Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24223 - 11/20/08 12:00 PM Balancing Shaft
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
For those of you who have removed it, whats the benefits? I'm debating to keep mine out when I finish the top end here soon. How do you plug the holes? Did you use freeze plugs?

Also, I'm thinking of going with a double roller chain. Recommendations?
#24224 - 11/20/08 12:42 PM Re: Balancing Shaft
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Why are you going with a double roller? Going with a cam?

I left my balance shaft, I'm pretty sure you can just remove the gear and leave the shaft in there if you're looking for more HP.
#24225 - 11/20/08 12:49 PM Re: Balancing Shaft
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I am doing a "top swap" on my second L36 block...

So far I've had the crank turned and balanced, Block Machined and board, XP cam, and new pistons\rings...

I found a shop that has machined and rebuilt L67 heads for about $350 (I'm going to have the 105# springs put on them), That's my next big purchase. I was just wondering if I should go with a double roller under these applications...

Basically I'm building this engine as "new", so I don't want to skimp on parts anywhere.

I am saving for a ZZP tranny come next tax season. (assuming mine will last that long... I will just baby the peddle until then wink )
#24226 - 11/20/08 01:04 PM Re: Balancing Shaft
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
With an XP and 105's, yes. Double roller is completely necessary. You will need to get the oil pump cover milled, ZZP, Farns, and PRJ sell those. As for the brand of double roller, neither of them are "good". You will more than likely need to get the crank sprocket re-chamfered.

As for the balance shaft, It looks like you wanna go all out, so go ahead and remove it. There is a cam bearing out of an old Dodge motor (440? maybe?), I think. And you can plug the hole with it.