Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26649 - 12/31/05 02:47 PM window motor
joemn Offline
Loc: maple grove, mn
my drivers window stopped moving. I took off the door panel and the cable is broke. dang. they don't sell cables. I got an aftermarket unit for $110. its a 2 door and they cost more. the window goes down but not up. I took apart the cable drum housing on the old motor to see how its wound. hmm, I carefully swapped my old motor onto the new drum housing and the motor does go up/down but its real slow going up. the store will only give me another unit. no money back. or they might refund me but I need the cable. I am stuck. I don't really see any adjustments that i can make to the track. maybe try a little silicone spray on the window track?
#26650 - 12/31/05 04:19 PM Re: window motor
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
a little silicone lube on the track and no one sells just the cable. My motor went out on the up side and took my door apart to fix and found that the cabling on mine was mis routed for the upside. I believe thats one reason mine was soo slow going up and it put an excess strain on the motor. I undid the drum and couldn't figure out how to make it work again. I could get it to wind one way but not the other frown So I'm replacing the whole regulator here in the next couple weeks.

If you can get some ends put on some cable and you know how to rewind the drum so it works both ways you can go to your local hardware store and make your own cable.
#26651 - 01/01/06 11:52 AM Re: window motor
joemn Offline
Loc: maple grove, mn
when I took the drum apart, the cable was pretty wasted inside. I could not get my window down to remove the regulator track so I cut the remaining cable and pulled the glass down. its fairly easy to get the track out of the door. if you did try and replace just the cable, the wire has to be cut to exactly the right length and than have the proper anchors on the wire ends. that would be real hard to measure without having a good cable as a guide. I tried a little silicone on the fuzzy guide on the end opposite the hinge and it seems to work better. I don't think silicone spray on the track inside the door will do much.
#26652 - 01/01/06 12:26 PM Re: window motor
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I don't know. I do know it takes some big time effort to move that window up frown I'm half tempted to take the door panel off my truck to see how those electric windows operate. You'd think GM would save cash and use similar systems across the line. That window operates so much easier then the GP. One of these days when it's not so cold out maybe.