Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#23704 - 08/23/02 11:59 AM GTP Fires related to supercharger
GTPMedic Offline
Loc: Sudbury, Ontario
Anyone ever hear of causes for fires in GTP's. I talked to a few guys who do the salvage auction thing and they noticed quite a few GTP's in their past dealings and lots had under hood fires caused by the supercharger seizing up. Just curious. I still haven't been told the cause of my fire. I will post it when I got it. If I new how to post pics I would post my severely ( and I mean severely ) burnt up GTP.
#23705 - 08/23/02 10:56 PM Re: GTP Fires related to supercharger
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Ugh, I think I'll check my SC oil this weekend. I haven't heard of this, but, my only link to the automotive world is the dealer, and this list.

http://pdxcgp.com
#23706 - 08/25/02 10:33 AM Re: GTP Fires related to supercharger
Joe35 Offline
Loc: New Jersey
I don't know if the fires are related to the supercharger but the NHTSA has four Grand Prix (1996+) engine compartment fires that are being investigated. Someone on another site posted that:

"NHTSA also opened an investigation last month into several General Motors cars with 3.8-liter engines after receiving 44 reports of fire in the engine compartment. No injuries or accidents were reported. The investigation involves 1996-2000 models of the Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue and Regal; Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Prix; Oldsmobile 88; and Chevrolet Impala. NHTSA has not determined how many of the cars are on the road."

I don't know when "last month" was but some of these cars are not available with superchargers.

(The moral of the story: If you have a safety related problem report it to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA Safety Problems and Issues or call 1-888-DASH-2-DOT)

Joe35