Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26805 - 05/04/02 01:11 PM Help!! Serious fluid leak.
sanscritt Offline
Loc: Indiana
Hi all,
I installed a B&M tranny cooler today and now I am leaking transmission
everywhere. It is leaking from the radiator itself and not the hoses. I used the
mounting kit with zip ties the came with the cooler and now there is transmission
fluid welling up out of the radiator and running down.

I mounted the cooler on the left side of the radiator facing the car. The fluid wells
out of the engine side of the radiator.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
#26806 - 05/04/02 10:56 PM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
Shag Finger Offline
Loc: Born and raised in Baltimore, ...
Is it coming out of the core part where the little fins are? If so then I can only guess that you punctured the core itself. Only real way to tell is to go over everything with a fine tooth comb.
#26807 - 05/05/02 01:31 PM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
sanscritt Offline
I realized after looking closer, that it is coolant and it's welling up out of the fins
in the areas where the ties come through the radiator. I know I will have to replace
it. I didn't realize that a plastic tie would damage the radiator. Oh well, live and learn.

Does anyone know how much radiators are for these cars? Can it be repaired?
Is there an aftermarket replacement that works? And finally how hard is it to
take out?

Thanks for any help,
Jerry
#26808 - 05/05/02 11:13 PM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
Shag Finger Offline
Loc: Born and raised in Baltimore, ...
Wowie..cant help ya there since I havent done a rad on this car yet. They used to be cake on my old early 70s stuff. I am also not sure if there is an aftermarket one but if you are looking for greater cooling then one out of an Impala with the cop package might do something for ya. But again I am not sure. Sorry.
#26809 - 05/06/02 12:36 PM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
MrQuija Offline
Loc: Derwood, MD
OUCH!! eek eek I mounted my B&M cooler the same way, with zipties and those foam spacers. Did you tighten it down super tight? I dont see how it oculd have happened. mine has been on there for close to 60k miles now and I haven't had any problems yet.
#26810 - 05/08/02 11:48 PM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
sanscritt Offline
Yeah, I think I may have overtightened them. I was having trouble reaching the backs to cut off the excess and that may have been what happened frown

On the upside I have ordered the ZZPerformance radiator. Considering the price of a new one from the dealer is almost $500, I get a bigger radiator for half the price and support the GP aftermarket. smile

Thanks for the help,
Jerry
#26811 - 05/09/02 10:42 AM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
crazyliver Offline
Loc: Canada
rads are easy to change. you have to disconnect the rad hoses, the tranny fluid lines, remove the dog bone mounts, remove the 2 cooling fans, and then the rad just pops out. the rad is only held in by 2 bolts, on the top. make sure you are carefull around the AC core and lines.

Yeah it sucks when you do something dumb, when I mounted my tranny cooler, I was drilling a hole in the rad support, the drill slipped and went right through the AC core. AHHHH. Not too friendly. a $500 mistake.
#26812 - 05/09/02 08:33 PM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
sanscritt Offline
I got it out today. It looks like I did the major damage when I was trying to cut off the excess tie. I also received my ZZPerformance radiator. The only problem with it is the transmission line connectors are too big for the inlets on the new radiator. I have to find an adaptor before I can finish and get my car back on the road.

sanscritt
#26813 - 05/10/02 10:10 AM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
crazyliver Offline
I would be telling Zoomer this, he shouldn't be selling products that do not fit on the car. It might save someone else in the future the same problem.

Steve
#26814 - 05/10/02 10:11 AM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
crazyliver Offline
also, if you only cut one line (core) of the rad, I am sure taking it to a radiator place, they should be able to fix it. then you can send the new rad back.
#26815 - 05/10/02 10:24 AM Re: Help!! Serious fluid leak.
sanscritt Offline
I've already emailed Zoooomer about the radiator not fitting and am awaiting his reply. As for fixing the old radiator, I talked to a local shop and they said they could fix it if it isn't an aluminum radiator which they are. Oh well, I have the new one, now I just need to get it in.

Jerry