Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#23160 - 12/05/08 02:34 PM Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
Keith Herrington Offline
Loc: Severna Park, MD
Earlier this year I bought a used 2000 GTP Coupe (red of course with a tan interior) in really nice cosmetic shape. Even with 100K on the clock it seemed in OK mechanical shape, especially the motor. Soon thereafter I had to replace the trans and that started me on a modification kick. Since buying it I've concentrated on the suspension mostly since the stock motor is very, very potent for a 6 cylinder, especially when working through a good tranny. I kept my stock springs, installed KYB AGX struts, 12" StopTech front rotors with Hawk full ceramic pads, Stoptech rear rotors with ceramic pads, new powder coated NHT calipers, Addco front and rear sway bars, GMPP trailing arms and new mounting plates, front GMPP tower brace and to top it off, a Corsa cat back system. Since that time (12K miles so far) I've reached the following conclusions:

1. Exhaust. If noise is an issue at all Corsa is the way to go. All other systems are far louder than Corsa, especially in the area of resonance. I originally installed an SLP cat back system with a large resonator. I was not happy at all with how the car sounded inside. Outside...fantastic. Inside...ugh.
2. Brakes. The brakes are the best I've ever had on any car bar none!!! The combination of upgrading to a 12" front rotor, StopTech rotors and Hawk ceramic pads is a complete success. I'd recommend it to anyone.
3. Sway Bars. Started by finding out the ends of my stock bar were rusting through and breaking. Had an older model Addco front bar, but it would not fit. I contacted them and at no charge they sent me a new front bar. Fit perfectly. The rear however is a different story. The bar fits well enough but does not have the same shape as the stock sway bar and comes VERY close to the Y-bend of the Corsa. Had to jury-rig an exhaust mount to prevent them from coming into contact. It works but I hate to jury rigging anything. The most frustrating thing was trying to get the cooperation of other sway bar manufacturers in determining which bars may fit better. They just didn't seem very interested in helping.
4. Struts. This is the real reason for this email. I use my car to commute daily 40 miles one way from Severna Park, MD to the Pentagon. The roads in the DC area are some of the roughest I've ever driven on. The KYB AGX shocks are NOT the right choice and although I've only got 12K on them I want to go back to a more compliant strut. However, I want the best quality, most long wearing strut I can find. What do you guys (and gals) recommend? Should I go with all new stock GM replacement struts? Should I go to non-adjustable KYB? Gabriel? Monroe? Koni? I'm not going for low price but instead the best quality and performance. What do you recommend?
#23161 - 12/05/08 02:46 PM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
Richard Candelario Offline
I personally appreciate the KYB GR-2/Excel-Gs myself, but why not soften the rife on the AGXs?

I have tried Gabriel struts/shocks, and would scream at you to stay away from them. I, personally, was not at all impressed.

Red car FTMFW!!!

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#23162 - 12/05/08 03:14 PM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
red=cursed
#23163 - 12/05/08 03:38 PM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
The Guz Offline
Loc: Lawndale, CA
Have you tried running the AGX's on the softest setting? The GR2's are nice for a non lowered car.
#23164 - 12/05/08 04:27 PM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
jaybur Offline
Loc: Ashland Oregon
I just received 4 struts today, I bought the monroe quick struts, which have new springs, struts, bearing mounts, everything new.

I have a feeling that with 160k miles on my car, the springs are not as good as they could be.

and all of my struts are trashed. so for the price, I can't argue.

I will be putting them on in the next few days so I can tell you how I like them.

some people have said monroes are trash, or too soft, but having NEW springs and struts in my car should bea night and day difference.

I almost pulled the trigger on the agx struts. But once I factored in the bearings and mounts, plus the fee to have the springs removed off the old struts and installed on the new, I just decided to go this route.

1994 Honda civic CX hatchback (BIG MPG) STAYING STOCK
*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#23165 - 12/05/08 04:50 PM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
I REALLY enjoy my GR-2s and OE springs. Real tight, but still soft enough to lull my kids to sleep. I'm lovin it!

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#23166 - 12/05/08 06:10 PM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I've been more then happy with my OE springs and GR2s.
#23167 - 12/05/08 10:02 PM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
KYBs and oem springs here too.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#23168 - 12/12/08 07:15 AM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
Keith Herrington Offline
By the way, thanks for all your input. I found it very helpful. Since we last talked my problem has been resolved. It was a bad strut on the right rear. I just had it replaced with a new AGX strut, set all four on numero uno and the car drives brilliantly!!! Not harsh (except over really obnoxious bumps) and very controlled. I'll even get my bad strut exchanged for a good one by the seller. What's not to like?
#23169 - 12/12/08 09:22 AM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
awesome!!! thanks for the resolution! So, what were the symptoms again? Just a harsh ride, or was the vehicle swaying, or...

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#23170 - 12/19/08 02:48 PM Re: Need your input on resolving a suspension problem
Keith Herrington Offline
The symptoms were a combination of a rough ride, as if the rear had no rebound dampning and a sharp thumping sound. Hit a sharp bump and the rear wheels, primarily the right rear would thump when the tire impacted the road surface. As my wife said when she rode back there, "It sounds like you bottoming out the suspension."