Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25074 - 11/25/03 11:09 AM wheel sensor
Al Offline
Loc: Tx
My ABS, low trac and tire pressure light is on in my car. took the car to the dealer and they told me that i need to get the sensor replaced which would cost me about $700 because they would have to replace the hub, i wanted to know if this is the only way to get it replaced. thanks for the help.
#25075 - 11/25/03 01:10 PM Re: wheel sensor
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
Probobly not. Dealerships just want to rape and pillage. I would try to find out where this sensor thing is and see if you could clean it up and get it to work. My ABS light used to come on in my Bronco. It was a little plug in electronic looking thing next to the master cylinder. I discovered moisture had gotten into it, so I dried it really well with paper towels and a hair dryer. I plugged it back and the ABS light went off. With all the rain we've had this year, it wouldn't surprise me it was moisture getting into the electronics. $700.00 is a lot of cash. Look into it a bit more before forking over your money. Good luck.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#25076 - 11/25/03 08:13 PM Re: wheel sensor
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
The problem with getting stuff like that off the back of a truck is that you won't have any way to return it if it's not what you needed. Is it new in the box? If yes, then bring it to another garage and see what they would charge to install it. I bet a lot less than the dealer. I am not familiar with this repair so unfortunately I am not able to give you instructions. Ask if anyone knows how to install one of these thing-a-ma-jigs. Maybe another club member might have the info. If it's complicated, I would get a pro to do it. Good luck.
JackO

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#25077 - 11/26/03 05:51 AM Re: wheel sensor
400Bear Offline
Loc: Farmington, Illinois 61531
Bad news. frown The hub and the sensor are built together and have to be changed as one unit. I think that if the Hub wasn't to expensive, any local mechanic that has worked on FWD cars shouldn't have a problem changing it.
#25078 - 11/26/03 07:24 AM Re: wheel sensor
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I'm not endorsing anyone to ignore brake problems, it's probably one of the worst things you can do. But I ignore my Low Trac light cause I need a new wheel sensor. All that happens to mine is that the ABS kicks in while I'm stopping. The speed sensor is telling the computer that my wheel has stopped moving. I ignore this, even though it is ignoring.
See if you can turn off the low pressure light yourself. Find the yellow button under the steering wheel and hold it. See if you can reset it. If you can, it might all be bullshit.
#25079 - 12/07/03 08:00 PM Re: wheel sensor
Jeff3800 Offline
Loc: se michigan
Quote:
See if you can turn off the low pressure light yourself. Find the yellow button under the steering wheel and hold it. See if you can reset it. If you can, it might all be bullshit.
The wheel speed sensor is what is telling the tire pressure light to come on. The tire pressure monitoring system works by comparing wheel speeds though the wheel speed sensors. You will need to replace the entire hub assembly the sensor is sealed in with the bearing to keep it clean and protected. $700 sounds like a lot however. Shop around
#25080 - 12/09/03 02:16 PM Re: wheel sensor
buzzyboy Offline
Loc: New Britain CT
Hi, I'm new to this site and my reason for joining was that I have exactly the same gripe or issue. My ABS light and trac lite along with tire pressure light recently came on simaultaneously and bringing it to a GM dealer, he quoted a price of $600 to replace it. That is totally ridiculuous to me! When I recently went to a Monroe Muffler dealer for an oil change they noted the problem after the oil change and one of the guys said that they could do the job for something in the neighborhood of $350. That is still a lot of money for me at this time and I'm not sure how this broken wire in the wheel hub has effected my car. It seems like my brakes work well and I'm not sure what is actually going on with my traction control but if I were able to resolve this for a couple of hundred dollars I probably would. I just don't seem to have the extra cash to do it. I tried going on line to look for a right front wheel hub but got absolutely no response. I may have done a lousy job of finding parts places on line. Any help would surely be appreciated!!!!!1111
#25081 - 12/09/03 04:44 PM Re: wheel sensor
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
gmpartsdirect.com

pn= 12429204
price=$200.85
shipping=$40.17

this is for the entire hub assy. ABS sensor, Hub, and bearings