Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29484 - 12/29/09 11:26 AM should i change to green over dexcool?
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
I'm sure this has been asked and looking thru the search I didn't see a whole lot with the limited amount of time I have right now!

Anyways, I'm going to be changing out the LIM gaskets sometime after the first of the new year and was wondering, should I change to the green coolant or just do a good flush and stick with dexcool? The car has about 196k on it, can't remember, but of my knowledge, the dexcool has never been changed or flushed. Although, when the water pump went out before we realized it which was a good amount of time, we had to add coolant to the car. I would say we put in at least a new gallon of dexcool if not more during the period of time that the car was using it! Even though it hasn't been changed, it has received some new over the years.

I would just like to get your take on it. If I should change it, what is the best way to do the flush on it and get the old out for the new? I know a lot of people have gone to green, sure people have stuck with dexcool, so I thought I'd ask.

Appreciate any help. If I don't get a chance to respond or get back on the net for a few days, just want to wish everybody a happy new year!
dhp 1.0
#29485 - 12/29/09 11:37 AM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
Richard Candelario Offline
the biggest consensus here is that you should steer away from Dex-Cool. I decided to stay with Dex-Cool, and havent had too much trouble with it.

If you wanna get rid of it, flush, reverse-flush, flush, cycle fluid through, pressure flush, and repeat. Or something drastic like that. When Dex-Cool and green stuff mixes, it aint pretty. When Dex-Cool and air mixes, it corrodes. Make sure all of one or the other coolant is COMPLETELY gone before using new stuff.

Happy New Year to you, too.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#29486 - 12/29/09 12:41 PM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
nyjets91 Offline
Loc: Wallingford/Hartford, CT
Personally, I would just flush the system really well, and then go with new Dexcool. In a few minutes, though, I'd bet that someone will tell you to get rid of it and go green...
#29487 - 12/29/09 02:24 PM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
D C or green they both are OK as long as you flush and clean your system every couple of years ,but if you've allowed your system to get corroded and nasty then flush and change to green.Chico(pops)
#29488 - 12/29/09 03:29 PM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
ChrisGT Offline
Loc: Cranston, RI
Dex-cool hasn't failed me yet. Idk where some people come with the green stuff keeps your engine cooler.

04 GTO M6 | HE SS Clutch | Kooks LT's | SLP LM2 | K&N
Soon: APS TT kit wink

SOLD \/
01 GT | STr5 cam | PT-67 | 18-22psi

#29489 - 12/29/09 03:36 PM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
Richard Candelario Offline
I dont think I have ever heard or read that green cools better than Dex-Cool. I have read that the green will not corrode like the GM stuff. Green was also more agreeable with the old gaskets than orange. Thats what Ive read and experienced, not that green performs better. Matter of fact, GM performs better longer than the other stuff.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#29490 - 01/06/10 08:53 PM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
There is also a big recall involving dexcool on some GM models. It destroys the intake manifold gaskets or something like that.

Red/Green they probably cool the same. Personally I like the taste of green better.
#29491 - 01/06/10 10:41 PM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
Yea lots of law suits for multiple head gasket jobs because of Dex cool, I'd lose that asap.
#29492 - 01/07/10 01:03 AM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
I already add my name for dex cool lawsuit for my summer car. Got some $$$ back last year.

I think Chico is right. I should change it couple years instead wait like 10 years or 100,000 mileages from what owner book say.

There are mixed answers. Some of them have a good luck with Dex Cool. Some of them have a bad luck with Dex Cool.

Also, I remember someone mentioned that green coolant acid can ate gasket.

I'm already have a new Dex Cool couple months ago during polish engine look. Still running good. I'm on 3rd Dex Cool change.
#29493 - 01/29/10 02:18 AM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
CB9050 Offline
Loc: Holyoke, MA
I've never had a problem with dex cool. I flush every two years or so.

Near future: Gen V, N*, XP, and all supporting mods...
#29494 - 02/25/10 09:32 AM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
Grizzlor Offline
Loc: New Jersey
Have to flush system, guess I should ditch Dex-Cool? 2003/57K miles always had DC. I see recommendations for Peak Global, but I don't think Autozone or Advance sell it? Is Peak Long Life good enough? Is 50/50 predilluted a bad idea?
#29495 - 02/25/10 10:31 AM Re: should i change to green over dexcool?
20gtp02 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
D C or green they both are OK as long as you flush and clean your system every couple of years ,but if you've allowed your system to get corroded and nasty then flush and change to green.Chico(pops)
Beat me to it.