Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30439 - 10/15/02 04:28 PM Where to begin?
Robotech Offline
Loc: Riverside, CA
I have a 1997 GTP and have no idea where to begin on this newest project. I've tricked out some old VWs but have never worked on the newer cars so I'm new to this.

Eventually, I want to do as much as I can to this car while keeping it street legal. I want to start updating 0-60 time but also need to address 60-0 and handling.

I understand some basic principles, such as an exhaust system is in my near future but should I go with a cat back system or have one custom done? Is it better to look at going with a new SC Pulley first or a new air intake system? Can I put a Ram Air on this car, will it be a big difference compared to a cold air intake compared to a K&N cone filter? ETC.

Any help here in getting me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I have wanted one of these cars since they came out and now finally have one. It is a fantastic car and is pretty fast now but would love to do more to it. I guess the best way to sum up how I feel about this car is the look I saw on some poor kid's face in his late 80's 300Z Turbo with it's big wing and import decals aplenty looking over at the "Grandpa mobile" showing him nothing but tail lights.

Thanks again for any help you may be able to provide.
#30440 - 10/16/02 04:54 PM Re: Where to begin?
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
My suggestion would be to start to get the car breathing better on its own, THEN get the pulley. If you try to cram more air in with a stock air-intake and exhaust, you'll get very minimal gains.

Regarding the custom or manufactured catbacks, it's all personal opinion. The nice thing about retail catbacks is that a shadetree can install them in a driveway, instead of taking it to the muffler shop. Any way you go, it's all up to the sound you want.

And last point was ram-air. There are a number of ram-air hoods on the market and most suggest using a ram-air airbox for best results. The Grand Prix Store has some hoods, as do other retailers.

Good luck with this project, and have fun. If you stage out the upgrades, you'll have a sweet car and minimize your chances of breaking things.

ferb!
#30441 - 10/16/02 09:10 PM Re: Where to begin?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,
I've seen many debates on this issue, but here's what I intrpreted over all.....
A cold air box is just as efficient as a ram air setup on the S/C GTP because of the blower. The air is not getting "rammed" hard enough to make a difference w/ the super charger that already mechanically rams the air in. Unless you're doing 100+ mph. Even then, the air seems to get deflected over the hood at highway speeds, you can watch the raindrops on the hood, they don't seem to move very fast., I believe there is no benefit to a ram air hood, vs the cold air box.
On the other hand, I love the look of the ram air hoods, especially the ones w/ heat extractors. So, if nothing else, you can do it for looks.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com