Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30876 - 09/14/05 03:51 PM SES Light suddenly flashes, then stays on...
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
Driving home from the college today (about a 15 mile drive) and some Taurus was riding my bumper, so I started mashing the gas more and more till I was going about 85-90, when the SES light on my dash flashing caught my attention. I almost started freaking out, but my car was still running decently.

It seemed as if it was on a bad day and wasn't wanting to have the greatest throttle response, but that's normal for my car every once in awhile. The weather is hot and muggy and just nasty, and it doens't like that.

Well anyway, now my SES light is on, and I guess the only thing I can do is take it to AutoZone and have them scan to see what codes it's throwing. I'm gonna leave early for work this evening so I can stop by there and have them scan it for me. I hope to god it's not something really bad, becuase I'm not ready to pay $1500 to replace a damn tranny or some crap.

What are some of the things the SES light is triggered for?? I know it's triggered for misfires, but what else?? Transmission problems? Gasket problems?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#30877 - 09/14/05 03:57 PM Re: SES Light suddenly flashes, then stays on...
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
It can trigger on just about anything electrical in the car. O2 sensors, TPS, coil packs, tranny/engine parts, and the list goes on. If it's electrical, chances are it's got a SES code that can be activated.
#30878 - 09/15/05 12:12 AM Re: SES Light suddenly flashes, then stays on...
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
Well, I got all kinds of updates. Hopefully someone can help me with these problems.

I took it to AutoZone to get it scanned, and the code it threw was a misfire on the 6th cylinder (which is in the back frown ) But I just changed plugs and wires less than 10K ago, could it be that I already need new plugs??

Well then between autozone and work, the SES light turned itself off. I kept starting it every few hours to see if it came on, and it didn't, so I thought I got out of whatever problem I was having.

Well when I got off work, at 10 tonight, I went out and started it, and boom, no SES light, but instead, a Low Oil Level light. So I checked my oil, and sure enough, i had about a quarter inch of oil on the dipstick. So I had a buddy take me to walmart and bought some oil to put in it to temporarily take care of that problem. I also bought some fuel injector cleaner because I planned on filling up on the way home.

Well after I filled up, I made sure my gas cap was super tight, and headed home. I was on the highway crusing (cruise control on) about 80 with no problems. Then I came to a hill, which required the tranny to downshift to 3rd to climb the hill at 80 mph, and as soon as the tranny shifted to 3rd, the SES light started flashing again, and now it's on again.

I'm not sure what's going on. I'm burning oil or something, I've got a misfire in cylinder 6 somehow. I dunno if this is all connected, or if my car is just going to hell one day at a time. (let's hope not)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should start out by doing?

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.