Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26448 - 06/24/07 12:46 PM hybrid CAI
Stauffie'sGTP Offline
Loc: Illionis
So...i guess the guy who originally owned my car was a evil mastermind of somesort...because i went to lowe's last night and bought the stuff i needed for a CAI. It was raining last night so i didn't bother messing with it, but this morning i decided to go ahead and fix it up. Well...first thing i noticed before taking the factory airbox off was that there was some PVC pipe coming from the fender right there...so after i got the factory box off i find that he attempted to get better airflow by rigging up a scoop inside the fender to bring up fresh air...i thought about it awhile and decide it was a plausable idea. So all i ended up doing was curving the filter with pvc pipe right above where the pipe from the fender comes up. I'm not sure if it's a good idea...because i don't have a box anymore...but it should be sucking cooler air from the bumper shouldn't it? I'll try and get some pics. sometime soon...

~Stauffie

p.s.-sorry this was so long...
#26449 - 06/24/07 03:15 PM Re: hybrid CAI
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The stock piping is still very restrictive with all the silencers and such on it. What you gain in "cold air" your losing in volume of air.
#26450 - 06/25/07 09:46 AM Re: hybrid CAI
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
i dont understand what you did exactly.

Pics?
#26451 - 06/25/07 01:56 PM Re: hybrid CAI
20gtp02 Offline
I think he just has a pipe going from bottom of bumper that routes to the filter in the bay which is routing cooler air from below straight to the filter. Like a FWI without the filter near the bumper.

#26452 - 06/25/07 04:30 PM Re: hybrid CAI
Stauffie'sGTP Offline
basically it is a fenderwell intake but the filter is in the engine compartment instead of the fender...its kinda of like getting best of both worlds? maybe? i'm probably gonna be building a box to make it an officail CAI...right now its like a warm air intake...

~Stauffie
#26453 - 06/25/07 04:56 PM Re: hybrid CAI
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I would say you are getting cooler air than the stock airbox, but the cooler air that you are getting is incredibly restricted. Between the length of the tubing, the size/shape of the airbox, etc.

I think it's a very poor design, but that's just my opinion.
#26454 - 06/25/07 05:32 PM Re: hybrid CAI
Stauffie'sGTP Offline
well right now there is no box...its just open filter...and the length of the actual tubing for the intake isn't very long...really its just factory tubing curved to the fender...there is tubing in the fender(aka FWI)but there isn't any filter and its not connected to the actual intake...its just bringing fresh air into the engine compartment and the filter is restign above where the tubing comes out...i'll try and get some pics to better explain it...but me and my girlfriend are giving each other space, and she has the camera i use.. frown

~Stauffie