Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24847 - 03/21/08 05:34 PM Re: vibration still here
20gtp02 Offline
Where you going?
And what makes the ride of the lowered gps so bad? I don't get it.
Changes the angle of drivetrain stuff and all, or what?

#24848 - 03/22/08 09:59 AM Re: vibration still here
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
He's heading to NY to the autoshow. Lowering any car requires stiffer springs. It also changes the angle of the driveshafts which changes the angle the cv joints operate at and when you put a bigger angle in em the tend to vibrate a little more. That's why people put shorter dogbones on because it changes the angle of the cv joints.

Stiffer springs means the car won't absorb those seams in the highway. And can wear on an old body after awhile.
#24849 - 03/26/08 02:40 AM Re: vibration still here
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Actually the trip each year is to Connecticut to visit my wifes relatives. They dont bother trying to get together at Christmas or Thanksgiving cuz the weather usually is too bad for traveling.

I get the lucky benefit that the NYC auto show is always the week of Easter so we stop off in Manhattan on the way back Monday.

I'm afraid I must report bad news though, I got about 20 miles south of Fredricksburg and the vibration returned just as bad as it was before. Being quite angry and frustrated I had to turn around and limp back home (another hour plus)
I'm assuming the axles are bad. I told my shop guy last friday morning I thought things were better and he told me "if it aint broke, dont mess with it"...and I thought so as well until I had to turn around.
I'm almost surprised BlackArrow hadnt already posted about our "mini meet" with me showing up in my Sebring convertible. lol I'll post on that later.
I hate to admit I'm back in that uncomfortable place of being angry with my car. This would be the first time one of my Bat machines has let me down. Granted, it could have been much worse. It could have puked on the roadside and left us to the mercy of AAA to all hours of the night. I guess it must have been something in the air this weekend...especially since my wifes Olympus camera that I was given to take to the car show died shortly after I got off the ferry...so much for car show pics...I'll try to make up for that with links and colorful commentary. Maybe I'll get time for that this weekend if I'm not changing out axles...arrrgh.
One tidbit of info concerning the show...I was very pleased to see Dodge show three seperate versions of the new Challenger. SRT8, R/T and a V6 powered SE, which still looks to be a nicely equipped car...fog lights, scooped hood and 18in wheels were all still on this entry level model...very curious to see the price. they admit it will be higher than the mustang but by how much no one would say.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#24850 - 03/26/08 09:26 AM Re: vibration still here
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
banghead

At least it was kind enough to get you back home...

*starts thinking about other possible causes of vibration*

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#24851 - 03/26/08 09:44 AM Re: vibration still here
20gtp02 Offline
Wow 2:40 am, The bat was prowling late!

#24852 - 03/26/08 10:37 AM Re: vibration still here
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:

I'm almost surprised BlackArrow hadnt already posted about our "mini meet" with me showing up in my Sebring convertible. lol I'll post on that later.
Well, I didn't want to "steal your thunder" so to speak, and if you had brought your GP, I might've been tempted... laugh wink
#24853 - 03/26/08 10:47 AM Re: vibration still here
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Its gotta be the axles. I have been going over in my head what it could be. I feel like since you have cover all of the basics that might just be your problem.

Unless you bent a rim or something... but its highly unlikely
#24854 - 03/26/08 01:44 PM Re: vibration still here
ThunderBat Offline
yeah prowling late is my thing...we usually leave late on friday night and drive overnight to CT...its nice to cruise around the DC beltway with almost no traffic and hit the Jersey turnpike with it as desolate as the salt flats (and almost as fast lol )...but the best part is zooming right by NYC before the sun comes up with gridlock. I'm most always rolling the CT countryside by sunrise on Sat...but not THIS time...grrr...this setback threw the whole schedule out of whack. Traffic still wasnt unbearable but not so thin as I'm used to.

The other deal with springs and ride quality is that I'm sure a lot of you know the road quality up north leaves a lot to be desired...plus when you have back issues ride comfort becomes a much higher priority.

I'm also spretty sure it has to be axles as well since hubs and tie rod ends have already been replaced. New mounts may have dampened the vibration to a degree it obviously wasnt the cause. Next question is do I really want to get in there and swap them out in this frame of mind. $189 a side feels a bit steep,especially since my Sebring needs a serp belt as well...look like another wrenching weekend coming up.

#24855 - 03/26/08 02:09 PM Re: vibration still here
Blackarrow98GP Offline
I've got a feeling the problem is the axles as well...in case you missed it, Tbat, see this thread: NEED HELP ASAP
#24856 - 03/26/08 02:16 PM Re: vibration still here
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I called it in the second reply. :p
#24857 - 03/26/08 02:21 PM Re: vibration still here
Blackarrow98GP Offline
I told him earlier than that, via PM... darthvader
#24858 - 03/26/08 03:20 PM Re: vibration still here
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Only thing left would be a shot torque converter.
#24859 - 03/26/08 05:14 PM Re: vibration still here
ThunderBat Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Only thing left would be a shot torque converter.
Stop tryin to cheer me up ok Herc? lol

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3