Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29094 - 07/27/07 12:29 AM mod bug has a gun to my head: rockers or alky injection?
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I need a late-fall mod to plan on. Nothing right away here...
I know the best idea is a cam, but its out of the question right now because it would probably make enough power to bust my tranny (maybe not, but I said I would stop after the supercharger, for tranny's sake). I'd also probably max my injectors then, and its more than I want to spend this year.

A lot of you will probably tell me rockers because its the more standard thing to do, and most people don't know or bother with alcohol injection, although its quite proven.
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/
Injection will probably end up being cheaper since I'll probably run into a used kit and grab it for 200 or less. Also this way I could cam down the road and not have to screw with taking out the rockers and those costs.

Rockers would be slightly more expensive, I'm guessing will have the same amount of power potential here, and also more long-term-reliable.
Also, I'm not really up on which kind would be best for my L36 centrifugal supercharged.

thoughts/input?
#29095 - 07/27/07 12:59 AM Re: mod bug has a gun to my head: rockers or alky injection?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Seems like you've answered most of your own questions,as far as rockers I would say some 1.9 RR's used they can be had for around $200 and I would'nt be afraid of HS if there used and show no signs of wear they're good.Chico(pops)
#29096 - 07/27/07 01:30 AM Re: mod bug has a gun to my head: rockers or alky injection?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Rockers. It's there, you never have to refill, and it works. Besides, you have to remove rockers to install a cam anyway. smile
#29097 - 07/27/07 03:07 AM Re: mod bug has a gun to my head: rockers or alky injection?
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
If you're not wanting to do cam just yet, I'd go rockers as well... you may max out those 33# injectors anyhow if you go much further, but only scanning will tell.

Do they sell intercoolers for your application? I think that'd be an awesome next mod for you as well.

I think you need to accept that your tranny will break sooner or later... heck, you're probably already deep into the 13's with that car... once you're past the inevitable tranny issue (R&R with a race built unit), happy modding and far less worries are sure to come! devilgrin hammer

'97 SE with alot of mods
#29098 - 07/27/07 10:57 AM Re: mod bug has a gun to my head: rockers or alky injection?
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
Given the options I'd go for rockers... The Yella Terra's in my opinion are of a much higher quality than the Harland Sharps. I've seen both and was much more impressed with the YT's. I think the power potential for the rockers is higher than Alky.

With Alky all you're doing is cooling off the combustion mixture. With rockers you are opening the valves further and getting more of the mixture into the cylinders there by producing more power and also allowing it to expel exhaust gasses faster, keeping things a bit cooler.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#29099 - 07/27/07 11:15 AM Re: mod bug has a gun to my head: rockers or alky injection?
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Yeah I'm leaning towards rockers if I can find a good used set.
The unique aspect of alky still draws my attention. Two interesting main mods barely anyone has: novi and alky... noncomformity is my style devilsmile

ZZP/Stattama will sell me a huge intercooler (water-air) for $1100 last time I checked. Serious power there. I could also piece a crappy one together from ebay parts for around $400-450, but I think intercooling should go all out.

My overall game plan is to wait till I know what kind of masters degree funding I'm getting. I should know really soon... but if its mostly paid for (by grants for my research) then I will be installing a nice ZZP trans and their IC as soon as I have $4500 sitting around, which may be next summer if things keep going well. Oh heck, might as well throw in a cam while the transmissions out. So trans/cam/IC in one shot basically. I'm not camming or ICing till I have a reliable tranny anyway.
I think thats the setup (or better) of what ZZP used to make 485 crank HP with years back.