Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24364 - 08/25/04 08:17 PM Trunk light problem
RM Offline
Loc: CA
Hi there! The trunk light in my husband's 2002 Grand Prix is not working. It originally just flickered a bit and was inconsistently working, but now it just doesn't light. Bulb is not blown out. We also made sure it's securely in the socket and, although I didn't specifically check it, I doubt it's a blown fuse as there is nothing else failing (and I don't think they would ever put just one trunk light on a single fuse).

Well, the car is at the dealership for other work and they tell me the problem is the lock for the trunk. Um, well, I asked for more details because that sounds pretty bogus. They tell me there is a mercury switch inside the trunk lock mechanism that controls the light switch and the whole trunk lock must be replaced. Now, a mercury switch I can believe, but *inside* the lock mechanism? And it will cost $200+ to repair. I'm currently searching the internet for more information (and considering buying a Chilton's guide just because of this issue).

Anybody have any info on this trunk light subject? Thanks for any help!
#24365 - 08/25/04 08:25 PM Re: Trunk light problem
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
How do you know the bulb is not bad? Did you change it?

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#24366 - 08/26/04 12:29 PM Re: Trunk light problem
RM Offline
I appreciate the need to confirm the obvious (which is often overlooked), but yes, we did change the bulb even though the bulb in there showed no evidence of being blown (the wire was intact).

I'm more interested in knowing where the switch mechanism is at this point. The more I consider this the less likely I am to believe even the concept of a mercury switch in use to turn on a trunk light. There's just too much vibration in a car for a mercury switch to make any sense at all.

If they had told me the issue was a wiring problem and it would cost $250, I would believe them and maybe even consider saying, "yeah, fix it" (probably not... a trunk light isn't worth $250 to me right now). But this thing they are telling me sounds bogus and I want to know for sure because, if so, I'll go pick up the car and take it elsewhere... seeing as the reason it is currently there is for a totally different problem which they are not having much luck diagnosing and which I think should be relatively simple. See my comments at end of the thread at http://www.grandprix.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001779#000000

So if anyone has a repair manual handy and wouldn't mind looking up the location of the trunk lid switch, I would very much appreciate it.
#24367 - 08/26/04 06:51 PM Re: Trunk light problem
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Ok heres the deal on the trunk light switch. There is a micro switch attached to the rear of the trunk latch.

So what I figuere is you can either buy a new latch or.. goto a junkyard and take one off of a wrecked car.
#24368 - 08/26/04 07:06 PM Re: Trunk light problem
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by RM:
I appreciate the need to confirm the obvious (which is often overlooked), but yes, we did change the bulb.
Just making sure.
cheers

...and I agree with Herc, try a junk yard.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#24369 - 08/26/04 07:08 PM Re: Trunk light problem
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Just get the switch not the whole latch only one torx screw holds it on.
#24370 - 08/26/04 07:17 PM Re: Trunk light problem
RM Offline
Hey Hercman! You're a godsend! Thanks for taking the time to do that for me. I hadn't heard from the dealership at all today and so on my way back from a client site I stopped in, but I dropped by the parts desk first. I asked the guy at the counter for a part number and price for the trunk light switch for a 2002 GP. Didn't give him any details beyond that. He was very helpful and even turned the computer monitor for me to look at the exploded diagram on his screen. Sure 'nuff! Same switch on the latch you are pointing to in the pic above. Apparently it's a $17 part. And they have it in stock. Based on your pic, it looks like a torx head screw holding it on there. I suppose I know what I'm doing Saturday now...

Of course there's still the wheel bearing to deal with (the car's *big* problem that prompted the dealership visit anyway). :-( They finally figured that one out. Took them 2 days he said and several test drives. Oy! And quoted me $800 for the job. I told 'em to button the car all up, I'll pay them for the oil change they did, and I'll take care of the wheel bearing issue elsewhere and the trunk light myself... and the glove box.... but that's another story.
#24371 - 08/26/04 07:30 PM Re: Trunk light problem
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Have fun.