Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30810 - 07/25/02 06:57 PM Problems With Change Oil Light
Tony Offline
Loc: IL
i have changed oil 3 times i reset the GM oil monitor but when i start the car the light still comes up and then goes away why doesn't it go away completely. ALso my radio some times messes up in the heat the display goes weird then goes back to normal please helpppppppp
#30811 - 07/28/02 08:05 PM Re: Problems With Change Oil Light
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Not to ask a really stupid question, but is this out of the ordinary? (i.e. abnormal behaviour) My buddy's '99 SE does the same thing, but will stay illuminated when it needs to be changed. I just figured it was illuminating for the first second because of low oil pressure, not because it needed an oil change.

ferb!
#30812 - 08/02/02 11:51 PM Re: Problems With Change Oil Light
Tony Offline
Loc: IL
Nah it not low pressure when i bought the car the light never came on once i started after 3000 the light cam e on that i needed to change oil so i did then i did the reset for the gm oil monitor and now when i start the car it comes up for a while then goes away now i don't know when i need a oil change so i write it down
#30813 - 08/14/02 11:53 PM Re: Problems With Change Oil Light
EVIL98GT Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Im not sure what car or options you have but i have the Fancy computer that reads MPG,gallons used,Range and oil life. The oil life is so unnaccurate. it will read 90% good and i have my reg 2500 miles on the change. My moms gt has the less fancy change oil soon light and it has alwasy came on for a few secs @ start up. just ignore and change your oil based on certain miles not some computer.
#30814 - 08/26/02 05:24 PM Re: Problems With Change Oil Light
gary Offline
Loc: San Diego
I believe the "Change Oil Soon" light always lights up when you start your car (to verify it's still functioning), but will go out after a couple seconds. When it determines you're ready for an oil change, it will remain lit for about 10 seconds. It has happened to me only once that way, the rest of the time, I've changed my oil before the counter determined that I needed to. I put on about 12K miles a year, and change the oil every 4 months - 10W-30 Nov-Feb, 30wt Mar-Jun & 30wt Jul-Oct. In the dead of winter my car's starting temperature is never below 50 degrees F. Spring, Summer and Fall it's usually around 70 degrees F.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo