (engine mount already recently replaced).

I have original suspension, so shocks/struts, etc are not far behind I guess.

This car has been one of the best ones I've ever owned from a low maintenance/repair perspective - especially as a daily driver.
#22345 - 02/02/09 11:52 PM Re: harsh vibration is back
ThunderBat Offline
I'm pretty sure the lower control arm bushings are the source of my vibration ills. The more reading I have done on the subject the more the symptoms sound like what I'm getting. W-body store write up says bushings worn badly enough can result in torn CV joint boots, and I dont need to screw up the new axles I just had installed this past summer. So it looks like new lower control arms before I go swapping wheels...and maybe some Monroe quik struts as well.

#22346 - 02/03/09 05:26 AM Re: harsh vibration is back
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
I agree your lower control arms should be your next move ,I've seen them on e-bay for about $85 ea.,other than that I would look for an old school alignment shop to try and diagnose your problem.Chico(pops)